Another rip off

Do check the type of thumb locks that you have fitted.
To unlock mine, you need to push the knob before it will turn. No great problem, but if the door is locked and the knob is not vertically aligned (mine are an oval/rectangular shape), then the knob is held in its turning position and a key cannot be fully inserted from outside, thus rendering it incapable of being opened from outside.

Davy

We only lock it at night when we're both indoors so position isn't a problem, and if we go out of course it's locked via the key

Called at a key cutting shop to get a spare key for my front door , wanted 3 new
keys that will be £84 being a yorkshireman I declined ,,
They key to this issue is to go to a cheaper shop innit...

Never seen the point of expensive locks in glass doors or if there's windows that the scroats can smash
The only thing to remember if the lock is very poor quality and someone breaks in through a window, a loss adjust may still use the substandard door lock to reduce a claim.

One of my tenets had exactly that with a shed, window put in, lawnmower, other tools and an expensive push bike taken insurance company response “lock not good enough”

I am now subject of a GOVERNMENT RipOff

1 I have to repay a few Thousand Pounds of State pension due to living in Thailand as I am only due £123 a week and over 8 years my Pension paid had gone up. This is Law so I know I have to pay and will pay. The overpayment is based on 8 years.
I do not dispute this and is a matter for DWP
However I have paid income tax aat 20% on this.
The HMRC only allow 4 years but still a decent amount @20%
The tax year rolls over soon so I am likely to lose 20 % of 2018/2019 Repayments
Phone calls ongoing but no real progress
A HMRC need year by year detail.
DWP very slow to provide the info which needs to go to hMRC very soon to reclaim for 2018/9
He DWP agent I spoke to yesterday seemed to be unclear that they should send details to HMRC.
I find this amazing as HMRC calculate my tax code based on DWP figures and time is running out.
THIS is a ripoff
Phone call planned at 8am UK time. To DWP Overseas
" Hello Mr Grumpy here" ...NO I am polite but determined/forceful/reasonable.
They (DWP) were alerted way back last September but my repay BILL only arrived 1 week ago
Unacceptable delay

PS HMRC have an online Chat bot. That works well !
DWP not so
Update in due course

The only thing to remember if the lock is very poor quality and someone breaks in through a window, a loss adjust may still use the substandard door lock to reduce a claim.

One of my tenets had exactly that with a shed, window put in, lawnmower, other tools and an expensive push bike taken insurance company response “lock not good enough”

Sounds like an insurance company cop out Kev for the shed incident. I can't imagine and shed door being a match for a decent crow bar no matter what lock it had?

Having said that I expect that there was a clause in the policy micro print that stated that the lock should meet some sort of standard.

I am now subject of a GOVERNMENT RipOff

1 I have to repay a few Thousand Pounds of State pension due to living in Thailand as I am only due £123 a week and over 8 years my Pension paid had gone up. This is Law so I know I have to pay and will pay. The overpayment is based on 8 years.
I do not dispute this and is a matter for DWP
However I have paid income tax aat 20% on this.
The HMRC only allow 4 years but still a decent amount @20%
The tax year rolls over soon so I am likely to lose 20 % of 2018/2019 Repayments
Phone calls ongoing but no real progress
A HMRC need year by year detail.
DWP very slow to provide the info which needs to go to hMRC very soon to reclaim for 2018/9
He DWP agent I spoke to yesterday seemed to be unclear that they should send details to HMRC.
I find this amazing as HMRC calculate my tax code based on DWP figures and time is running out.
THIS is a ripoff
Phone call planned at 8am UK time. To DWP Overseas
" Hello Mr Grumpy here" ...NO I am polite but determined/forceful/reasonable.
They (DWP) were alerted way back last September but my repay BILL only arrived 1 week ago
Unacceptable delay

PS HMRC have an online Chat bot. That works well !
DWP not so
Update in due course

There’s a heck of a lot of ‘blind’ right and left hands betwix those two departments (HMRC and DWP) and there’s definitely an avoidance of hand shaking between them.

Their systems and procedures are poor and “lines of communication” between the two departments, as well as with everyone externally who needs to interact with them both for whatever reason, can be dire.

I’m not sure if it is a deliberate ploy, or general mismanagement & internal inefficiency, or a combination of both. If I were a betting person I’d place my bet on the latter.

Sorry you’re having so much aggro with sorting it, Phil, hope you get through to the b*ggers soon!

Day-to-day life in many areas these last 3 or 4 years can frequently be akin to walking through thick treacle. There’s definitely been an increase in the instances of folk banging their heads against new brick walls! 😉 🤷‍♀️

There’s a heck of a lot of ‘blind’ right and left hands betwix those two departments (HMRC and DWP) and there’s definitely an avoidance of hand shaking between them.

Their systems and procedures are poor and “lines of communication” between the two departments, as well as with everyone externally who needs to interact with them both for whatever reason, can be dire.

I’m not sure if it is a deliberate ploy, or general mismanagement & internal inefficiency, or a combination of both. If I were a betting person I’d place my bet on the latter.

Sorry you’re having so much aggro with sorting it, Phil, hope you get through to the b*ggers soon!

Day-to-day life in many areas these last 3 or 4 years can frequently be akin to walking through thick treacle. There’s definitely been an increase in the instances of folk banging their heads against new brick walls! 😉 🤷‍♀️
Yes ! HMRC said they n3ed info from DWP
DWP Noooo
However HMRC know my Due pension for this year THAT I assume came from DWP

I maybe 3 legs rather than 2 hands One of the legs being a useless pr**k

Thumb type locks may not be acceptable to insurance for burglary. All external doors must be lockable with an approved type lock and key.

Soo.... NOTHER wasted telephone call to DWP (Newcastle)
Might have to ask Marie to visit them !!!
Passed me to another department then cut off
THEY will get a formal complaint AHEAD
1 Slow and poor service
2 Wasted telephone charges
3 Frustration
4 repayment of tax for 2018/9

Soo.... NOTHER wasted telephone call to DWP (Newcastle)
Might have to ask Marie to visit them !!!
Passed me to another department then cut off
THEY will get a formal complaint AHEAD
1 Slow and poor service
2 Wasted telephone charges
3 Frustration
4 repayment of tax for 2018/9

This is about par for the course.

I had similar stupidities and delays just claiming my State Pension at the end of 2022.

It’s almost as if they’re reluctant to give you what you have earned and are entitled to - shock, horror! Difficult to believe they would do that though (not!) 😳😱😈 😂

We had trouble with DWP when Liz's small private pension went up by 35p per month, she rang them to inform them, but they didn't log the call, and even though we could prove she made the call they still wanted to fine us £100 for not informing them, I was told that because I didn't have full NI stamps, I could claim against my ex wife's stamps, 3 years of back and forth for them to tell me I had run out of time or some crap.

I now have a call recorder app and inform them so, to cut out all the BS they spout.

Sounds like an insurance company cop out Kev for the shed incident. I can't imagine and shed door being a match for a decent crow bar no matter what lock it had?

Having said that I expect that there was a clause in the policy micro print that stated that the lock should meet some sort of standard.
I thought it was unlawful for insurance companies to use this sort of get out? ie the excuse/reason for not paying out must have a relevance to the claim. So if my house burns down the insurance company cant dismiss/ reduce the claim value because I didn't lock the front door. Or I break my leg on holiday, the ins co cant consider that I'd not disclosed my asthma. If the burglar didn't enter the shed via the door then they shouldn't consider what type of lock was on that door surely? I'd have personally contested that but I'm a bit that way inclined. False info there, I'm extremely that way inclined :whistle:

We had a massive storm in the 80's and part of my roof blew off, I claimed and the ins co assessor came and said no problem well repair it, what with says I, the nearest we can get to match, oh no you won't, I want it doing properly or not at all or it will devalue my house, so he said well we will do all the back roof, not good enough, so I got in my own assessor who agreed with me so I got the whole new roof with new hip & ridge tiles and a couple of new rafters as they were a bit warped.

It pays to get your own, it's free as ins co pay for it, not sure you'd get such a good result but it is worth trying as they can only deny the claim.

I thought it was unlawful for insurance companies to use this sort of get out? ie the excuse/reason for not paying out must have a relevance to the claim. So if my house burns down the insurance company cant dismiss/ reduce the claim value because I didn't lock the front door. Or I break my leg on holiday, the ins co cant consider that I'd not disclosed my asthma. If the burglar didn't enter the shed via the door then they shouldn't consider what type of lock was on that door surely? I'd have personally contested that but I'm a bit that way inclined. False info there, I'm extremely that way inclined :whistle:
We had a massive storm in the 80's and part of my roof blew off, I claimed and the ins co assessor came and said no problem well repair it, what with says I, the nearest we can get to match, oh no you won't, I want it doing properly or not at all or it will devalue my house, so he said well we will do all the back roof, not good enough, so I got in my own assessor who agreed with me so I got the whole new roof with new hip & ridge tiles and a couple of new rafters as they were a bit warped.

It pays to get your own, it's free as ins co pay for it, not sure you'd get such a good result but it is worth trying as they can only deny the claim.

I think that Insurance companies will always try it on to get either out of a payout or the cheapest option.

They rely on soft touches who accept their decisions rather than fight it and unfortunately they probably get away with it far too often.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back