Bad/good news?

Loretta

The story so far!
Xmas this year has to be in Portugal as I have a new god daughter and this is her first xmas ( she just 4 months and just started giggling) so booked the air tickets well in advance. Didn't even bother with staff discount just full payed tickets. Just got the news that the pilots might be on strike (as usual). That's the bad news.
Good news: I HAVE A MOTORHOME!!!
A bit of a rush but I think I can make if I leave on the evening of the 19th and be back by the evening of the 28th. that' the only days I can take off.
What you guys think?
BTW going to Portalegre, Portugal
So the plan is leave late Friday 19th arrive Monday and then leave PT on the morning of 26th Friday and arrive back at the UK on Sunday.
BTW there is not going to be a problem with drink because we celebrate xmas eve not the day
I know its going to be expensive on Diesel but what the hell you cannot take money with you when you die.

Boa Viagem

Up north eh ?

Better bring some woollies ! Brrr ! 38 C in the Algarve sun today, 18 in the shade

Diesel has just gone down to 1.11€ at Intermarche.

May want to look at ferry prices to Spain.
I wouldn't go by ferry, but I know many prefer to.
I'll be heading pretty much that way on the 19/20th too. No crossing booked yet though.

never took the santander-day and a half drive from cherbourg to algarve- no problem !

I'll be heading pretty much that way on the 19/20th too. No crossing booked yet though.

Tunnel. tend to get sea sick. If you book a passage after mid night and before 6 in the morning it tends to be cheap ish
what I have done with the car is going just after midnight sleep a bit in Calais or there abouts and really start in the morning,
BTW live in London so 2 hours to the tunnel

Pretty similar, get a few hours done in France. Driving at night is so easy. Looks like tickets are gone for that time though.

I went to Lisbon...

in September and did it in a day and a half from Northern Loire valley, and that was with an 8 hour stop over in northern Spain, did use some toll roads in France . just up to get the baggie for breakfast and diesel was 110.9. also look out for Total Access garages on your way, they are only a cent more than the supermarket. Have a great trip and have a nice warm Christmas

Have fun

Hi inglejano,

We are just back from Europe,and were in Lisbon for a couple of days.You will find the diesel quite cheap we paid 1.15 last week near Calais the roads are empty over there apart from Paris.Have a great trip and a happy Christmas with your family.

Snowbirds.:dance:

The story so far!
Xmas this year has to be in Portugal as I have a new god daughter and this is her first xmas ( she just 4 months and just started giggling) so booked the air tickets well in advance. Didn't even bother with staff discount just full payed tickets. Just got the news that the pilots might be on strike (as usual). That's the bad news.
A bit of a rush but I think I can make if I leave on the evening of the 19th and be back by the evening of the 28th. that' the only days I can take off.
What you guys think?
So the plan is leave late Friday 19th arrive Monday and then leave PT on the morning of 26th Friday and arrive back at the UK on Sunday.
BTW there is not going to be a problem with drink because we celebrate xmas eve not the day
I know its going to be expensive on Diesel but what the hell you cannot take money with you when you die.

Yap its confirmed!! The F**** Pilots going to strike :mad2::mad2::mad2:
So Motorhome it is ;););):wave:

More fun to drive.
Why go on a plane, when you can go in MH and have a cuppa whenever you want.

38 degrees

Really????

Good news on the diesel :D

Bit of a cheat really.

We are 10km up from the coast , East of Faro, Sottovento. Our locality is known as the "Tacho", cooking pot, of the Algarve. We were lunching on our sheltered, south-facing terrace, watching the thermometer climb as we ate black pork Bifanas. Jenny took some photos and I tried to attach them but It failed.

Off to water round before the sun comes up for a similar day to day.

I use GIS Meteo, a Russian site. It's very accurate and gives info for our village . I think it's because they have spies everywhere !

Have a great trip.

The unplanned ones are often the best.

The story so far!
What you guys think?

This is do-able, and the secret of making it work is to take plenty of short breaks. This gives your eyes a rest, and if you have an energetic walk round, gets your circulation back on track.:drive::banana:

Bit of a cheat really.

We are 10km up from the coast , East of Faro, Sottovento. Our locality is known as the "Tacho", cooking pot, of the Algarve. We were lunching on our sheltered, south-facing terrace, watching the thermometer climb as we ate black pork Bifanas. Jenny took some photos and I tried to attach them but It failed.

Off to water round before the sun comes up for a similar day to day.

I use GIS Meteo, a Russian site. It's very accurate and gives info for our village . I think it's because they have spies everywhere !

Have a great trip.

The unplanned ones are often the best.

I knew you were cheating, Algarve does not get 38 Not even in high Summer. Now in Portalegre I Had temperatures of 45 in Summer and minus 5 in winter. That's because is away from the sea.
You can have your terrace! Not swapping for my "Chamine Alentejana".

Chamine.jpg

Not this one but very similar :cool::cool::cool::cool:

funny you live in the ''cooking pot'', where i was staying near messines is known as the ''piss pot'' -honestly !

Portugal

Hi Inglejano,

Calais to Portalegre is 1200 miles that's two good days driving, Don't go via Paris go via Rouen, That,s the the way That the old truck drivers use to go, Have a safe one

Good News!!!!
The Airline is going on strike!!! So lets look for a cheap channel crossing :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Its poss

The story so far!
What you guys think?

Hi, It could be done..but a hell of a lot of driving..tight times as well, going wont be so bad, 3/4 days there, is relatively easy, but the return time table, is fraught with possible problems, you will have to average 500 miles a day, not to bad but a strain,, bearing in mind the weather in France on the return, if its mild no probs, but snow will be a problem, and of course the ferry crossing may be delayed by bad weather..I Say Go for it :drive::drive: but see if you can pull a sicky for a couple of days on the return, going to give you a lot less stress, and much more time a couple of hours flying time, against 5/6 days driving time :scared: but your right you cant take it with you. :lol-053::lol-053::lol-053: best of luck if you take it on, and a merry christmas to you and yours.

ps, well be motoring down sameish route 2 days later, :scooter::scooter:

Might see you on the way. mate :wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back