AVOID: Shepherds View, Holmrook, Lakes

Ricoshay

Thought I'd share our recent experience, please remove if not appropriate for the forum:
This site is an attractive and well kept site catering for all, with a warm toilet/shower block and lots of grassy space. Had we not had the traumatic experience on Saturday night, we would happily recommend it, but unfortunately circumstances of that evening rule this out.
Much of the events have already been outlined on Trip Advisor so I'll keep my review to brief points, but you might be interested in the video I have attached also.
Check in
We asked to switch our pitches once we knew we couldn't have our chimnea on the hard pitches, it didn't seem to be a problem at the time as the site wasn't at all busy. We were asked only to burn clean hard wood, which is all we had brought.
Friday night passed without incident but my Nanna told us the toilet flush wouldn't work so my husband, who is a plumbing and heating engineer, took a look at it for them.

Saturday
We'd had a nice day out, and when we got back, Nanna told me the toilet was playing up again. No problem, I thought, I'll leave the owners a note for whenever they can have a look at it, I thought they should probably be made aware rather than hubby repairing it again.
Around teatime, an almighty commotion as Steve came across the field, extremely aggressive, shouting at us from around 20 metres 'whoever is responsible for that old woman in the cottage had better get over there now and sort her out, she's in my face and I'm not having it, the lot of you can go if you don't sort her out'
My mother went over immediately and I followed some 10 minutes or so later. The scene in the cottage was of my grandparents, very shaken, sat at the table; my mother, very concerned, asking Steve to leave the cottage as he was creating such a scene, and she was worried for Nanna's health, and Julie, very quiet throughout it all, but when she did get involved, trying to calm the situation. Memorable snatches of the conversation would be 'my mother has a heart condition, how would you feel is she had a heart attack' to which Steve replied that he didn't care, and Steve shouting at Julie when she tried to diffuse the situation, accusing her of siding with us, accusing us of being liars.
I will confess, Mum did comment that Steve was being an a*** when he kept laying down rules for the rest of our stay.
I have been an Operations Manager for national pub and restaurant chains for some 20 years and have never experienced so much unnecessary aggression and hostility from a guest, never mind a host, in all that time.

Sunday
A lovely day out, my Grandad is President of the Road Locomotive Society and had been asked to visit Threlkeld to see a Navvy he had restored and donated (the Hooley) being steamed up. We came back and retired to the awning so as not to have a fire or cause any more stress. Clearly we had to stay on at the site as it's a 7 hour drive home! And we needed ground floor accommodation for my grandparents as Nanna cannot manage stairs.

Monday
Departed mid morning, and the link takes you to a video showing that pitch, in immaculate condition. I'm not stupid - claiming we were some sort of louts was always going to be the response from the owners.

We had a great weekend in a beautiful area, but the events caused massive stress; even as I write this review I am feeling extremely anxious and the only reason we haven't pursued a Section 5 public disorder offence is that certain members of our party would not be able to handle the anxiety around giving statements, etc.

The response from the owners to my review will no doubt help you form an opinion as to whether this event is being exaggerated or not.

Dropbox - VIDEO0008.mp4

At least he didn't pull a shotgun on you as happened to me some years ago on a site in Norfolk!

Cant get the link to open or utube for a while as some adoby bug,anyway what you require is some irish or scots to sort we love a good fight.

Last year, after getting my van back in August, I went to this site in September.

This was basically to have my first tryout trip and make sure everything was working - and that i understood how everything worked in the van.

I also had 3 days there and I have to say I have a very relaxing and pleasant stay.

Very helpful owners indeed & nothing seemed to be a bother at all.

I would never have had any worries about visiting there again.

Strange how we can have such different experiences from our visits to the same place.

Yes, I agree with the comments, funny how one incident triggered such an outpouring of rage at us. We were stunned... Like you, we'd read great reviews. To this day I've no idea why he was so incredibly angry! But his reply on TA is a fabrication sadly. Live and learn I guess....

bit like a court here, who is telling the truth. With regret all parties are guilty...no smoke without fire as they say. All hearsay about the initial incident leading up to fall out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back