Another Battery

Herbenny

I’m sure last year I posted about our battery had gone flat so we purchased a new one. The same thing has happened this year it was left connected all winter and the alarm has obviously drained the battery again.
I can’t find the receipt but I’m sure I got a members discout code on here.
Can anyone help please

Making the assumption you have a leisure battery...
Some sort of 'battery maintainer' would be my first thought as it would keep the vehicle battery topped up from the leisure battery.
Solar would be useful to keep the leisure battery topped up and then in turn the vehicle battery.
Without those a battery being drained by an alarm/tracker will go flat.

Below is link to our discounts which has battery discounts amongst others.

Click Here

Hope that helps.

Out of interest are you looking for an FOC replacement as it's not old?

If so would they honour that given the circumstances as I bet many folks have been caught out like this?

I’m sure last year I posted about our battery had gone flat so we purchased a new one. The same thing has happened this year it was left connected all winter and the alarm has obviously drained the battery again.
I can’t find the receipt but I’m sure I got a members discout code on here.
Can anyone help please
For the future, as Tim says, get a Battery Maintainer. I have an Ablemail AMT12 fitted and use the Manual Option that forces the Leisure Battery to transfer current to the Vehicle Battery for 9 seconds in every 10 to ensure that the latter survives a Scottish Winter unscathed! I also went mad and had an Ablemail ABB07 fitted so that the state of charge for both batteries is shown on my phone when I'm within Bluetooth range. Two of the best pieces of kit I've bought for removing the angst of whether the batteries are still in the land of the living!

Steve

Out of interest are you looking for an FOC replacement as it's not old?

If so would they honour that given the circumstances as I bet many folks have been caught out like this?
If you let the battery go flat, why would a supplier replace the battery? It was not faulty, it was mistreated (doesn't matter if unknowingly or not).

Don't want to be unsympathetic, but your (the OP) battery went flat 2 years ago. You (OP) replaced it with a new one but did nothing to prevent the same thing happening again. A little foolish perhaps?

If you let the battery go flat, why would a supplier replace the battery? It was not faulty, it was mistreated (doesn't matter if unknowingly or not).

Don't want to be unsympathetic, but your (the OP) battery went flat 2 years ago. You (OP) replaced it with a new one but did nothing to prevent the same thing happening again. A little foolish perhaps?
Blimey 😂 consider me told off !!

We had a lot going on this winter including a long stay in hospital and I think my husband had other things on his mind and completely got side tracked rather than thinking about van and battery issues ..
I’ll make sure to give him a stern telling off 😂

Have you tried putting it on charge on a smart charger Jaq?

I did this on my daughter's VW T5 battery and it went through the reconditioning step and she got another year out of it.

Last edited:
Blimey 😂 consider me told off !!
It is easily done and while I may not have appeared sympathatic, I am really. :( (I replied from the point of view of a product supplier, which I am also, and being asked to cover costs of products in this kind of situation is just not viable).

We had a lot going on this winter including a long stay in hospital and I think my husband had other things on his mind and completely got side tracked rather than thinking about van and battery issues ..
I’ll make sure to give him a stern telling off 😂
This is why I am sometimes like a bit of a broken record when it comes to suggesting the fitment of starter battery maintainers. Yes, you can plug in a cable when you remember to (the Clive Mott solution Witzend goes on and on about), or take the battery inside and put it on a charger (a lot of work, but Trevskoda loves the extra work). Or you can just fit a Battery Maintainer and have done and not think about it any more.
Marchie has the AMT12-2 and he is in love with it. Tim120 also has the AMT12-2 and I think he likes it also. I use the AMT 12-2 in my van and the Starter battery never drops below around 12.4V.

Alpha batteries will ask you to return the battery so that they can test it to determine if it is faulty. They wont replace it on the basis it’s just gone flat. Ask me how I know this .😀
It would only be worth having them test it if you can take it there personally I would suggest? You have the courier cost there to pay only to be likely told knackered,and then you have no battery. At least if you kept hold you could get a few quid from a scrap metal merchant?

Have you tried putting it on charge on s smart charger Jaq?

I did this on my daughter's VW T5 battery and it went through the reconditioning step and she got another year out of it.
Worth a shot. My Leisure Batteries had had it when I got my new (to me) Motorhome. one could not be resurrected, but the other is kind of ok now. I wouldn't want to rely on it though as a starter! too risky, especially on a Ducato type motorhom with that sensitive Airbag ECU :(

Last edited:
Have you tried putting it on charge on s smart charger Jaq?

Tried it Rob .. 👍
Paul took it into work today, the man in charge of the garage said we might get lucky with a replacement .. no idea what they have planned I dare not ask 😅

no idea what they have planned I dare not ask 😅
Probably best not tell either when you find out :whistle:
My son has a couple of 115AH Leoch lead carbon batteries for sale, he bought them on my advice just over a year ago when there was talks of power cuts due to the Ukraine war. Power cuts never happened as we now know so he's never actually put a single cycle through them. He's just kept them fully topped up every few weeks or so. I'd expect them to be like new. He's looking for £95 each for them if you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested. Midlands area.

I have just visited my mechanic pal and we’ve serviced my car. Of interest he had a Yuasa battery on a bench that he fitted for a customer early last year. She’d had a new alternator and battery fitted and all was well. Then she recently said please come and start the car as the battery is flat. On checking it it was toast. Zero volts and wouldn’t accept any charge at all. It transpires she hasn’t driven the car in many months 3 or 4, but she has been out to it and started it up and let it run for 10 minutes every couple of weeks. Then turned it off again assuming that was sufficient. I know all that’s doing is slowly killing the battery, but how do you explain to someone that they need use to keep them alive and even short trips aren’t sufficient?

I have just visited my mechanic pal and we’ve serviced my car. Of interest he had a Yuasa battery on a bench that he fitted for a customer early last year. She’d had a new alternator and battery fitted and all was well. Then she recently said please come and start the car as the battery is flat. On checking it it was toast. Zero volts and wouldn’t accept any charge at all. It transpires she hasn’t driven the car in many months 3 or 4, but she has been out to it and started it up and let it run for 10 minutes every couple of weeks. Then turned it off again assuming that was sufficient. I know all that’s doing is slowly killing the battery, but how do you explain to someone that they need use to keep them alive and even short trips aren’t sufficient?
My RAV4.2 battery used to go flat after two weeks of non-use. Car still under initial warranty but Toyota not interested. Best solution far as they were concerned ... lock with the key instead of remote so alarm is not on!
In the end, I just replaced the battery on my Petrol model with the battery used on the Diesel version - 50% larger and made all the difference.

When I was away in Scandinavia last year for 10 weeks or so I was a bit concerned my car had been left and may not start, it did fortunately, but then I had fitted a new battery earlier in the year as the 5yo original was failing. Perhaps my inactivity over previous years when we were away in the MH helped it on its way?

What I will be doing this year is to link it to one of my motorbikes battery maintainer to keep it topped up from what the alarm uses.

My new MH has the leisure batteries linked to the starter battery with a battery master, and I can see it works looking at my Hymer app showing it is always approx 12.9/13v
IMG_9632.png

Tim120 also has the AMT12-2 and I think he likes it also.
Indeed I do David. Fair to say best bit of kit I have bought for the van, well, a close second to the corkscrew. My tracker, amongst other things, tells me the vehicle battery voltage and prior to fitting the AMT12-2 when it showed 12.4 I would take the van for a run of roughly 90 miles (Brighton and back) which served two purposes, exercise the van and charge the battery. Since fitting the AMT12-2 the vehicle battery has never dropped below 12.4v and is normally 12.5v occasionally rising to 12.6v. I do have about 340W of solar and a 460ah leisure battery with a victron 100/30 MPPT controller, I have no idea what any of that means other than I no longer concern myself about the vehicle battery.

Indeed I do David. Fair to say best bit of kit I have bought for the van, well, a close second to the corkscrew. My tracker, amongst other things, tells me the vehicle battery voltage and prior to fitting the AMT12-2 when it showed 12.4 I would take the van for a run of roughly 90 miles (Brighton and back) which served two purposes, exercise the van and charge the battery. Since fitting the AMT12-2 the vehicle battery has never dropped below 12.4v and is normally 12.5v occasionally rising to 12.6v. I do have about 340W of solar and a 460ah leisure battery with a victron 100/30 MPPT controller, I have no idea what any of that means other than I no longer concern myself about the vehicle battery.
Mine hits 14.4 before dropping to float at 13.6, if charger goes of it will drop to 12.7v which is about right for a healthy battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back