Bad news for forecourt LPG

Damn! Morrisons was our closest and cheapest oh well off to the boat marina in future.
Even with the increasing markup the remaining suppliers will inevitably add, I suspect refilling will still remain cheaper than buying bottles for a long time. If not it’s not exactly difficult to change from one system to another.

When ordering the new van I was undecided what kind of heating I wanted, and gave much thought towards LPG. But just in the Nick of time I went for diesel.
I have a 13kg and 6kg Calor, but even though expensive for all I will be using now it’s almost irrelevant. The Truma diesel pump does make the annoying tapping noise, but I hope to limit this by insulating the pump from the body when the weather gets better. The diesel boiler hardly uses any fuel, and it heats the van up faster than the previous gas system. I was going to go diesel/electric, but that would have added £600 to the cost. I bought this Govee heater instead which cab be controlled using bluetouth or remotely using Wi-Fi from the app. I already had the Govee fridge thermometer which runs from the same app. Amazon are selling these for £35 now.

I have to say I think people need to think ahead and by the biggest tank you can. I advised a friend of mine recently which fell on deaf ears. I'm full-time and my tank lasts us between 3 and 4 months at a time. I haven't found it a problem although it's a shame the petrol stations are getting rid .

The method I use is generally two weeks or a bit more on the 11kg Gaslow and if we havent moved or no LPG available switch to Calor until such time as I can find an LPG station. That way ill never run out of gas in theory. Once the calor runs out ill switch back to the Gaslow then go off on the scooter with the empty Calor for a replacement as and when its convenient. Generally you can always find someone selling Calor although there have been shortages of those also.

Different system required in EU.

When ordering the new van I was undecided what kind of heating I wanted, and gave much thought towards LPG. But just in the Nick of time I went for diesel.
I have a 13kg and 6kg Calor, but even though expensive for all I will be using now it’s almost irrelevant. The Truma diesel pump does make the annoying tapping noise, but I hope to limit this by insulating the pump from the body when the weather gets better. The diesel boiler hardly uses any fuel, and it heats the van up faster than the previous gas system. I was going to go diesel/electric, but that would have added £600 to the cost. I bought this Govee heater instead which cab be controlled using bluetouth or remotely using Wi-Fi from the app. I already had the Govee fridge thermometer which runs from the same app. Amazon are selling these for £35 now.

that heater looks quite neat. I had one of those IR type heaters which started making worrying noise last year and I bought a cheap 2-bar IR heater replacement which failed just yesterday in fact, so might look at that govee one (need one in my Loft Studio rather than Motorhome - got 2 different fitted electric heaters in the Motorhome already!)

Different system required in EU.

Its not a problem in the EU though or at least it wasnt last time we went. I dont even bother taking the Calor to Europe as LPG stations are or were much more frequent.

Luckily we have a independent gas supplier Preston gas centre who told me last week they have no intention to stop selling auto gas

Its not a problem in the EU though or at least it wasnt last time we went. I dont even bother taking the Calor to Europe as LPG stations are or were much more frequent.
I haven’t noticed there is a problem in the U.K. at all so far Barry, so much so I don’t bother carrying both refillables any more.

I haven’t noticed there is a problem in the U.K. at all so far Barry, so much so I don’t bother carrying both refillables any more.

Its maybe our style of touring and where we go. We managed last summer and the one before (both five month trips) but I really had to plan ahead and call up the few stations that were on the LPG map in advance to check they had a working pump. The biggest problem was probably that we might spend two or three weeks in one place say in Devon and move maybe 100 miles and stop another two or three weeks. Often there were only one or two stations on route and maybe only one operable. Even on the Yorkshire coast where we often stay for a while its been either a 40 mile round trip or swapping to the Calor. They do seem to be in decline.

In the past in Europe its just been a case of stopping every couple of weeks at random stations which seemed to be plentiful.

You don't have to buy LPG from a forecourt, in rural areas (Shropshire) the farmers sell it, the local builders yard in Telford sells it so I think you just have to look for it and support those type of people instead of the big boys like BP, Shell and Morrisons. In fact I went to Redhiil Farm the other day and he's had a second pump and tank fitted prpably because Calor closed their pump to the public and now all the taxi drivers all go to him instead. When it's gone it's gone and then we'll have to use the "green" replacement.

Regards,
Del

You don't have to buy LPG from a forecourt, in rural areas (Shropshire) the farmers sell it, the local builders yard in Telford sells it so I think you just have to look for it and support those type of people instead of the big boys like BP, Shell and Morrisons. In fact I went to Redhiil Farm the other day and he's had a second pump and tank fitted prpably because Calor closed their pump to the public and now all the taxi drivers all go to him instead. When it's gone it's gone and then we'll have to use the "green" replacement.

Regards,
Del

Thats a great idea but unless they are listed on one of the online LPG maps unless you are local and in the know most people wont find them. Ill tend to start checking whats on route a few days before we move. Generally you want to find something thats either on the route or a mile or so off it. Not that easy these days.

The van's coming up to seven years old, so it's time to start thinking about a refit. I would have liked to do a new van, but prices are too high and the Boxer is barely run in. When I built the van in 2017 I looked at doing away with gas and only using diesel and electric, but we wanted an oven so I put in the refillable gas tank and also used it for heating.
Wallas now do a diesel oven, stove heater combo a bit pricey, other manufacturers could be making something similar, so it could be worth looking into.

The van's coming up to seven years old, so it's time to start thinking about a refit. I would have liked to do a new van, but prices are too high and the Boxer is barely run in. When I built the van in 2017 I looked at doing away with gas and only using diesel and electric, but we wanted an oven so I put in the refillable gas tank and also used it for heating.
Wallas now do a diesel oven, stove heater combo a bit pricey, other manufacturers could be making something similar, so it could be worth looking into.
Good idea for self builds but could be difficult for factory built coschbuilt/ A class vehicles 🤔 I've looked round my Hymer and it doesn't look like a viable option to me ☹️ and the dream of all electric in the UK is just that, a dream.
As a full timer LPG is still the best option for me.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Thats a great idea but unless they are listed on one of the online LPG maps unless you are local and in the know most people wont find them. Ill tend to start checking whats on route a few days before we move. Generally you want to find something thats either on the route or a mile or so off it. Not that easy these days.
It's up to us to add them to the apps when we come across them and updating existing ones also helps keep it all up to date. That way the app becomes more useful 👍

Regards,
Del

Whilst you can find lpg in Europe much more easily than here, there is evidence that it is disappearing. Using the apps. available you quite often arrive to find the pump is gone, luckily there is always another down the road,for now.

I liked the look of this so checked out Amazon and found what looks like a sweet deal :)

I bought this one - https://amzn.to/49mC80G - which arrived today.
It is the H713A model rather than the H713B. Not sure what the difference is apart from the shape (A is square sided, B is round).
71Fe6fax3XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On Amazon is is supposedly £100 normally, but is currently on a 40% discount deal so listed at £60
But if you click on the White one rather than the Black one, you can redeem a 10% discount promo code, which takes it down to £54.
Then you click on the Apply Voucher box to get £15 off, which takes it down to £39 :)

Wireless & Bluetooth control and will turn off when it hits the required temperature, plus you can control it using Alexa. For example I just said "Set Govee Heater to 21" and she answers back "Thermostat is set to 21" and the heater just turned off (as over 21 in the room).
You have the App control as well.
Plus of course, actual buttons on top (but I think it is really meant for remote control to use it to its best)

I bought this for my Loft Studio where I currently have one of those IR heaters, but the bright light from the heat bars is quite annoying, so when one bar failed, it was an good excuse to get this new one, which has a not too obtrusive fan and no bright elements to disturb :)

I liked the look of this so checked out Amazon and found what looks like a sweet deal :)

I bought this one - https://amzn.to/49mC80G - which arrived today.
It is the H713A model rather than the H713B. Not sure what the difference is apart from the shape (A is square sided, B is round).
71Fe6fax3XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On Amazon is is supposedly £100 normally, but is currently on a 40% discount deal so listed at £60
But if you click on the White one rather than the Black one, you can redeem a 10% discount promo code, which takes it down to £54.
Then you click on the Apply Voucher box to get £15 off, which takes it down to £39 :)

Wireless & Bluetooth control and will turn off when it hits the required temperature, plus you can control it using Alexa. For example I just said "Set Govee Heater to 21" and she answers back "Thermostat is set to 21" and the heater just turned off (as over 21 in the room).
You have the App control as well.
Plus of course, actual buttons on top (but I think it is really meant for remote control to use it to its best)

I bought this for my Loft Studio where I currently have one of those IR heaters, but the bright light from the heat bars is quite annoying, so when one bar failed, it was an good excuse to get this new one, which has a not too obtrusive fan and no bright elements to disturb :)
Better lay low David, I think the cops may chap your door and do you for theft :)

Better lay low David, I think the cops may chap your door and do you for theft :)
I am actually very tempted to get a second one as it is a good price and a very controllable product
(we have underfloor heating downstairs and it is very poor in terms of flexibility - if it is colder than expected, can take hours to warm up the room!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back