Auto Sleeper Help Please

Rick O Shea

Hello to all on the site I am a new entrant to Motor Homes and recently (last saturday to be exact) bouht a R reg Autosleeper Exchelsior. driving it back from the dealer we noticed that there was a quite large bump from the rear of the beast when ever we went over any form of change in the road or a small hole.

I contacted the dealers and inadvertanly they told me that the van had failed the MOT as the headlights were too high! I suspect that the rear springs are very tired. My point is does anybody know what the height from the ground to the undersite of the wheel arch measurement should be I have tried the Auto Sleeper company but they claim not to know this figure,

Can any one help or point me in the correct direction.

Very best wishes to all

Rick O Shea

Hello to all on the site I am a new entrant to Motor Homes and recently (last saturday to be exact) bouht a R reg Autosleeper Exchelsior. driving it back from the dealer we noticed that there was a quite large bump from the rear of the beast when ever we went over any form of change in the road or a small hole.

I contacted the dealers and inadvertanly they told me that the van had failed the MOT as the headlights were too high! I suspect that the rear springs are very tired. My point is does anybody know what the height from the ground to the undersite of the wheel arch measurement should be I have tried the Auto Sleeper company but they claim not to know this figure,

Can any one help or point me in the correct direction.

Very best wishes to all

Rick O Shea
Hi Rick,
I dont know what the height from the ground to the underside mate but if it has Shock Absorbers could that not be your problem. :)

Hi rick,
I've an autosleeper amesytht
I think the measurements should be about the same
from the ground to the wheel-arch is 27 inches
from inside the wheel-arch down to the centre of the wheel is 19 inches
hope this helps

cannot help with height but my legend with rear lounge was the same til i got air-ride fitted and its like a new van now lovely to handle.

Hi Rick.

I would think at the age of you camper soggy rear springs is a fair bet, I would also think that if original the rear shocks are likely to be shot as well, this could also account for the knocking on bumps and potholes.

Air spring assisters are also very good however I, personaly would not use them to compensate for badly weakened springs, the springs locate the axle as well as providing the spring. They are however worth considering once everything else is sorted as they do improve the drive and general feel when traveling.

Although I suspect the knock is from the shocks, a good visual check to make sure there is nothing loose and hanging causing the noise. It's much too easy to miss the bleeding obvious.

i had a banging on my van when i bought it i feared the worst but when i looked undreneath i fond the spare wheel carrier was not fully wound up tight check the easy stuff first

Auto Sleeper problems

Many thanks for the replies that have been sent. I have a ground to wheel arch measurement of 68 cm. Autosleepers kindly measured one they had in their yard and it had a measurement of 71cm. I Think that this 30 mm is significant as at present the van is not loaded with anything.

Just out of interest the distance from the bump stop on the chassis to the rear axle is only 30mm.

I am going to start by trying to sort the shockers and the springs and see what difference that makes.

I am much obliged for the mesages, especially they very kind lady who sent me a PM message about Buddism.

Finally advice to a new comer is it ok to wave at other motor homers or is that a bit passe now.
Rick O Shea

have you recieaved the same pm, she has not sent me one. more than likley saw my avitar :eek::D

Finally advice to a new comer is it ok to wave at other motor homers or is that a bit passe now.
Rick O Shea

Hey Rick you just keep on waving mate some will wave back some wont but dont be discouraged and dont forget to wave at us selfbuilds as well, good luck. :)

Rick O Shea

Me. I wave at everyone, it's quite amusing watching those with posh new motorhomes staring straight ahead trying to pretend they haven't seen you.

So keep on waving I'll wave back what ever your in even if no one else will.

When we had our A/S Talisman I fitted Guyson spring assistors, only helped a little. Ours always looked a little bit 'tail down'. I think the body/sills should sit parallel to the ground. The Autosleeper owners club was very helpfull and reasonably priced.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back