Anyone used an alfresco smokeless bbq?

Clunegapyears

A lovely expat here in Crete has just given us a B and Co alfresco smokeless barbecue grill. It is new, unused and boxed. Such a generous thing to do. It looks like it is quite a quality bit of kit. The instructions say quite clearly to use it not in leisure vehicles or boats! So outside it is.

The instructions say we need to get some lighter gel. I guess this would be similar to lighter fluid in a bottle. Anybody know any different?

Has anyone used one?
Any tips on cooking on it are gratefully received.
Katherine
48793F45-E88B-4958-A08E-7B20EE7E512C.jpeg

I had an "electriq" version a while back given to me from an "unwanted" birthday pressie friend, it was virtually smokeless and quite heatless :p thus no bbq flavour
I gave it away too. As it was much quicker wacking the gear in my stove and passing outside.

Seems to be quite popular "giving " these away :)

We had a Cob that is very similar. Ok for burgers and sausage. Pain in the neck to clean so have normal BBQ with charcoal that cooks steaks brilliantly. SWMBO does the cooking on our BBQ and moves the grill part up and down depending how near the flames she wants it.

We had a Cob that is very similar. Ok for burgers and sausage. Pain in the neck to clean so have normal BBQ with charcoal that cooks steaks brilliantly. SWMBO does the cooking on our BBQ and moves the grill part up and down depending how near the flames she wants it.
We left our Cadac at home for the same reason. Left the Webber Kettle, which we much prefer to cook on, also at home as it is bulky.
We‘ve been given this, so ought to try to use it. In Crete, so will need to source some charcoal and lighting gel/lighters, although it’s not the BBQ season.

I had an "electriq" version a while back given to me from an "unwanted" birthday pressie friend, it was virtually smokeless and quite heatless :p thus no bbq flavour
I gave it away too. As it was much quicker wacking the gear in my stove and passing outside.

Seems to be quite popular "giving " these away :)
This one uses a small amount of charcoal, so I’m hoping it will have that BBQ flavour, otherwise it’ll be cooking back the MH kitchen as now. The chap that gave it to us has just moved permanently out here; his big bbq and smoker are in a container dockside, so he doesn’t need this. Of course, the real reason he gifted, is ‘cos were such nice people!

I am glad you are sticking to manufactures instruction and tempted not to use inside ....as charcoal starts to cool down combustion starts becoming inefficient and starts to generate carrbon monoxide people have died bringing them into the awnings of tents

Camping I always use a traditional charcoal outside , my last restaurant imported a professional smoker from Ohio ,it used hickory and oak chips for smoking ribs with a rub and was supplemented with gas . A box of tricks that was

I am glad you are sticking to manufactures instruction and tempted not to use inside ....as charcoal starts to cool down combustion starts becoming inefficient and starts to generate carrbon monoxide people have died bringing them into the awnings of tents

Camping I always use a traditional charcoal outside , my last restaurant imported a professional smoker from Ohio ,it used hickory and oak chips for smoking ribs with a rub and was supplemented with gas . A box of tricks that was
If we swap to a massive US RV, we may have room for a big charcoal BBQ, and a smoker. Always fancied a sou vide too!!!

I have something similar that uses charcoal briquettes in a small vessel, with a battery powered fan, the heat is radiated then reflected upwards by a shiny stainless steel bowl. You can use it on a table top.

It does work, but is nothing like the full barbecue experience, which IMO requires lumpwood charcoal and juices dripping onto it.

However that's not allowed in many places where e.g. the area is tinder dry. So I use a Cadac gas barbie, which works very well and does come close to the charcoal experience. And can be turned on and off instantly. Missing out on the ritual of lighting up charcoal, waiting for the embers to die down, leaving it to burn out, cleaning burned on grease, disposing of ashes etc. One of the best things that I have bought.

I have something similar that uses charcoal briquettes in a small vessel, with a battery powered fan, the heat is radiated then reflected upwards by a shiny stainless steel bowl. You can use it on a table top.

It does work, but is nothing like the full barbecue experience, which IMO requires lumpwood charcoal and juices dripping onto it.

However that's not allowed in many places where e.g. the area is tinder dry. So I use a Cadac gas barbie, which works very well and does come close to the charcoal experience. And can be turned on and off instantly. Missing out on the ritual of lighting up charcoal, waiting for the embers to die down, leaving it to burn out, cleaning burned on grease, disposing of ashes etc. One of the best things that I have bought.
Thanks ... agree, but our BBQ at home ... we won’t be till end August.
What fuel do you use in the table top one?

Webber Go Anywhere barbie is the one to get for the van👍 Packs away and you can even get a carry bag for them. Great barbie and I’ve had mine over ten years.

Charcoal briquettes are what it takes. The quality is quite variable, they are made by compressing ground up charcoal, or something else, maybe coke, with a filler/binder, usually cement. Some appear to more cement than charcoal.

I've tried it with real charcoal but that didn't go well. It worked far too well and I had to extinguish it with a bucket of water..

You can't just add a few more as it's running low, they sit inside a small enclosure that screws on top of the air blower. In hindsight I should never have bought it.

There is the Cobb device which is a passive thing, no fan. Reputedly they work OK, ideally used with their proprietary "Cobb nuts" I wouldn't know.

Honestly I've tried most of these things, but either use a £20 folding barbecue and feed it with pine cones, driftwood and sticks, where permitted, or a bag of proper charcoal (local sourced, renewable, sustainable) throw on herbs that I've picked up by foraging, or just take out the Cadac Safari Chef. Highly recommended and does so much more than a barbecue. In Summer, living outdoors, it meets all my cooking needs. But I do like playing with fire and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
Used twice now, so a mini review ...
It does what it says on the tin. It is ready to cook within 10 minutes. Uses very little charcoal. Can turn the airflow down so it doesn’t burn the meat. Super easy to clean. Neat and tidy and doesn’t spread residual ash all over the back of the garage. Not as good a charcoal flavour as a good old-fashioned bbq, but miles better than the Safari Cadac. Only big enough for 2 people.
AAE9C2BE-E628-40F2-82B6-831FD2E822E2.jpeg

For ease of use and cleaning 10/10
Flavour 7/10
As incarcerated in Turkey on a campsite, can see us using it a lot.

Glad to see it came with a glass of wine !

Cadac 4 Us not difficult to clean, and has a slightly larger cooking area.
Again 2 peeps only but can do garlic bread as a starter. Then meat. Finally grilled veggies (Onion Aubergine Courgettes, sliced parboiled spuds. mushrooms)
Takes time but we seem to have loads of that at the moment !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back