archos gps tablet for thirty pounds

That looks absolutely AMAZING value for money... Wots the catch? Must be one. Surely??:D

That looks absolutely AMAZING value for money... Wots the catch? Must be one. Surely??:D

As far as I can see, the only 'catch' is the £4.99 delivery charge and the fact it is a refurbished item. For £34.94 all in it's a bargain for a GPS/G3 8" tablet.

I have two of them they are great, however the GPS will only work if you have a Mifi, or Wifi connection.

According to the spec given by Morgan, it does not have GPS ...

Providing a 3G connection will allow it to determine location, rather inaccurately, by 3G mast data. Wi-fi connection will similarly provide a poor location fix.

It won't be able to run sat nav software.

gps

was sure i seen gps in the android settings a maybe go round and check took this from cnet
review

The Archos 80 G9 includes Honeycomb tablet hardware mainstays like an accelerometer, gyroscope, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, and GPS. Instead of using an Nvidia Tegra 2 processor like previous Honeycomb tablets, the 80 G9 is the first Honeycomb tablet to use the 1GHz Texas Instruments OMAP 4 dual-core processor. The speaker delivers fairly high volume, albeit with tinny sound that lacks bass. Also, because of its placement on the back of the tablet, its sound gets muffled when the tablet is laid down flat.

I purchased a archos 97b from PC world, I did not use it much, preferred a laptop.

When it was 13 months old it packed up, would not switch on, PCW could or should I say would NOT fix it, out of guarantee etc.

Later I followed instructions found on the web and fixed it myself

PCW attitude was archos, their rubbish throw it in the bin.

I have two of them they are great, however the GPS will only work if you have a Mifi, or Wifi connection.

According to the spec given by Morgan, it does not have GPS ...

Providing a 3G connection will allow it to determine location, rather inaccurately, by 3G mast data. Wi-fi connection will similarly provide a poor location fix.

It won't be able to run sat nav software.

I would imagine you need to check the box in the Location & Security settings to enable the built-in GPS receiver, just as you do on other Android devices. Once this has been done, I see no reason why you couldn't use it with any compatible navigation software.

The GPS function has nothing to do with 3G, WiFi, MiFi or any other type of signal/connection.

Last edited:
archos...restrictions

beware when buying archos if you intend to try to charge it from your vehicles 12v ports when travelling...........I dont think its possible to get a charger for them.........their input voltage is wrong I think.......steve bristol

beware when buying archos if you intend to try to charge it from your vehicles 12v ports when travelling...........I dont think its possible to get a charger for them.........their input voltage is wrong I think.......steve bristol

It's charged via the tablet's USB port so I see no reason why you can't charge it from a USB charger in your vehicle. It may take more current than that supplied by a cheap 12V - USB adaptor, though. USB is standardised at 5 Volts DC for ALL devices.

i got 3 seven inch tabs for £25 of ebay and a 10 inch for £35,ther ok but the down side is embeded batterys and one they go down its a bin job.mind you the smaller ones are now over six mth old and still going fine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back