Another wifi thread 🤷🏻‍♀️

suneye

Hello knowledgable people. I know alongside fridges and toilets this is probably the most discussed subject but I feel like catweazle and his electrickery . I watch YouTube videos about anntenas and routers but about 2 mins in my brain just glazes over. I have tried a couple of Hauwei mifi s and a cheap plug in antenna but this doesn’t work so want to upgrade. What I need is the security of a phone signal in rural Britain and to be able to plan my next route etc on my laptop. I don’t need to watch tv or edit videos or anything just real basic stuff - maps and phone calls . I was looking at a puck antenna but got bamboozled by the different ones. If it is possible could someone explain what I need in VERY simple terms. Thanks

one of the issues when travelling around is the network provider. You could be somewhere where say O2 is great and THREE is no use, and somewhere else where the reverse is true. That likely has more impact than an antenna would.

Thanks for this. Does this mean that the SIM I put in the mifi will affect my signal??? My phone is on a contract the uses EE so I don't think I can improve on that. Sorry most things I can get my head around but I seem to have a mental block about this.

Thanks for this. Does this mean that the SIM I put in the mifi will affect my signal??? My phone is on a contract the uses EE so I don't think I can improve on that. Sorry most things I can get my head around but I seem to have a mental block about this.
Most folks seem to reckon that EE is about the best for coverage wise...
Hence why I went for a EE data sim to use in the teltonika mobile router we use for the van....

The biggest difference I think you'll find is finding a way to connect/use an external antenna of some sort...
As if you think about it your trying to get a signal inside a mostly metal box...
Which is less than ideal.

We've certainly noticed a massive improvement since fitting an external antenna (mounted on the push up pole for the TV antenna.... Gives us a @ 1m lift above the van roof)

Don't worry too much, I feel the same way. Now if capital punishment was introduced for false or misleading advertising life would be easier.

We've certainly noticed a massive improvement since fitting an external antenna (mounted on the push up pole for the TV antenna.... Gives us a @ 1m lift above the van roof)
I wouldn't get this height with a puck antenna! I feel my brain freezing over already :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get this height with a puck antenna! I feel my brain freezing over already :rolleyes:
No BUT a decent external antenna will help as it's not sat in the tin box that is your average camper/motorhome.

I've known folks stick their mifi on the roof/inside the roof hatch so it can get a better signal

Most folks seem to reckon that EE is about the best for coverage wise...
Hence why I went for a EE data sim to use in the teltonika mobile router we use for the van....

The biggest difference I think you'll find is finding a way to connect/use an external antenna of some sort...
As if you think about it your trying to get a signal inside a mostly metal box...
Which is less than ideal.

Metal box yes
So put the phone on the dashboard and tether a tablet or laptop (to the phone)

Trouble is I live in the south so Dorset, Devon, Somerset are my usual stomping grounds and I would say that about 70% of carparks have no signal. The other week my granddaughter was ill and I was wandering the countryside in the dark trying to get a signal to phone them. If an antenna isn't going to help with this that's helpful to know.

What I need is the security of a phone signal in rural Britain
I think you will find that there is no such thing. I have posted before that my usual hunting ground for short trips is mid and west Wales. We have just spent a night in a CL not far from Cardigan. Not exactly in the sticks but absolutely no signal on any network. No antenna will help in these circumstances. Where the signal is marginal however, an antenna is very helpful.
FWIW I have the basic 4g/5g poynting puck which has 2 antenna cables. It comes with a selection of mounting options. I didn't drill a hole in the roof but used the side outlet base and passed the cables through the side wall of a rooflight.
The mifi is Huawei with two antenna inputs. For sims I have a 1p mobile (EE) and a Smarty (3). The sims have to be swapped over manually, which is a nuisance but I'll live with that for now.
IIRC the Ofcom website has a network coverage map which could help you choose the best for your needs.

In simple terms ….You need a good arial and router or mifi unit. Of those the arial is the most important. But it you are parked where there is no signal then none of that will help. It will help if a bit weak. For example it will turn one blob into three or four.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back