Another one to avoid.... Beadnell, Northumberland

Not necessarily in his case.
'Councillors' are not actually 'employed' by the council, so he doesn't fall into that category, although I know exactly what you mean! šŸ˜‚

His profile on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/guy-renner-thompson-19422745/

Think he's a farmer, amongst other things, including a community-based charity that supports older people.
I'd say it's hard to judge someone entirely just from one newspaper article.
I am old so he may let me park up šŸ‘

Actually, I've gone back and re-read that newspaper article properly and I would say you have another councillor involved who is definitely more of the nimby type.

Cllr Jen Hall, parish council vice chairman, called for the review of parking charges to go ahead despite the recent coronavirus lockdown.
ā€œOne of the problems is we have a 72-hour parking charge which seems to say ā€˜you can stay here for 72 hoursā€™,ā€ she explained. ā€œPlease can we review that and have something a bit more sensible?
"I believe tickets have been issued and people fined for staying there overnight so there has been some success but we need to get the word out that if you stay there you will be fined.ā€

Whereas your man has only commented that he will raise the issue:-

'Cllr Renner-Thompson responded: ā€œPart of my intention when we have the review is to flag up the 72-hour parking because although there is a little sign saying ā€˜no campingā€™, a traffic warden there in the day time canā€™t prove theyā€™re camping. Theyā€™re parked there which theyā€™re allowed to do.ā€ '

At least he recognises that it is currently legal, but whether they go ahead and change this car park status, who knows? :confused:

Again, like Alnmouth, there is no mention in this article about any mess or anti-social behaviour which the newspaper would be reporting like hot cakes!

So, my bet is on more nimbyism.

Hmm. Wonder what Cllr Jen Hall's background/interest is?

Cllr. Guy Renner Thompson has a FB page with his recent interview on local radio about "rouge vans". a little spelling mistake.

Found it here and left a comment. The Radio interview is a few articles down the page.

Cllr Jen Hall is ninth generation resident of Beadnell. She raises some valid points about the rise in holiday homes.

TBH I have some sympathy with her arguments on this one, but at the same time I think her resentment about what has happened to her place of birth "over the last 30 years" (her quote) maybe goes a little way to explain her animosity towards campervans?

Chronicle Live, May 2016:-

Rise in Northumberland holiday homes is 'killing' a coastal community

Definitely a touch of nimbyism about campervans all the same...

If you walk along the front at Craster a very large percentage of the homes are now holiday lets. They are building x4 new homes but i very much doubt they are for local folk. I have x3 coastal spots i stay at when in Northumberland and so far, no problems but i do avoid the villages. Motorhomes bad, selling all your houses to let the village die, good.

Hi Marie, he appears to have his fingers in a few pie's, he certainly appears to be good at feathering his own nest, good in business, as long as he is major beneficiary. I note he is involved with a company I deal with, so I better tread carefully..........lol.

Appears he is a parish councillor, far different from our clowncillors who feed from our Ā£ filled snout trough.

Jen Hall is the parish councillor (female, retired). Yer other bod, Guy Renner-Thompson is a county councillor and not parish councillor? I could be wrong though... :)

I noticed Bill and Barry's responses to Renner-Thompson's FB post and penned another.

I doubt whether it will make one jot of difference.
Never met a councillor of any persuasion yet who took a blind bit of notice of anyone else's opinions, but you can always live in hope! ;)šŸ˜‚

Here it is:-

"I am outraged about the myths that proliferate about campervans and motorhomes. As a born and bred Geordie, Northumberland is nearly always my go to place when I need a short break locally. I am a 63 year old woman with cancer. I currently own a small motorhome with all the facilities on board to cater for my needs, including onboard shower, toilet and instant hot water. It keeps me safe with the ability to self-isolate. It is a completely self-contained home on wheels. The thought that I would dump the effluent from the motorhome holding tanks by the side of the road or in the dunes is absolutely abhorrent and it's something no responsible motorhome owner would ever dream of doing!

Whilst I understand that you may well have had an influx of 'covidiots' recently due to the effects of the pandemic, this is very much a draconian response to the 'problem' which will have a knock-on effect with the many thousands of highly responsible motorhome owners - including foreign motorhomes from Europe who are used to Aires and frequent one-night park-ups while travelling. Although I doubt we'll be seeing the return of the latter anytime soon!

We don't always wish, or indeed need, to be corralled onto campsites. Many of the motorhoming fraternity I know travel on a whim. That's one of the major benefits of owning a motorhome. It isn't always possible to just turn up last minute and book into a campsite. They are usually full up in high season, and even more so since the pandemic arrived and everyone wants to 'staycation' instead. It is possible that some of the problems you have been experiencing recently are due to the fact that many caravan and camping sites will currently only accept self-contained motorhome due to the pandemic. This is because their toilet and shower facilities remain closed regardless, so anyone in a campervan without the proper facilities (and who may be new to the pastime) would be refused entry onto their sites in any case.

You could try a different approach and think outside the box. It is obvious that many people do not actually understand how motorhomes and campervans work. There are many ways you could see the situation as a very workable business opportunity rather than a problem to be faced off with draconian prevention measures.

It's so very sad to be made to feel so unwelcome in a part of the country that has meant so much to me all of my life simply because of my mode of transport."

Very well put Marie. As you say probably wont make a bit of difference as far as the councillor is concerned but other people will read it too - and agree. I wish you well.

Very well put Marie. As you say probably wont make a bit of difference as far as the councillor is concerned but other people will read it too - and agree. I wish you well.

No need to feel sorry for me, but thanks for the sentiment anyway ;) šŸ‘

I'm nearly at the end of my particular cancer treatment and as far as they can ever tell I'm perfectly OK.
It's never 100% guarantee - it never can be, that's just the nature of the beast, but no worries.

However - this councillor happens to be involved in a community charity that looks after elderly people, so it seemed pertinent to yank his chain (or conscience? That's if he has one, of course. Hard to tell with many local councillors - I speak from past experience of dealing with the species!! šŸ˜œ ).

Cancer comes with very little that is advantageous, so I say why not use it as a small weapon for doing good if the situation might merit it? ;):devilish::cool:šŸ˜‚

Why aye, pet lamb (y) ;)

Although up in Northumberland it's more usual to roll your rrrrrsss šŸ¤£ šŸ˜‚ :cool:

The influx of southerners over the years could mean there's more of an 'up yer rrrrsss' atmosphere nowadays, rather than just rolling them :oops::LOL::LOL::LOL:
youve got the ticks for that, be care-ful, an rrrr-sss. with ticks can be painful, ok.pj. thats me ticked off,

I noticed Bill and Barry's responses to Renner-Thompson's FB post and penned another.

I doubt whether it will make one jot of difference.
Never met a councillor of any persuasion yet who took a blind bit of notice of anyone else's opinions, but you can always live in hope! ;)šŸ˜‚

Here it is:-

"I am outraged about the myths that proliferate about campervans and motorhomes. As a born and bred Geordie, Northumberland is nearly always my go to place when I need a short break locally. I am a 63 year old woman with cancer. I currently own a small motorhome with all the facilities on board to cater for my needs, including onboard shower, toilet and instant hot water. It keeps me safe with the ability to self-isolate. It is a completely self-contained home on wheels. The thought that I would dump the effluent from the motorhome holding tanks by the side of the road or in the dunes is absolutely abhorrent and it's something no responsible motorhome owner would ever dream of doing!

Whilst I understand that you may well have had an influx of 'covidiots' recently due to the effects of the pandemic, this is very much a draconian response to the 'problem' which will have a knock-on effect with the many thousands of highly responsible motorhome owners - including foreign motorhomes from Europe who are used to Aires and frequent one-night park-ups while travelling. Although I doubt we'll be seeing the return of the latter anytime soon!

We don't always wish, or indeed need, to be corralled onto campsites. Many of the motorhoming fraternity I know travel on a whim. That's one of the major benefits of owning a motorhome. It isn't always possible to just turn up last minute and book into a campsite. They are usually full up in high season, and even more so since the pandemic arrived and everyone wants to 'staycation' instead. It is possible that some of the problems you have been experiencing recently are due to the fact that many caravan and camping sites will currently only accept self-contained motorhome due to the pandemic. This is because their toilet and shower facilities remain closed regardless, so anyone in a campervan without the proper facilities (and who may be new to the pastime) would be refused entry onto their sites in any case.

You could try a different approach and think outside the box. It is obvious that many people do not actually understand how motorhomes and campervans work. There are many ways you could see the situation as a very workable business opportunity rather than a problem to be faced off with draconian prevention measures.

It's so very sad to be made to feel so unwelcome in a part of the country that has meant so much to me all of my life simply because of my mode of transport."
its sad, not you the situation, we the people, love our i said our country, as a hole, not there,s ours, they need re-minding. we leave no mess,but they make one,ok.pj.

Here you go.

Linky: A new era for tourism in Northumberland

Anyone want to attend to give them a balanced viewpoint? :devilish:

I once worked for the Northumbria Tourist Board for 2 years - gawd it was hard work!
Bit like banging your head against a brick wall :oops:
It no longer exists...

A few of the actual tourism businesses who were members were switched on (not all, mind!), but the board itself was one of those quite strange public quangos.

The public sector is a weird place. Think dark ages, dinosaurs and jobsworths and you will get the picture.
My first and last time, although the experience was quite enlightening!
So if I appear cynical... you now know why ;) šŸ˜‚

In comparison to so many areas Northumberland doesn't have a tourist industry. It's the most under rated area in the country. Where else can you walk miles along a beach and see perhaps a dozen people in summer? If they want a tourist industry they should wake up and smell the coffee.

In comparison to so many areas Northumberland doesn't have a tourist industry. It's the most under rated area in the country. Where else can you walk miles along a beach and see perhaps a dozen people in summer? If they want a tourist industry they should wake up and smell the coffee.

Very true.... Stunning beaches, interesting history, friendly folks (by and large)
And few crowds away from the honeypots...

Love it up there

The problem is I don't think they do want to wake up and smell the coffee, and perhaps even less so nowadays?

First off house prices are very expensive.
Second homes and holiday properties have taken over, much like other areas of the country which are also extremely attractive spots.

Second homes generally become just an occasional playground for rich people who don't often bother themselves about the locals as they're only there a handful of times (if that) each year. I'm talking about those who keep them for exclusive use and can afford not to rent them out the rest of the time.

Then there are the locals who may be long-term residents, sometimes of several generations, and who own property themselves, possibly a farm or other buildings/properties. Farming communities have become quite adept at diversifying. There's many a farmer's wife who does B&B or rents out a converted holiday property or two. Or has a camping or caravan site.

By the very nature of those other type of accommodation business they don't really care about camper vans one way or the other, except possibly from a nimby point of view. The caravan site owners obviously have more of a vested interest. They selfishly don't want mohos coming into their area who don't book into their facility. I say selfish because they don't seem to consider other types of non-accommodation businesses that would actually benefit from the extra footfall.

There are also a fair few naive, small-minded, and often rather parochial owners of all business types. To say quite a few lacked even the most rudimentary marketing nounce would be a gross understatement! :oops:

Then there are the 'retirees' who don't need the income and can easily afford to be nimbys.

The rest of the non-tourist dependent population are working in all sorts of other jobs busy earning themselves a living. Most will be too busy getting on with their lives to bother about campervans. If they do have any objections, then I strongly suspect they will also fall into the nimby category.

Thing is, no matter how 'safe' and cozy they may feel in their pretty villages and towns, C-19 is going to leave it's mark across all communities and will continue to do so for some time to come. What may suit one person's 'vested interests' may not suit their neighbours.

Question is, can the county as a whole afford to miss out on extra business, whatever shape that takes? This doesn't just apply to Northumberland either, the thorny problem affects the rest of the UK too.

I thought the conference this month was to explore ways of increasing tourism not to find ways to inhibit it.

Reactions: 2cv
I thought the conference this month was to explore ways of increasing tourism not to find ways to inhibit it.

Exactly :)

Once upon a time I would have joined in myself with something like this to shake them up a little, but tbh I have far more important things to worry about these days.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back