Another Mastic question.

Mossystone

Is there an expert on sticky stuff on line?

I have to fit a new window following an attempted break-in. The window is a double glazed acrylic unit set in a rubber molding surround in the door of my Autocruise M home. I would like to ensure a good seal in the rubber/door joint and the rubber/window joint (if I can get the window in) by applying "mastic". Can someone recommend a suitable sealant please.

I have to fit a new window following an attempted break-in. The window is a double glazed acrylic unit set in a rubber molding surround in the door of my Autocruise M home. I would like to ensure a good seal in the rubber/door joint and the rubber/window joint (if I can get the window in) by applying "mastic". Can someone recommend a suitable sealant please.

Tiger seal. available from car parts suppliers.

Bear in mind , there is a vast difference between mastic and silicone.

Normally windows that are fitted in a rubber surround do not need a sealant ( If the rubber is still supple ) to fit the window take out the seal and place around the new window then get a long piece of coated wire like you see on a car and place this around the inset on the outside of the seal with about 6" overlap at each end then put some lube in the insert of the rubber ( like swarfega or thind down washing up liquid ) you may need 2 people for the next bit , place the window to the out side of the door with the wires on the inside of the door and try and place part of the seal onto where is fits on the door and slight pressure from the outside start to pull one end of the wire and keep the pressure on following the wire and carry on all the way round .
hope this helps a little, Keith

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
I think I will try the wire trick first, probably with some warmth to soften the rubber. It's a new seal and doesn't feel very pliable. When is the next sunny day predicted?

I would immerse the rubber seal in hot water first for a few minutes, and as using the wire I would not, it may cut in the rubber, instead use some strong string, and as your helper pushes the glass/window in, you pull on the string at an angle so as to lift the lip of the rubber.

I would immerse the rubber seal in hot water first for a few minutes, and as using the wire I would not, it may cut in the rubber, instead use some strong string, and as your helper pushes the glass/window in, you pull on the string at an angle so as to lift the lip of the rubber.

But the wire must have a plastic coating , Makes it easy to move against the rubber.

But the wire must have a plastic coating , Makes it easy to move against the rubber.

It needs to slide over the rubber, string can act as a sawblade - it's a fine line between wire cutting the rubber and string sawing the rubber, good luck.

Hi use this as I have used it when I locked my keys in the van . The widow is still inplace after two years and is water tight . Never be without a tube of this . Get it from screw fix . Geocel black at £5.65 .

Geocel The Works Sealant & Adhesive Black 290ml Enlarge Image The Works Sealant & Adhesive Black 290ml Enlarge Image
View product video for The Works Sealant & Adhesive Black 290ml View product video for The Works Sealant & Adhesive Black 290ml
The Works Sealant & Adhesive Black 290ml

Product Code: 66022

View reviews (5)
5 out of 5

290ml. Bonds and seals virtually any material. Manages all kinds of jobs impossible with traditional solvents or water-based sealants and adhesives. Apply in wet or dry conditions. No shrinkage or staining and no solvents. Resists mould growth, flexible and overpaintable.

Normally windows that are fitted in a rubber surround do not need a sealant ( If the rubber is still supple ) to fit the window take out the seal and place around the new window then get a long piece of coated wire like you see on a car and place this around the inset on the outside of the seal with about 6" overlap at each end then put some lube in the insert of the rubber ( like swarfega or thind down washing up liquid ) you may need 2 people for the next bit , place the window to the out side of the door with the wires on the inside of the door and try and place part of the seal onto where is fits on the door and slight pressure from the outside start to pull one end of the wire and keep the pressure on following the wire and carry on all the way round .
hope this helps a little, Keith

I used this method to replace a triumph dolomite windsceen. Ahh, those were the days, when you could work on a car, seems like you can only service them nowadays.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back