Auto electrician, Sheffield/ N.Derbyshire/Peak District

barge1914

Does anyone know a decent auto electrician in this area, preferably mobile, who can sort out the dead electrics of my A-Class drivers side window winder and mirrors. Fiat say it’s not their side, dealer will look at it if I get my habitation check done there ( at exhorbitant cost) and call in their auto electrician (for a markup). I’d rather use my usual (reasonable and capable) mobile habitation guy, but he doesn’t do stuff connected to Fiat electrics.

It’s sort of important as since they want the van 2 days I’m faced with 2x2-3hr train rides if I go to the dealer, and being told by nhs I am vulnerable to COVID and Flu, I’m trying to avoid stuffy public transport.

Does anyone know a decent auto electrician in this area, preferably mobile, who can sort out the dead electrics of my A-Class drivers side window winder and mirrors. Fiat say it’s not their side, dealer will look at it if I get my habitation check done there ( at exhorbitant cost) and call in their auto electrician (for a markup). I’d rather use my usual (reasonable and capable) mobile habitation guy, but he doesn’t do stuff connected to Fiat electrics.

It’s sort of important as since they want the van 2 days I’m faced with 2x2-3hr train rides if I go to the dealer, and being told by nhs I am vulnerable to COVID and Flu, I’m trying to avoid stuffy public transport.

From what you are saying this has to be a supply issue, and it may be possible to fix yourself. First it may be a fuse issue check to see if this effects both mirrors.
Then check to see if your mirrors, and window are on the same fuse. If so check the fuse box. There are two one below the steering wheel and the other in the engine compartment. The other possibility is damaged cabling as it enters the door this is quite common, but this would require an auto electrician. Also check to see if the switch in the door is lit, if not another indication of a supply issue.
I had the same problem with my pegaso door window, and auto electrician diagnosed and fixed in 30 minutes costing me £60.
I would google auto electricians in your area and take it to them, this should be a simple repair for them.
Good luck.

Last edited:
From what you are saying this has to be a supply issue, and it may be possible to fix yourself. First it may be a fuse issue check to see if this effects both mirrors.
Then check to see if your mirrors, and window are on the same fuse. If so check the fuse box. There are two one below the steering wheel and the other in the engine compartment. The other possibility is damaged cabling as it enters the door this is quite common, but this would require an auto electrician. Also check to see if the switch in the door is lit, if not another indication of a supply issue.
I had the same problem with my pegaso door window, and auto electrician diagnosed and fixed in 30 minutes costing me £60.
I would google auto electricians in your area and take it to them, this should be a simple repair for them.
Good luck.
Thanks Bill. Fiat already checked the fuses and wiring at the ‘Fiat end’ and could find no faults, and would look no further.

The dealers auto electrician after a look at the fuses which he also said were ok wouldn’t look at it without getting a wiring diagram because he reckoned it would take too long otherwise. In his view RTs approach to wiring is inconsistent and chaotic. It could take 10minutes or 10hours. Wires being hooked in ad hoc without consistency in colours even between two ends of the same circuit.

No the door switch is not lit…supply? I would have thought mirror and windows would have separate fuses. I wonder whether it may even be a poor common earth connection.

Apparently only the drivers mirror is electrically operated.

Did you by any chance find out which fuses supply the door electrics?

I’d be interested to know whether absence of window opening is an MOT issue as that’s coming up soon.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something was disturbed when I visited a pretty unprofessional Fiat garage last February to get another electrical issue diagnosed (unsuccessfully) as these items both stopped working immediately after leaving it…of course they denied all responsibility.

Thanks Bill. Fiat already checked the fuses and wiring at the ‘Fiat end’ and could find no faults, and would look no further.

The dealers auto electrician after a look at the fuses which he also said were ok wouldn’t look at it without getting a wiring diagram because he reckoned it would take too long otherwise. In his view RTs approach to wiring is inconsistent and chaotic. It could take 10minutes or 10hours. Wires being hooked in ad hoc without consistency in colours even between two ends of the same circuit.

No the door switch is not lit…supply? I would have thought mirror and windows would have separate fuses. I wonder whether it may even be a poor common earth connection.

Apparently only the drivers mirror is electrically operated.

Did you by any chance find out which fuses supply the door electrics?

I’d be interested to know whether absence of window opening is an MOT issue as that’s coming up soon.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something was disturbed when I visited a pretty unprofessional Fiat garage last February to get another electrical issue diagnosed (unsuccessfully) as these items both stopped working immediately after leaving it…of course they denied all responsibility.
Both large mirrors are electronic, the smaller wide angle mirrors are manual.
I think the fault could be were the cable enters the door at the bottom.
Thats were my fault was.
Opening and closing the door could have damaged cabling.
I see no reason why the mirrors and the window would not be on the same supply, hence why they are both faulty.
I would go to a local auto electrician.
They see these kind of faults all the time.

I can personally recommend this firm, after some enthusiastic and failed electrical work, these were recommended to us and the chap was brilliant and everything in the oppy tin tent works wonderfully
image0.jpg

How did it go today? Hope they were able to help.
Yes thanks for the referral. Very helpful. After a lot of tracing they reckoned the problem was with the dashboard electronic module failing to activate those circuits when ignition turned on, which would be expensive to replace and with all the extra panelling of an A Class around the dash would be a big and expensive strip out job to access. The simple pragmatic solution was a simple rewire to another fuse, with the bonus I can now open the window without turning the ignition on. Curing the mirror adjusters was more intractable and since they can be adjusted manual anyway (and two are non-electric anyway) it wasn’t worth pursuing further. Price very reasonable, a small fraction methinks of what the dealer would have charged, done in a hour or two while I waited (dealer wanted at least two days involving three hours each way on public transport) ) and so a lot easier to get to from where we live.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back