Are motorhomes predominately owned by 'older' (retired?) people?

We had caravans for 23 years, starting with a 13 year old coachbuilt one and then had to trade in for a static caravan due to 85 year old mother moving in with us. Went back to tourer after 4 years, then 2 years ago took the plunge and used savings to buy our first motorhome, an Autotrail Cheyenne with Luton bed. After a year of climbing over each other three times a night, decided to go for a fixed bed, Autocruise Startrail which we have now. (Both coachbuilt) Retirement payout funded that, so yes, we are in our sixties, at least so everyone keeps telling me. Don't feel like it, don't want to feel like it, but there you go!

Building mine now and i'm 37.

Though to be fair, at the rate i'm going i'll probably be retired before it's finished

vw

we are 45 ish and sold the caravan and bought a camper ,,vw compass calypso 2.4d....1998 ,,,,and love it ,,,,could only aford it because the mortgage is so low ,,at 15 years old needs alot of TLC and autoglym polish :banana:

Just got my first (and cheap n cheerful) campervan 'Sully' (so christened by the OH) last Nov. Had a hankering for one for years though.

Never did the Caravan bit - I always had this mental image of caravanners being far too prim & proper to mix with the likes of me, but have camped at Motorcycle rallies and the odd Music festival. OH though hasn't done this stuff, & one experience with me tenting off the m-bike in early May 2 years ago (twas COLD & windy, and a sloping field) didn't do anything to encourage things.

The idea if us being able to just shove off on a whim, and not have to be too concerned about having a bed and shelter, plus handy for me to use as a base to go sweating and puffing up hills on my Mountain Bike resulted in the arrival of Sully.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle at a (disbelieving & thoroughly 'not having it') 48 years-young (nearly 49).

Can I have a Motorhome when I'm 50 then please? Will I qualify on age by then (if not on Income :D)?

i got my 1st coachbuilt in 2007 and it was a 2004 lunar champ a551. im now on my 3rd coachbuilt which is a 2011 rollerteam 707 and im the grand old age of 36

I started off with an old Post office van in the early 60's. Bed was boxed shape made from ply wood on pine wood frame. A pump action gas stove and a couple of candles for light. That took me into the 70's where I got myself another P.O van but this was built a lot better than the crap I had by the person I bought it from. As life got better over the years I upgraded to a decent MH. As you get older, you find ways of spending your money instead of leaving it for the Govt: and tax man. ☺☺☺ My present MH is not of the higest quality but I am happy with it. It has all the mod cons that an old "geezer" like me wants and I am content.☺☺☺

Had a Bedford CF camper in my early 20's, then VW hightop mid 30's and now a panel van conversion at 60. So I have had campers on and off throughout my working life. So motorhomes are for everyone.

Alan

Aha

?? Your checking the ages of the members lol

Well redted is old and I am not as old :camper::camper::camper::camper: for over a year:cheers:

I'm just wondering, are most owners of motorhomes 'of a certain age' ? and if so are they retired ?

Do younger people drive 'campervans' and older people drive 'coach built' or 'A Class' ?

Of course the answers will be biassed by the age of forum members.

For the sake of transparency I am asking the identical question on 'MHF' and 'Facts'

Just curious.............. Oh and for starters I'm 55 with a Panel Van Conversion and about to stop work and set off on a grand adventure throughout Europe.

Chox

Grew up going on hols in a '58 split screen VW, then a bay window panel van conversion, then came the caravan :(

Now 37 with a little one of my own I now have a '95 Reimo poptop Hiace. Would love a motorhome one day, but I think a larger proportion of people more senior generally have the luxury of a driveway for parking up also as opposed to the on street parking I have.

I'm 38, had our 1st motorhome when I was 34.
We are no good at DIY or mechanical stuff so decided a coachbuilt motorhome was best for us rather than trying to convert one ourselves.

I had my first self build motorhome in 1977 when I was 20, it was an ex military Bedford ambulance which was fitted out with the innards of a brand new scrapped caravan. The owner of the caravan parked it on it's first night without putting down the stabilisers and it got blown over by a good wind. I purchased the lot (caravan) for about £100 and sold the trailer for £50 and the aluminium for scrap (can't recall what I got for that) so it was a very cheap fitting.
I also had a Triumph Trident motorbike at the time so I just used to ride it into the back of the ambulance as both doors opened fully and drive around with it strapped into the back.... I had it for about three years then sold both so I could buy a car as my girlfriend (now my wife) liked neither! Here I am 36 years later (showing my age now!) with a coachbuilt (Dethleffs Alpa) enjoying the fruits of my labours, still working but as I work in the offshore oil industry I can have between four to six months off a year to pursue the hobby. My only regret is that I wish I had done it sooner.

Hubby is 45 and I'm 39...we had had our first motorhome for 12 months & have had the one we have now for 3 years....love it!

Unfortunately ours isn't "paid" for, but with a very small mortgage we can afford the re-payments. We're not advising this to be a good idea, but it works for us and we decided to get out on the road and enjoy ourselves...why wait?! :banana:

Been on and off camping since my childhood with family etc.

Then decided at 29 that I must do something as I always like the merc.. so got Saphira :D

20months later racing to my 31st birthday and still got it and thinking of going full time :D

Finally treated myself to a tiny camper for my 51st birthday ( impulse buy on eBay after a few too many glasses of fizz at birthday celebrations.) but to tell the truth, I had been fantasising of owning one since the age of 6!:D

My partner and I (37) in the past found it very difficult and stressful taking our 3 young children on holiday, with the ever increasing number of suitcases, pushchairs, car seats, toys etc. cost was also a factor for us. We bought our first motorhome last year and go out on it whenever we can, we load everything we need, go where we like, when we like, as cheaply or expensive as we like. Last summer we toured France and Italy and really enjoyed the freedom and sense of adventure, the kids love it too which is a bonus. After so many good memories we cannot wait to hit the road again for a long trip this summer :D

Sorry, can't quite make out your OP question - BIGGER PRINT PLEASE .

Started with sleeping bag, gas bottle, cooker, knife/fork/spoon & 1 frypan, 5l water container & bogroll in 1969 in rear of Ford Cortina estate during climbing expeditions. Remaining space needed for boots, crampons, ropes, carabiners, pitons etc.

I bought my first van in my mid 30s and have had one ever since. The are slowly getting more comfortable and less cool! Started with VWs and now had a fiat :)

You're all sooooo OLD!!!

I was 33 three week ago. Had my self build Tranny for nearly 18 months, but was sleeping across the fronts seats of an Iveco for 5 years prior. Reason I have a self build is due to work, as an Antique dealer I need something I can live in & carry stock, so its very bespoke. A coachbuilt or A-class would be impractical, silly little garages & narrow doors are no good to me. Though who I met at the Northern Halloween meet will know how much stuff I carry in the rear (and that was half empty).

BW I've a new & improved marquee available for the next meet!!!

Eh up ya cheeky young whipper snapper:raofl:, 'as an Antique dealer', you'll know all about old things then!:lol-049:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back