Autosocks v chains?

Alshymer

Hi
Due to needing to carry chains or Autosocks in France this winter, does anyone have any experience with Autosocks?
Bearing in mind that I may never need to use them I don’t wish to spend any more money than necessary.
Any comments/ recommendations would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Alshymer

Hi
Due to needing to carry chains or Autosocks in France this winter, does anyone have any experience with Autosocks?
Bearing in mind that I may never need to use them I don’t wish to spend any more money than necessary.
Any comments/ recommendations would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Alshymer
Not in a motorhome, but I used Autosocks on a Nissan Qashqai I had when the roads were very icy. Went from being unable to get up a hill at all to going up without a problem.
So worked for me just as advertised. But that was a vehicle a lot lighter than a camper/motorhome (would it matter? no idea).

Socks are a very limited life type item for emergency unsticking , say up or down a hill . Chains will achieve the same and more for a lot longer period of use , and can be used (abused) on limited non packed snow sections , So you need to work out your likely duty cycle requirement to get the best vfm , socks are usually much easier to fit .

I've used these types before with good results in mud as well as snow....

Not really suitable to drive miles on BUT will get you out of a fix...

Tend to be easier to fit/remove than full chains/socks.

IF things get really bad.... There's always these,

Socks are a lot lighter and easier to store.
I have carried chains now socks for 20 years or more and have never had to use them

I've used these types before with good results in mud as well as snow....

Not really suitable to drive miles on BUT will get you out of a fix...

Tend to be easier to fit/remove than full chains/socks.

IF things get really bad.... There's always these,

I would note that anything that wraps around the rim/tyre will not work on a disc braked Ducato with standard steel wheels, the strap must clear the disc and caliper.

I believe M+S tyres are acceptable in the new areas until Nov 2024.
3PMSF a must after that, or chains/socks.

If you don’t have the correct tyres, chains or socks need to be carried in certain areas between the beginning of November to the end of March. The roads where you need to fit them will be well signposted and you will be expected to be able to use them on these roads in snowy weather. Some areas (Cantal, Haute-Loire, Haute-Savoie, Puy-de-Dôme, Savoie) require you to carry them throughout those areas ( Nov to March) other areas only require you to carry them in mountainous regions in snowy weather.
However, there will be no fines issued this year for not carrying them as most French people have no idea about these rules, so this year the authorities will just be educating and advising people of the new rules
But, you will still be required to use them in snowy weather, or you will not be able to continue your journey.

Chains every time.
Bought auto socks, not that easy to fit and far less effective than chains.
Plus chains will work in mud too.
On a large heavy motorhome, one heavy braking episode will total auto socks on anything but snow.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back