Another Battery

You disconnected the battery and the alarm no longer works. If your insurance relies on a working alarm and you don't have one.. buggered.
You may not be asked if the starter battery is connected, but you'll be asked about the alarm for sure if if was a requirement.
And I would suggest that the same goes for a tracker, which may also be an insurance requirement. And easier to find out whether the tracker was operational because it should have triggered an alert to the monitoring centre in the event of movement without use of engine and should be trackable with or without use of engine, but only if it has a power supply.

And I would suggest that the same goes for a tracker, which may also be an insurance requirement. And easier to find out whether the tracker was operational because it should have triggered an alert to the monitoring centre in the event of movement without use of engine and should be trackable with or without use of engine, but only if it has a power supply.
Thing is, if the cab battery goes flat you lose the tracker/alarm anyway so does the battery going flat render your insurance invalid? Insurance company or anyone else for that matter won't be able to differentiate between a flat battery and No battery.
Are we saying "removing your cab battery is definitely a dreadful Idea for anyone to consider period ' or removing your cab battery will possibly screw you over in theoretical/exceptional circumstances if all the planets align so I personally wouldn't risk it myself?' All of the reasons against the idea seem to start off in the first category and slowly drift into the 2nd after further consideration.'
I've had my cab and hab batteries in die previously due to relying on solar to keep things topped up so I know from personal experience that I should have used an alternative method. FWIW I can't remember any issues with resetting the alarm/immobiliser/tracker when the replacement battery was installed, as far as I can recall they all just sprang back into life, I'd expect the same to happen if a thief happend to be carrying a spare battery or jump started my van and drove off because the tracker would have power and hence would be trackable.
If you're the type of person that thinks they will develop some sort of honesty Turrets syndrome when on the phone to your insurers and/or feel a need to give them a get out clause then removing your cab battery isn't for you. Personally I now use the mains to maintain the batteries but that's not an option for some.
I'll say it again, horses for courses, one size fits all doesn't exist. Do you own research, everything on here is basically people's own options.

A far simpler solution to storage is to fit two battery cut out switches. I fitted one under the driver seat on the negative side of the battery (the heavy duty knurled bolt type) and a boat type red detachable one on the side of the battery compartment. Park up, switch off leisure battery. With all doors closed, and sitting in drivers seat, remote lock, then unscrew vehicle battery switch. Lock drivers door with key on exit. So far 6 winters and never a problem!
I was told by my Physics Teacher 55 years ago not to take the subject at 'O' Level because 'I would be wasting the Examiner's time' and my understanding has not improved over the years! So your 'far simpler solution' seems anything but simpler to me; my AMT 12 Trickle Charger, linked to an ABB07 so that the SOC for both batteries is displayed on my phone is a 'fit and forget/don't worry' solution, and, to keep things really simple, I have a Manual Override switch, for Scottish Winters, enabling me to just flick a switch to make the Leisure Battery feed the Vehicle Battery for 9 seconds in every 10 to perk it up when needed. The only challenge is to remember where the switch is ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Took your time. I predicated this post days ago :)
c ball.jpg

Ok. Just a comment ... I am repeating myself but it doesn't seem to sink in ...

All these people with their "much simpler" solutions are totally missing the point. THEY ARE NOT SIMPLER.

To benefit from these simpler solutions proposed, you have to do one common thing.... REMEMBER TO USE THEM!
And remember to use them EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Please could someone explain how fitting something that you have to consiously remember to use EACH AND EVERY TIME - and then later reset/refit/remove/whatever EACH AND EVERY TIME is possibly simpler than something you fit the once and just let it get on with its own thing by itself?

I know I tend to complicate things sometimes, but you guys are unreal when it comes to your "do this, it's much simpler" solutions.
I hope you're not including me in this comment 🤣 I'm always on the 'simple' option although it ALWAYS takes me days to fit / wire up the simpler option. Here's my latest 'simpler solution'.... Replacing 4 x LA batts for 2x LiFePo4 🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_161843_185.jpg
    IMG_20240226_161843_185.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 26

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back