Another Sat nav question

Talbot

Because of software update problem, I've had to send TomTom Go520 back for a refund so looking for another sat nav.

I'm considering the Garmin camper or Aguri Camper (snooper)

Both the Garmin and Snooper range of motorhome/caravan sat navs use identical maps and route attribute database e.g. bridge heights, road widths etc. This road map data and information is supplied by Here maps. So there is no map data difference between the two devices. Or so I have read. When connected to a laptop, AGURI shows as a drive, so adding poi's should be much easier than the proprietary system used by Garmin. AGURI comes with an inbuilt dashcam.

I have read good and bad reviews on both devices. Can anyone enlighten me and recommend either of these?

I have heard it said that we are unable to put our POIs on a Snooper.
I find a Garmin much easier to use than a Tom tom.

I've owned both the Snooper and the Garmin Camper. The Garmin is by far the best between the two, and you can add the wildcamping POI's, you can't with the Snooper.
My Snooper suffered with battery drain, so kept resetting itself at critical moments, horrible satnav, never again.

When connected to a laptop, AGURI shows as a drive, so adding poi's should be much easier than the proprietary system used by Garmin.
My Garmin Camper shows as a drive when connected to my laptop, so if you don't want use Garmin's POI Uploader you don't have to, although I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it. :confused:

I have read good and bad reviews on both devices. Can anyone enlighten me and recommend either of these?
For me the biggest advantage the Garmin has is it's own route planning software (Basecamp) that works offline and doesn't require you to install any maps as long as your device is connected to the computer it's running on. Beware it is a large program so my advice is to use the portable version on a USB flashdrive which is leaner and faster. All brands have their quirks, you just have to get used to them. :D

Regards,
Del

I use Garmin Camper, and an older model - his 'n hers - and find them ok. However, the restrictions you refer to are from a database supplied by local and national authorities and you will still be routed along roads with no statutory restrictions that can be bordering on impossible in a MH even after you input your details. Bearing this in mind Garmin are a doddle to use and transfer POIs to.

i have a 4 year old garmin and being non tecchie even i can use it. it did try to take me down 2 roads with height restrictions in France this summer but apart from that its been fabulous....

Garmin Camper for me :dance:

I`ve had numerous TomTom`s and a cheapy Chinese one ( which died dramatically in Wales :scared: ) and the Garmin is by far the best one yet.

A nice large ( 7" ) screen which is very clear and easy to read although direct sunlight does affect it as it does with all of them.

Lifetime map updates which are very easy to do using Garmin Express but some do take a while to download due to the size of them / speed of your connection :sad:

Our POI`s load onto it very easily using Garmin POI Loader and the instructions on here in the POI Download section :hammer:

Because of software update problem, I've had to send TomTom Go520 back for a refund so looking for another sat nav.

I'm considering the Garmin camper or Aguri Camper (snooper)

Both the Garmin and Snooper range of motorhome/caravan sat navs use identical maps and route attribute database e.g. bridge heights, road widths etc. This road map data and information is supplied by Here maps. So there is no map data difference between the two devices. Or so I have read. When connected to a laptop, AGURI shows as a drive, so adding poi's should be much easier than the proprietary system used by Garmin. AGURI comes with an inbuilt dashcam.

Morning,

I have got the latest Garmin camper and I am well pleased with it. Just do not trust it with the bridge height at Cunit.

Bernie:dog:

Call me tight if you want but I have a standard Garmin seen too many lie about bridge height etc to get one that tells me stay out of Cornwall completely due to width restrictions lol all the time I can see I will use my standard Garmin Nuvi no issues what so ever with it in the 4 years I have had it and read the restrictions rather than rely on polly or paul voice to tell me the height or width and my mind would not let me go past a nice quiet tight road I would hear the voice say no but my one in my head would be saying yes have a look no sign saying no and I would be going along thinking I bet that was a cracking place to overnight down there naaaaaaaaa couldn`t be doing with that telling me not to go under that or down that it is bad enough with her next door in passenger seat telling me let lone getting in in stereo:)

We had the Aguri for a few months. To be perfectly honest it was pretty mediocre as a sat nav. We tried persevering with it but eventually got our money back. It has a very slow start up procedure (you have to ok several screen messages) and more often than not it was unable to lock on to any satellites. Then there was the problem of locations not being in the database. I could go on...

Our only experience prior to owning a Garmin was a car built in jobbie which was not brilliant but eventually got us to where we wanted.

The Garmin (770) I think is superb. It has made mistakes (once) with road width, which when we spoke to other branded satnav users on a site, they were all routed the same way.
I found it easy enough to load wildcamping POI onto it and I'm not savvy to these things.
I guess none are going to be foolproof, but I can say it does a good job for us.

Ditto to what Tim has said. My 6 year old Garmin has served me really well over the years, never led me under a low bridge and rarely down narrow roads, unless there's no other option, ie approaching a rally field or pubstop down a lane. A little icon pops up on the screen if the satnav isn't totally happy about having to take me down a road it can't avoid, so that's a good prompt to take things extra carefully.

It's important to keep the maps updated, so I got one with lifetime updates, to avoid having to spend extra money every time they issue a new map. I've had Tom Toms in the past, which were fine, and I've seen lots of friends with all kinds of lesser-known brands or manufacturer-supplied models with their own tricksy management system overlaid on the maps. None have worked as well or been as user-friendly as my Garmin. The bottom line is, I trust it.

We had the Aguri for a few months. To be perfectly honest it was pretty mediocre as a sat nav. We tried persevering with it but eventually got our money back. It has a very slow start up procedure (you have to ok several screen messages) and more often than not it was unable to lock on to any satellites. Then there was the problem of locations not being in the database. I could go on...

Bear in mind that the Aguri is just an Android tablet with a bespoke satnav system loaded on it.

In my view it's better to buy an Android tablet with a decent specification then choose which satnav app you want to use ...

I notice Waze has now got over 100 million downloads. Now owned by Google it's a very powerful app, but I think you need data to run it. That's the downside. My son uses it and thinks it's brilliant.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back