Amblside

I strongly suspect the video could have been filmed during a special event or rally or something. I seem to remember Graham saying that numbers were limited, which is why he directed us to the overflow bit... which by the way is the long section shown in the video with all the motorhomes in a long line. We were just 3 vans in there and the newer aire/CL was fairly sparse, even though technically full. Nothing like the numbers shown in the film. We actually contemplated asking if we could hold a meet in the old section - it was such a good spot. Oh well, never mind.

I understand that BUT you have to admit that it wouldn't take too many "special events" to cause issues with locals...
It's often hard enough to obtain planning within national park areas for proper sites let alone some sort of impromptu 'aire' ....
I don't doubt for a second it's a nice spot BUT as soon as it became/becomes popular then the problems are going to start,sadly it's the way of the world by the looks of things.

I understand that BUT you have to admit that it wouldn't take too many "special events" to cause issues with locals...
It's often hard enough to obtain planning within national park areas for proper sites let alone some sort of impromptu 'aire' ....
I don't doubt for a second it's a nice spot BUT as soon as it became/becomes popular then the problems are going to start,sadly it's the way of the world by the looks of things.

Never ceases to amaze me why anybody thinks its a good idea to hold 'meets' etc in sensitive areas

I can only stress that when you're actually there, you can't really see the motorhomes except from within the town car park because of trees, etc... it's hardly a depressing sight or a blot on the landscape for the people of Ambleside town. It's already an urban car park... lots of traffic, so not a highly sensitive spot, plus there's a cemetery running alongside the old original site. The video was shot from the air and from the open country, rather than from the town, so it gives a very distorted view of the impact the MHs would have on the town side. As I said, there must have been a special event or rally going on when the film was shot because my understanding is that the old site was no longer in regular use and that the new one was limited in numbers. It's also bizarre that the big car park is completely empty in the film... it was heaving when we were there. I appreciate that hill-walkers would be able to see the vans and might consider them unsightly but that goes for every camping and caravan park in the land, many in beautiful areas.

Look I'm not saying the aire/CL should or shouldn't be there... I'm just pointing out that the film gives a vastly different impression than when you're actually on the spot. It was a great base to explore Ambleside and the area, so I'm sorry to see it go.

We decided not to pursue finding a spot in Ambleside as there were ongoing roadworks and it was quite busy, so we just drove through and on to Great Landale. We stayed on the NT campsite which suited us perfectly, quiet, cheap, views to die for, walks in every direction and a walkers bar at the hotel up the road. Many thanks to those who private messaged me, some great info to check out in the future, much appreciated.

Yvonne

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back