Are wood burners allowed?

I remember having a paraffin stove similar to that as a kid. Fitting a refilled tank to it, terrified Mum. I think it was dumped after she tried to fill it when hot. Or it could have been the mess spilt Esso Blue ( Bom bom bom bom) made in the kitchen.
That 1963 winter, in a badly (none) insulated council flat, is a memory that will stay with me forever.
Kids today? Don't know their born. Humffff

The Esso Blue was delivered by a bloke who had an old Morris Commercial van with a large fuel tank fitted in the back.
His second vehicle was a Bedford CA icecream van.
Council estate kid turned entrepreneur.
There was ‘regent super green’ and ’alladin pink’ too, all the same stuff just different dye, isn’t it basically jet aircraft fuel too ?

Here in the U.K. we must comply with the 1999 clean air act, the original act came out I think in the late 50s to counter smog in our large cities.
Generally speaking in the U.K. it’s fine to burn all types of wood, but the problem is that folk buy wood burners don’t always burn just wood. Anything which creates black smoke is prohibited, this type of non carbon based smoke can have many harmful gasses and particulate matter. I reckon that’s why they may be banned in France. The act also covers commercial and industrial installations, which is what the act is primarily concerned with today.
Woodburnng stoves are widely used in French homes, so doubtful that they would not be permitted in motorhomes for reasons of pollution. There might be a blanket ban in vehicles for safety reasons or there might be similar safety requirements to those applicable in dwellings and which were not met by the OP's installation.
There are numerous websites referencing woodburner installations in vans in France, but the general indication is that they are illegal (non-compliant with vehicle approval) and would be unacceptable to insurers.

"Installer un poêle à bois dans son fourgon aménagée est une pratique rêvée par beaucoup, mais est-ce vraiment une bonne idée ? Au-delà du fait que ce soit totalement illégal et que vous risquez de vous mettre en mauvaise posture par rapport à l’assurance, est-ce assez safe pour un fourgon ?"

Woodburnng stoves are widely used in French homes, so doubtful that they would not be permitted in motorhomes for reasons of pollution. There might be a blanket ban in vehicles for safety reasons or there might be similar safety requirements to those applicable in dwellings and which were not met by the OP's installation.
There are numerous websites referencing woodburner installations in vans in France, but the general indication is that they are illegal (non-compliant with vehicle approval) and would be unacceptable to insurers.

"Installer un poêle à bois dans son fourgon aménagée est une pratique rêvée par beaucoup, mais est-ce vraiment une bonne idée ? Au-delà du fait que ce soit totalement illégal et que vous risquez de vous mettre en mauvaise posture par rapport à l’assurance, est-ce assez safe pour un fourgon ?"

Thanks for the information.
I was merely referring to what the OP stated in his original post. I would not know what the regulations are in France.

"We have a wood burning stove in our van and have travelled around Europe for many years with no issues. However when checking in at Dieppe last week to come home the French officer inspecting the van for illegals etc told me that these stoves are not allowed in France,"

We have a wood burning stove in our van and have travelled around Europe for many years with no issues. However when checking in at Dieppe last week to come home the French officer inspecting the van for illegals etc told me that these stoves are not allowed in France, with the van likely to be impounded. I told him it is only used when parked up, but that makes no difference apparently.
I've delved about online and can't find anything to back this up. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
Thank you for all the comments. For now I will keep the stove, as it has worked well for quite a few years, and without upsetting anyone. All the talk of pollution, whether from stoves or vehicle exhaust, is clearly becoming a major issue, particularly for people like us in a 1990's diesel powered van . At the moment such vehicles seem only to be banned in some cities, which doesn't bother us as we only frequent towns and villages, but things are changing quite fast. Going to the expense of installing a new heating system only to then find the van is illegal anyway doesn't appeal!

Main consideration for me is cost, Diesel stoves cost a heck of a lot of money. A wood burner is about 20% of the cost.
I haven’t managed to find a safe space yet for a wood burner in a van. Most people stick them by the sliding door and that to me is about the most dangerous place it could be, We are at the age where having something to grab when climbing in is becoming increasingly necessary! Lath thing I want to be doing is grabbing something extremely hot!

My latest acquisition already has two Eberspacher D2 air heaters in it, one may get replaced with a Webasto thermo top I have had in my spares box for years in my workshop doing DHW and maybe a couple of radiators, I have always wanted to fit a heated towel rail in a van so maybe this is the opportunity

Main consideration for me is cost, Diesel stoves cost a heck of a lot of money. A wood burner is about 20% of the cost.
I haven’t managed to find a safe space yet for a wood burner in a van. Most people stick them by the sliding door and that to me is about the most dangerous place it could be, We are at the age where having something to grab when climbing in is becoming increasingly necessary! Lath thing I want to be doing is grabbing something extremely hot!

My latest acquisition already has two Eberspacher D2 air heaters in it, one may get replaced with a Webasto thermo top I have had in my spares box for years in my workshop doing DHW and maybe a couple of radiators, I have always wanted to fit a heated towel rail in a van so maybe this is the opportunity
They do new ....
The house one I won on Ebay (had only been installed 6 months and used ywice )
And came with all service/installation manuals etc and unused warming cabinet for the top ....
£50

I bought a lightly used Bubble boat stove for £50

Sold it for £200 after someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse

Going price for a used bubble boat stove is usually around £200-350 On ebay ...
BUT cheap ones do crop up on Facebook market place etc ...

A lot of People seem unaware of them BUT I love them ...
Simple,efficient,very tame once set up and you are used them,
Reasonable to run ....and quiet ...
The only thing I used to hear was the 3 x double fans sat on top .

Here in the U.K. we must comply with the 1999 clean air act, the original act came out I think in the late 50s to counter smog in our large cities.
Generally speaking in the U.K. it’s fine to burn all types of wood, but the problem is that folk buy woo

d burners don’t always burn just wood. Anything which creates black smoke is prohibited, this type of non carbon based smoke can have many harmful gasses and particulate matter. I reckon that’s why they may be banned in France. The act also covers commercial and industrial installations, which is what the act is primarily concerned with today.
It is not generally speaking fine to burn all types of wood. Only seasoned or kiln dried wood should be used as fuel so as to minimise smoke and give a clean burn. Wood that has been painted or treated wit preservatives should nt be used since burning it could give off toxic fumes. Se now follow the

The Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020 is now in place.​

I post this not to contradict or argue a point but rather for information of others who may have, or are thinking of purchasing a woodburning stove. Before we had ours installed I did a lot of thinking and research on the safety of modern ones as opposed to open grates or old fashioned stoves. I was satisfied that modern DEFRA approved stoves, which ours is, do not emit particulates in sufficient quantity as to be harmful.

It is not generally speaking fine to burn all types of wood. Only seasoned or kiln dried wood should be used as fuel so as to minimise smoke and give a clean burn. Wood that has been painted or treated wit preservatives should nt be used since burning it could give off toxic fumes. Se now follow the

The Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020 is now in place.​

I post this not to contradict or argue a point but rather for information of others who may have, or are thinking of purchasing a woodburning stove. Before we had ours installed I did a lot of thinking and research on the safety of modern ones as opposed to open grates or old fashioned stoves. I was satisfied that modern DEFRA approved stoves, which ours is, do not emit particulates in sufficient quantity as to be harmful.

When we attended any bonfires where wood was being burned in a safe location, without affecting others nearby we allowed them to burn out.

If plastics, tyres, or any other materials were being burnt which created black smoke, (Even in a rural location), or if the fire was too close to overhead cabling, other buildings we put it out.

The main problem we found with wood burners as I stated was that some people did not just burn wood in them.
We attended a wood burner incident where the owner reckoned he could burn all of his empty plastic containers.
He had been doing this for years, and had left heavy deposits in his vent, which caught fire and set his roof on fire.
This type of incident is also common in restaurants when they fail to clean out their venting systems.

I thought it was common knowledge that wood should be kept in a dry location for a period of time before being burnt, I did not feel the need to explain this to anyone. It's common practice by those who use wood burners to store their timber for months before burning it.
And my comments were not solely directed towards those who burn wood as a fuel.

I remember having a paraffin stove similar to that as a kid. Fitting a refilled tank to it, terrified Mum. I think it was dumped after she tried to fill it when hot. Or it could have been the mess spilt Esso Blue ( Bom bom bom bom) made in the kitchen.
That 1963 winter, in a badly (none) insulated council flat, is a memory that will stay with me forever.
Kids today? Don't know their born. Humffff

The Esso Blue was delivered by a bloke who had an old Morris Commercial van with a large fuel tank fitted in the back.
His second vehicle was a Bedford CA icecream van.
Council estate kid turned entrepreneur.
You mean esso blee duler i think!

Is it a wood burner or just a heavyweight cupboard or safe !.with good ventilation.

Apparently even the latest DEFRA compliant stoves are estimated to have 6 times the health cost of a gas boiler, as the user of such a stove I'm not that suprised.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back