Autotrail watertank sender unit.

Herman

Has anybody experienced any problems with their sender unit, I just want to confirm it is the sender before I drop the tank to get it out.

Whats happening is, we fill the tank and the EC51 shows a full tank, then we will use about a 1/4 of that tank and the EC51 will show empty and start bleeping at us, we can reset it to stop the bleep by pressing the water tank button, but it is then pure guess work as to the water level and how much water we have left. as it just illuminates the last red light.

If I knew what type of sender it was I would buy a new one and plug it in to see if it worked ok in a bucket, so if anyone knows what sender a 2017 autotrail imala is fitted with would be a help.

thanks, Ken.

I think sensors may need cleaning ? Our 2010 Mohawk has done this pretty well got it10 years ago . Being a lazy git and pretty useless on the tools I just let it beep and remember to fill up every 4 th shower or so.
I am sure someone will give you a more technical answer soon!

I think sensors may need cleaning ? Our 2010 Mohawk has done this pretty well got it10 years ago . Being a lazy git and pretty useless on the tools I just let it beep and remember to fill up every 4 th shower or so.
I am sure someone will give you a more technical answer soon!
Not sure how you would access the tank to do any cleaning? Tricky things with Autotrail and their tanks :( Not sure what I would do with mine if this happens? :( (probably just put up with it).

We have intermittent and inaccurate information from the control panel in our Autotrail mainly for the Grey water. When I get the MH back from its bodywork repair I intend to do a descale and then full cleanse of the system so hopefully will get rid of any gunk that has built up on the sensors in the water tanks.

We have intermittent and inaccurate information from the control panel in our Autotrail mainly for the Grey water. When I get the MH back from its bodywork repair I intend to do a descale and then full cleanse of the system so hopefully will get rid of any gunk that has built up on the sensors in the water tanks.
I use Aquasol for a tank cleanse at the start of each year and a weaker solution each fill-up. I wonder if that also helps with Sensors?
The majority of water fills are with my local water, which is very soft and never scales, so I guess that is a help as well?

The Autotrail/Sargent gray waste system is pretty naff anyway ... Two settings ... Nothing or full.

We travel to Spain for the best part of 2 months each year and find the water to be very hard so I'm guessing we may have a build up of scale.

I bought some D Scale to try (and use Puriclean for cleaning the system).

It's the electric element I want to descale as ours was behaving a bit erratically when we were away in Spain. Before I spend 3 figures on a new set of elements and attempt to deconstruct the MH to find the blimming boiler, I thought I'd try the easiest option first. It works fine on gas btw.

Would scaling only really affect the electric element?
Goof question though as in hard water areas, kettles and immersion heater elements are totally furred up in a couple of years! I bet the average older motorhome heater element must be caked!!
That's what I was thinking our water isn't too bad I do the home kettle once a year, but it doesn't get bad really but it looks awful as it's a glass one.

It's the electric element I want to descale as ours was behaving a bit erratically when we were away in Spain. Before I spend 3 figures on a new set of elements and attempt to deconstruct the MH to find the blimming boiler, I thought I'd try the easiest option first. It works fine on gas btw.
Not certain G, but I don't think gas is in contact with the water whereas the electric element is, but good point because as wild campers we don't/can't use the electric anyway.

Truma Ultrastore Guide​

In the Truma Ultrastore, a powerful gas burner heats the water in your caravan or motor home quickly – completely without a power supply. The gas boiler has excellent insulation to ensure that almost no heat is lost. If the water temperature drops, the electronics reignite automatically. Set the desired water temperature anywhere between 30°C and 70°C with the control unit.

I think the electric heater element will be identical to an Immersion. Unlike an immersion element which can be changed easily and costs under £20 typically, I bet the Truma element is a nightmare to get to and costs hundreds :(

That's what I was thinking our water isn't too bad I do the home kettle once a year, but it doesn't get bad really but it looks awful as it's a glass one.
When I lived in Devon, I bought myself a fancy glass kettle from John Lewis. Took it back after 3 weeks because it looked so manky from the water :(

Here in the Borders there is not a sign of limescale on anything. Nothing ever needs descaling and a kettle element can be years old and looks like new still!

Looking at Youtube changing the elements isn't too onerous a job however finding the blimming boiler is!!

I think a pair of replacement elements comes out at around 140 quid.

Doesn't your boiler have a flue through the outside wall Graham? indicating roughly where it would be, often under the wardrobe or seating, I did see one under the oven once but that was an older van than yours.

Looking at Youtube changing the elements isn't too onerous a job however finding the blimming boiler is!!

As Pudsey says, will likely be very near the vent. And also close to the boiler draindown point as well. If you don't know where that is, look underneath the van for a pipe sticking down ....

FWIW, my Autotrail Water Heater in in the bathroom under the basin cupboard.

Few thoughts
a) Most senders can be recalibrated easily, have you got a manual ?
b) Have the van got a waste level sender and if so can you swap them over? That would help diagnose the problem.
c) Is there an Autotrail owners group? They would be more help on make specific issues.

I was just watching a handover video and the boiler was actually under the floor in an autotrail, right below or next to the water heater drain valve which is the yellow knob hiding under the braided pipe, it's in the closed position there, open would be 90° clockwise.

1711813943679.png

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Back