Appledore Devon

• Thread starter Deleted member 56601
  • Start date

Deleted member 56601

Just been talking to the ticket chap. They have been instructed to book all mohos for overhanging bays, being too close etc. To comply with the rules you must use 2 bays and buy 2 tickets, if your vehicle is too long for one bay. Seems there is a local group trying to get mohos banned from here.

2 bays = 2 tickets = OK
Thats what I do with a note in the windscreen as well !
There may well be a move afoot
SW England appears on a "banning" roll in regard to motorhomes

When we went a couple of years back the parking warden pointed out a couple of bays that we could overhang into a void so as to only have to buy 1 ticket.

If memory serves me right, looking down the car park away from the ticket machine they were at the far end on the left by the railings.

So, as long as all 4 wheels were inside the lines ( which mine were just, 4.2m wheelbase ) it only counted as 1 bay.

The 2 bays with a white car and a dark car with lamp post over it by the footpath / railing in the centre of the screenshot.

Screenshot (19).png

There are several bays like that Graham, but he said the instructions they have been given mean the whole van must be inside. We come here a lot throughout the year and have never had a problem before

I've been going to Appledore every year for about six years and the warden has always been very helpful, but when there is a boat race or the band are playing the car park gets very full. Over the years the place has been getting more and more yuppy. The pubs have gone upmarket and the local shop is a deli now. Virtually all the houses are second home or holiday lets. I decided last year that it was my last.

There are several bays like that Graham, but he said the instructions they have been given mean the whole van must be inside. We come here a lot throughout the year and have never had a problem before

Ah, ok thanks Chris, i`ll bear that in mind if we come down there again because at 7.5m it`s definitely 2 bays then :(

Hi all. I live in Appledore. I have a VW and I love wild camping. My response to Antique Sam. Yes our warden is very helpful. Yes the the car park gets very full. But Appledore is no way getting 'yuppy'. The Royal. The Champ. The Beaver would all disagree with you on that point Sam. Real pubs full of real locals. The local shop is fit for purpose. When they revamped they asked the locals what we wanted and we got what we asked for. The problem is Appledore is it's becoming too popular and last year the amount of MoHo's in the car park was ridiculous. Overhanging on the pavements so families with buggies and wheelchair users had to dodge the traffic. Hogging the sea wall side to get the best views. It was selfish and petulant behaviour by the minority of MoHo's who sparked TDC into the new rules of 12 vans max in designated bays next to the toilets. Finally, you are so wrong about Appledore houses being second homes or holiday lets. There are a few but I think you may be confusing us with Salcombe or Padstow god forbid!

Agree with a lot of that, you could never call the 'Champ' yuppie :)
We used to visit quite often and got to know a few of the local dog walkers who would stop for a chat. Had meals in the pubs and took our fish n chips into the champ, to enjoy with a pint and usually they had local musicians too.
With the new parking regs, we sadly will not be visiting anymore :cry:

When we were in europe it was law that all car parks had to provide one space for a rigid and one for a artic, but in my life I have never seen them comply, wonder is it the same now we are out of union.

Edina. That's sad you won't be coming anymore. But the people of Appledore have had enough of inconsiderate motor-home owners. Last year I counted 33 MHs parked in and around the village. Blocking pathways, setting up camp across two bays and lighting BBQs. Enough is enough and the new regs were passed by TDC 27 - 3 in favour of limiting MHs to the toilet block area with a max of 12 allowed at any one time. This year has been a lot better. I pay £365 a year to park in Churchfields and several times last year I couldn't park cos of MHs double baying. We now have our village back!
Last year problem due to COVID-19 and staycations and novice new Motorhome/camper van users

Edina. That's sad you won't be coming anymore. But the people of Appledore have had enough of inconsiderate motor-home owners. Last year I counted 33 MHs parked in and around the village. Blocking pathways, setting up camp across two bays and lighting BBQs. Enough is enough and the new regs were passed by TDC 27 - 3 in favour of limiting MHs to the toilet block area with a max of 12 allowed at any one time. This year has been a lot better. I pay £365 a year to park in Churchfields and several times last year I couldn't park cos of MHs double baying. We now have our village back!
Thanks for your concern, but fortunately there are more forward thinking councils that welcome Motorhomes and the trade they bring to their local businesses.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back