Another Tyre Question

Nigel L

We are due to pick up our new van on 8th December, and it is shod with Continental 215/75/R16 C tyres. Not the camping tyres (thank goodness) but these are summer tyres. As we plan to use Van all year round, want to get some all season tyres on asap. So, looked at getting the Continental Van Contact 4 seasons.
Have just been up to my local tyre fitter/garage who I have used for years, so sort of trust them, and his comment was, you will just be paying for a name!
He then recommended Maxxis all season, and they are £30 a corner cheaper. He reckons that they will be every bit as good.
I know tyres are a very personal thing, and everyone will have their own views etc, but just wondering if anyone else had any experience with Maxxis all season tyres.
Many thanks.

Are you sure they're not camping tyres? In that size and if on a Maxi chassis they may be built as a camping tyres but they are not allowed to use CP marking.

Are you sure they're not camping tyres? In that size and if on a Maxi chassis they may be built as a camping tyres but they are not allowed to use CP marking.
Hi, dropped an email to Continental tech dept, they said that the C was for Commercial tyre. Yes, on a Maxi chassis.
But want to change anyway, as are rated as summer tyres, and ideally want something better in the wet/ colder conditions.

Hi, dropped an email to Continental tech dept, they said that the C was for Commercial tyre. Yes, on a Maxi chassis.
But want to change anyway, as are rated as summer tyres, and ideally want something better in the wet/ colder conditions.
It's an odd thing about C vs CP, our Maxi chassis came with Conti 215/75-16 C, but they where constructed as camping tyres, the regs for camping tyres mean that it is impossible to construct a CP tyre in 215/75-16 which takes the Maxi axle loads. Note for the pedantic some companies might have 'camping' emblazoned on the tyre but they should be marked as C.

We are due to pick up our new van on 8th December, and it is shod with Continental 215/75/R16 C tyres. Not the camping tyres (thank goodness) but these are summer tyres. As we plan to use Van all year round, want to get some all season tyres on asap. So, looked at getting the Continental Van Contact 4 seasons.
Have just been up to my local tyre fitter/garage who I have used for years, so sort of trust them, and his comment was, you will just be paying for a name!
He then recommended Maxxis all season, and they are £30 a corner cheaper. He reckons that they will be every bit as good.
I know tyres are a very personal thing, and everyone will have their own views etc, but just wondering if anyone else had any experience with Maxxis all season tyres.
Many thanks.
No experience of Maxxis (very happy so far with my Agilis Cross-Climate), but at https://www.maxxis.com/uk/tyre/vansmart-as-al2/ there is no data under the Load Index heading, which is something you might want to check.

It's an odd thing about C vs CP, our Maxi chassis came with Conti 215/75-16 C, but they where constructed as camping tyres, the regs for camping tyres mean that it is impossible to construct a CP tyre in 215/75-16 which takes the Maxi axle loads. Note for the pedantic some companies might have 'camping' emblazoned on the tyre but they should be marked as C.
Interested in the camping tyre regs.
Got a handy link by any chance?

I see that the Vansmart AS AL2 215/75/R16 has a load index of 116, so 1250kg per tyre.

Interested in the camping tyre regs.
Got a handy link by any chance?
No link just 1st party experience, via phone calls to both Conti and Michelin. I think I first heard of this from 'robinhood' or 'derek uzzell' on OAL, I queried Conti about the construction of my tyres and they confirmed they were constructed as 'camper tyres' but they where not allowed to mark them as CP, I phoned Michelin about CrossClimate tyres for my van, and they confirmed that they could not make tyres of that size as CP therefore they could not recommend any tyre for my campervan, this is despite them making tyres which meet the load index. There where roumers some time back that the regs might change, but not heard that they have.

A couple of links to help.
116 rated tyres.
All season tyre test. Might be car tyres, but the manufacturer's ranking dont seem to change much.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back