Another fridge question

Makzine

For those that are more proficient than me, our fridge on our 1994 hyper 694 has decided to not chill properly on gas. It works and chills ok on 240v and 12v so assuming that it doesn't need Regassing? We have blown the cobwebs out and the flame lights up ok so have now run out of ideas. :wave:

I suppose it can only be flame adjustment or position. Is it big enough? Plenty heat coming out of the flue?

The jet / burner assembly, and the flue chimney need a good cleaning...there'll be soot, rust, and lots of muck there.
If you do a search on my posts Ive detailed how I've done it in the past.

The jet / burner assembly, and the flue chimney need a good cleaning...there'll be soot, rust, and lots of muck there.
If you do a search on my posts Ive detailed how I've done it in the past.

I've given the chimney a good blow out with a compressor as I know cobwebs can be a pain. Will check your posts later when we have better connection thanks.

How horizontal are you parked?

Reason I ask is that the fridge in my previous van wouldn't cool properly if the van was more than a couple of degrees off horizontal.

Morph.

How horizontal are you parked?

Reason I ask is that the fridge in my previous van wouldn't cool properly if the van was more than a couple of degrees off horizontal.

Morph.

Never had a problem before and we've been parked up at some funny angles sometimes.

You probably need to clean out or replace the jet, as the flame is not high enough.

Thats also what I think,same symptons for me last week,a healthy looking flame but not powerfull enough to make icecubes so I took the burner assembley off the gas feed pipe and poked out an obstruction in the jet at the same time cleaning the feed pipe and turning the gas back on (pipe open)which blew debri out.The flame can now be heard like a roar.My fridge also is 1993.

It is not advisable to clear the jet using any kind of probe. The material is very soft and you risk enlarging the jet which will lead to poor combustion.

I agree from my own experience that a partially blocked jet is likely to be the problem. I have found that using a small quantity of solvent forced through the jet is the best solution. This I follow with a blast of compressed air. I use my 12v tyre pump to do this, but a can of air 'duster' should also work.

It is not advisable to clear the jet using any kind of probe. The material is very soft and you risk enlarging the jet which will lead to poor combustion.

I agree from my own experience that a partially blocked jet is likely to be the problem. I have found that using a small quantity of solvent forced through the jet is the best solution. This I follow with a blast of compressed air. I use my 12v tyre pump to do this, but a can of air 'duster' should also work.

Thanks for that link for replacement part,Ive been resurecting my grotty looking burner for several years,the problem has always been a partially blocked jet cured by pocking a piece of brass wire snipped off a brush held in pliers.The actual burner has never been a problem.

the problem has always been a partially blocked jet cured by pocking a piece of brass wire snipped off a brush held in pliers.The actual burner has never been a problem.

I use fine strand of copper wire, I'm sure that will be softer than the pressed metal jet and therefore shouldn't affect the tiny hole/jet diameter.

It is to be hoped that it is a burner issue absorption fridges never heard of one re gassed hermetically sealed units.

I note your location is also France recent weather, remember absorption fridges are less efficient in hot weather.

Channa

Just a couple of cautionary points;

Don't poke anything through the hole in the jewel, its way too small for most strands of wire.
Blow air through the orifice by taking the assembly out, don't try blowing from the orifice as you can dislodge the jewel or worse, blow it across the room never to be found again.

I've found that using brake cleaner is very effective at cleaning the gunk that builds up around the orifice. LPG is a "wet" gas and you end up with moisture at the orifice which then attracts dust particles and forms a cement like cover over the hole. It only needs the smallest amount of blockage for the gas flow to be reduced and whilst you get a flame, its usually yellow and cold in comparison to the blue flame that you need - remember school days and Bunsen burners.

My view is that burners are a regular annual service item.

We had a problem only weeks ago with our fridge. The gas was getting to the burner, but was not staying lit. It worked on EHU and when the engine was running. It was identified that part of the black box next to the burner had burnt out. The repair place took the box off the wall and you could see a small burned area behind. So that part was replaced and all working well now.

It is to be hoped that it is a burner issue absorption fridges never heard of one re gassed hermetically sealed units.

I note your location is also France recent weather, remember absorption fridges are less efficient in hot weather.

Channa

Thanks and yes we are in France but this started before we came out here and didn't have time to get it sorted. At present not a problem as we are at home and only have a few days traveling back to England next week.

Fridge

I have had it happen twice in two years. Disconnect the nut that houses the jet & give it a blow out the opposit way with a compressor as it only needs a small rust partical to slow the gass down.
Good luck

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back