Are we second class citizens ?

TWS

Hi all, just returned from 6 days traveling in north Wales, one thing I found was the number of car-parks with height barriers, I popped in to Rhyl seaside town for some shopping early last week, could I heck find a car-park without a barrier, I finally found a coach park, a council parking enforcement officer turned up within minutes and advised me the car-park was for coaches, now let me paint the picture, not one bus in the car-park and every bay empty !! I asked where I could park my 7.3 metre M/H, I was advised on the roadside near the sea road ! I asked why every car-park had a barrier, the answer was to keep people like you out ! what is it with this country and the dislike with M/H owners ? I left Rhyl without spending a single penny and took my business elsewhere !

Tom

What the hell are we going to do to try to change things? This sort of discriminatory behavior just shouldn't be tolerated. We pay our road fund tax, we buy gallons of taxed fuel. We even want to spend money in their towns :mad:

I just wonder if there is any way we can use the new legislation 'The new Sustainable Communities Act'. I quote "We believe that this Act offers significant opportunities for local people to influence planning and decision-making in their areas". First Councils have to 'opt in' to the Government scheme and Councils around the UK are currently making that decision.

Here in Dorset the local Council has recently held an open public meeting which was heavily supported by the public, so the pressure is on for them to join the scheme. I shall be keeping an eye out for what this means precisely as things progress. But if we can use it in any way we need to think about it and how we can claim it is more sustainable and environmentally beneficialfor us to be allowed access to town carparks. I daren't go so far as to think it might be the key to Aire type stopovers :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah our country does seem to be very backward thinking when it comes to parking for a M/H, I may be wrong, but are we the worst in the EU ? I have just e mailed the council in Rhyl to object to the silly parking regulations they have, lets just wait and see what response I get ! I'm sure with a little bit of forward thinking and planning a few spaces could be allocated for a M/H in most places, I spent a day in the Snowdonia national park at Betws-y-Coed, they have special spaces for a M/H, we ain't asking for much, just a fair bite of the cherry.

Tom

Perhaps things may change one day ! and perhaps pigs may fly !

Different councils Tom, S**t H**e Rhyl is in Denbighshire, they are the worst Council in Wales! Betws Y coed is in Gwynedd, different story, quality public services, leisure centres, car parks etc! Rhyl seems to be the stop off point for all the down and owts as they get off the train with a bag, within a week they are housed and living on benefits. Makes your blood boil:mad:

Different councils Tom, S**t H**e Rhyl is in Denbighshire, they are the worst Council in Wales! Betws Y coed is in Gwynedd, different story, quality public services, leisure centres, car parks etc! Rhyl seems to be the stop off point for all the down and owts as they get off the train with a bag, within a week they are housed and living on benefits. Makes your blood boil:mad:

Its funny you mention that, while I was in the coach park in Rhyl, I saw a needle exchange unit, and a hostel across the road for the homeless, I spoke to a chap from Conway council who said just what you said, he was driving a road sweeper and was parked up for his lunch, we had quite a moan about the state of the country. I agree with you 100 % I noticed a big difference in the different areas I visited, I must say some parts of north Wales are really beautiful, loved the walk around Conway.

Thanks Tom

A tip that might help, I work the market at Bury Gt Manchester, there car parks have height barriers. The one nearest the market is swung open on market days so the traders dont drive the locals daft parking their vans outside their houses. The same thing happens in many market towns. Just watch out because if your van takes up 2 bays you will have to put 2 tickets on your screen.
The barriers are shut at 6pm, but if your stuck in there! free overnight parking?:rolleyes:

Barriers are not erected against us motorhomers its to keep the pikes and their dawgs out we are just suffering for it, if you have the time and bloody mindanece park at the barrier lock up and go shopping tell them inside what you've done i bet they unlock it for you.
After years of motorhoming we can now time it right at most places we go not to get bothered for the night:eek: then move early to get parked up for the day;)it's no good turning up at mid day looking for parking we are to big to sneak in when a car pulls out its all in the stealth and planning:p
If all else fails we have the club books to find a very cheap site for the night the wife as to feel 100% confident which is fair enough
And we do this most weekends all year round

its not just for camping that the trouble comes ... I drive a Bongo as my transport and its very hard to do the shopping or go to the library .. as everywhere has barriers:mad:

Portsmouth barriers

Portsmouth has the same problem height barriers everywhere, thankfully my disabled badge allows some privilages but even these are restricted in many South Coast towns!

Hi Graham, didn't see the Conway site, we stayed at the marina, but yes I took your advice and stopped at the car-park down from the station at Betws-y-Coed, this is a great site for a M/H, ideal for visiting the village and walking up to the falls. I spoke with the N/P warden who was really helpful, didn't see any signs about overnighting, only £4.00 for alday parking. I will be using that site again in the future.

Cheers Tom

PS Where are the M/H bays at Conway ?, some small tight arches in Conway !!

Free overnight, but you must pay first thing next morning.:) (betwesycoed)
The head ranger is a very nice man,:cool: but watch out fir his side kick:eek:
You can also overnight ay Lanwryst which is about a 10 minute drive direction Conway.
The M/H parking bays at Conway are under the Castle arch way and next to the Coach park

I will look for the bays at Conway next time, I drove though Lanwryst, is that the place with the bridge ? looks a nice little village, where would you stay there ?, yeah the warden was a nice chap, must of been the head ranger i spoke with.

Tom

know what you mean

its not just for camping that the trouble comes ... I drive a Bongo as my transport and its very hard to do the shopping or go to the library .. as everywhere has barriers:mad:

I drive and camp in a Bongo too.......And I don't spend my cash where I can't park......sign the petition for MH freindly stopovers, I am taking it to my local council to ask for some spaces for overnighters in a Riverside car park, they allow boats to moor all the year so why not us, we would at least pay for our parking and use the local facilities, some long boat owner live on them and don't pay a penny, not even council tax..grrr

Go into Conway from the east, over a small bridge and you come to a small roundabout with the castle on your left.
Turn left here and go under the archway.
I know small, but coaches go under and so do motorhomes.
The parking is about 100 yds on the right, just around the bend:D

Yes I know where you mean, I must be honest I saw the arch, and bottled it, I then went around to the right, and came across another arch, had to go through that one as I had cars behind me, them arches are tight mind, or it might just be me not wanting to get too close to the sides. Nice place Conway.

Tom

First Class

Going back to your origional heading Tom:rolleyes:.."Are we second class citizens?":eek:,, well I can answer that in one...NO:cool:, cos every single one of the motorhomers I,ve met from this forum are "First Class", with no exceptions.
So don,t let them people grind you down and just keep on rollin on;):)

I drive and camp in a Bongo too.......And I don't spend my cash where I can't park......sign the petition for MH freindly stopovers, I am taking it to my local council to ask for some spaces for overnighters in a Riverside car park, they allow boats to moor all the year so why not us, we would at least pay for our parking and use the local facilities, some long boat owner live on them and don't pay a penny, not even council tax..grrr

I would be more than happy to sign the petition for more M/H spaces, after my visit to Rhyl, where can I find it ?

Tom

Going back to your origional heading Tom:rolleyes:.."Are we second class citizens?":eek:,, well I can answer that in one...NO:cool:, cos every single one of the motorhomers I,ve met from this forum are "First Class", with no exceptions.
So don,t let them people grind you down and just keep on rollin on;):)

Lenny I couldn't agree more with you, I'm looking forward to meeting you chaps, I'm trying to get to the Scotland meet, I try and not let things wind me up, but now and again, some things just make no sense, some of our councils just seem to be on a different planet.

Cheers Tom

Yes I know where you mean, I must be honest I saw the arch, and bottled it, I then went around to the right, and came across another arch, had to go through that one as I had cars behind me, them arches are tight mind, or it might just be me not wanting to get too close to the sides. Nice place Conway.

Tom

NO PROBLEM,:eek::eek: went through with mine (see avatar). Mind you I was following ***** at the time, he knew the way and I didn't, so no option, elbows, in squeese bum cheeks and a few expletives and hail Mary's and we were through.:D:)

2nd class

Exactly what I found in Devizes- lots of spaces but not for the likes of you and I.

Like you I will vote with my feet and spend my money elsewhere- that is if I can fid anyone who wants us

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back