Anyone used either of these companies?

Minisorella

Has anyone had any experience with Caravan & Motorhome Solutions in Chard, Somerset? We picked up a leaflet at a show a few months back and after a chat on the phone, are thinking about going to them for our solar panel. It's a fair way to go from home but we're happy to do that if members here give them a thumbs up.

The only other place we've come up with at the moment is one in Chichester - Motorhome Repair Centre. If anyone has any first hand experience of either company, some feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

Go to Solor Solutions in Poole they are brillient they will drop you off in town while your work is being done and you can stay in the yard over night with electric hook up and water we have used them 3 times never had a complaint and the prices are good.

I would advise getting the panel and controller yourself eg Ebay. Then just get a price for fitting.

The problem is that some people doing fitting and providing packages charge 300% mark up on the materials eg £300 instead of £100 for a 100W panel.

Or at least check their material prices are sensible :)

Thanks FF... you're absolutely right and we'll do some more investigating. Himself is a bit befuddled with it all and just wants it to stop! :D It certainly won't hurt to ask about fitting costs though.

No probs. It may be better to let them provide the bits so long as they are reasonable price, if you are not sure.

But budget £100 for a 100w panel, £50 regulator, £25 for wiring and other bits and pieces = £175. Say £200 including a bit of a mark up for them

Plus fitting 3 hours labour at £50 an hour say £150.

£350 Total parts and materials (Yes... to all the self builders and thrifters ... I know you can do it for a lot less, if you spend 5 days on ebay and get your wires from freecycle and your mounting angles fell off the back of a lorry, and you use your own labour!!)

But if they are quoting much more than £300 to £350 all in for a professional supply and fit then take a careful look at the price breakdown.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I have been thinking about panels too. I was recommended to get 2 x 90w or thereabouts.

2 x 90w is good for winter. 1 x 90w OK for summer. This would just be for lights, pumps, TV, chargers and computer.

With 3 or 4 x 90w you can think about running a small fridge, but probably need 3 or 4 batteries for that too.

I can recommend the seller friendly green giant on ebay a 100 watt panel £96 delivered.Very good service.

Go to Solor Solutions in Poole they are brillient they will drop you off in town while your work is being done and you can stay in the yard over night with electric hook up and water we have used them 3 times never had a complaint and the prices are good.

I can confirm Bambi's post. Even gave me key to the gates to lock up after I returned from town. Power and water available. Took my MH in the night before. I was booked in for the morning.

Mine cost £140

If you can wire a 13 amp plug you can fit a solar panel, only four connections to make and glue it to the roof with Sikaflex using aluminium angle for brackets from B&Q. Now I've got my fridge sorted we don't need EHU, which makes us far more independent, as we only need to fill up the 100 litre water tank and empty the loo, although we are on site this weekend as my daughter is here, so it's easier to be near toilets. The solar panel easiy tops up what we use for TV, lights and computers. The only tricky part is drilling through the roof, as it's possible to hit wiring if you are not careful and also cause a leak.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back