Anyone tried these?

REC

My son was bought one for his birthday, uses it to heat lunch while at work. ( Drives round in a van.) He is really impressed with it. Was thinking if it would be useful in the campervan, days out or just heating beans ravioli etc when out? 100w for half an hour. Could plug it in half hour before snack stop?

Not sure I would want a heated lunch box for fruits!!! Other items in the picture look like salad. ???

• Funny
Reactions: GMJ
Interesting idea. Looks like a bento box with a heater.

Something that DOESN'T look right at all however ....
The second picture - it shows the two cables at the bottom? the lowest one is the AC cable. the upper one has a 12V plug one side, but the normal type of 2 pin AC connector the other end, same as the lower cable. The 4th picture shows why the DC cable end should look like, so just check what you get if you buy one!

Two comments.
a) The use the word "heat" rather than "cook". Be aware of this limitation.
b) 100 w is not very much power. A typical gas hob is around 2,000w. The gas will be a lot quicker. Might be worth waiting until you arrive and using gas.

Two comments.
b) 100 w is not very much power. A typical gas hob is around 2,000w. The gas will be a lot quicker. Might be worth waiting until you arrive and using gas.
Always be wary of reheating food . Safe temperature is higher than safe cooking temperature.
Especially on salads !

Its no more than a cool/hot box, had one sold it, not required in the van, ok for a van driver out and about.

Last edited:
Two comments.
And 60W is even less power. Apparently 100W on AC, 60W on 12v.

Think son does stir fry veg and reheats that or cooks it and puts in hot. Just wondered if of interest. Agree the advertisement leaves a lot to be desired:rolleyes: on some adverts they say microwave...Chinese methinks!

Some years back it was ‘de rigueur’ amongst the off road community to cook your food on the engine as you were driving along, has anyone tried it?

Some years back it was ‘de rigueur’ amongst the off road community to cook your food on the engine as you were driving along, has anyone tried it?
fish in silverfoil, steamed to perfection!

nope, never tried it, but using a slow cooker can be effective for using "free power". And they are only 120W, so 100W enough for that small box is not that unbelievable.

We had a slow cooker for the van ages ago, I think it was only 120w ran it off the inverter when the engine was running, off when not., warmed it all in a pan before setting off so it was basically keeping it warm, used to run a straw box the same way.

We had a slow cooker for the van ages ago, I think it was only 120w ran it off the inverter when the engine was running, off when not., warmed it all in a pan before setting off so it was basically keeping it warm, used to run a straw box the same way.
used to use a slow cooker all the time before stopped meat eating. stll do a fair bit. but found after cooking away for 6-7 hours, the food was so hot it would stay good to heat for hours after being turned off.
(when I did shows, I would sometimes prep the evening meal in the morning, leave running through the day - helped by the solar - and after shutting shop, dinner ready to eat :) perfect! )

I used to buy the odd pasty etc when I was driving and when I had the Transits they lent themselves to keeping it warm, Not unknown to lose them though.

I wonder why no one has come up with the idea of a small water tank in the engine so you can make tea as soon as you stop.

You can get small calorifiers, and larger ones if you wish to supply hot water using the engine. Many boats use them and some motorhomes.

I can see bigclive doing a teardown on one of those things one day, he seems fascinated by all the potentially lethal tat sold on eBay and Amazon!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back