Amazon Prime Scam

iandsm

Had a phone call today, a female recorded voice with an American accent claiming to be from Amazon Prime telling me my account would be debited shortly with £39, press 1 to speak to a manager. I don't owe them anything but I didn't press 1. The number called was 01591 553107.

I enquired with Amazon and they say the call dod not originate from them and in any case they do not make calls to customers to advise of upcoming charges.

No doubt, had I pressed 1 I would have been connected to a helpful manager who could assist me further once I has passed security checks by giving my full name, postcode, date of birth, bank account number and sort code, mother maiden name etc.

So if you do get a call like this out of the blue........ignore it.

Sadly there is a wicked world out there.

Only today received a text purporting to be from my mobile provider informing me that my direct debit payment for the month had failed. Highly improbable. Services would be cut off, click on this link and do goodness knows what.. Obviously I did not.

Both the bank, and the mobile operator were well aware of these goings-on. First question was "did you click on the link ?" I am not that stupid.

Then, do you use social media? No, not really just a few forums where I like to be as private as possible.

Now that mobile number is known only to close family and a very few highly secure business contacts. I chatted about this with the bank and the network, all they could say was that perhaps it had been sent out randomly hoping to get a response. Nevertheless my bank is now on high alert for any more funny business.

Sadly there is a wicked world out there.

Only today received a text purporting to be from my mobile provider informing me that my direct debit payment for the month had failed. Highly improbable. Services would be cut off, click on this link and do goodness knows what.. Obviously I did not.

Both the bank, and the mobile operator were well aware of these goings-on. First question was "did you click on the link ?" I am not that stupid.

Then, do you use social media? No, not really just a few forums where I like to be as private as possible.

Now that mobile number is known only to close family and a very few highly secure business contacts. I chatted about this with the bank and the network, all they could say was that perhaps it had been sent out randomly hoping to get a response. Nevertheless my bank is now on high alert for any more funny business.
If you have used windows or android on a smart ph then the whole world has all you details,even if you send with a secure sys like linux on pc or sailfish on s ph some sod at the other end will give it away,almost impos to hide these days,press one and you get charged a lot of money from ph provider.

I watch the Malcolm Merlyn YouTube videos. Year or so back they hacked into an Indian call centre computer system and used it to dial the Vatican for a prayer. It only cost $10 a minute so they just left the line open. It's rather nice seeing the spammers getting caught.

Agreed, i`ve also been with them for years and it hasn`t made the slightest difference, TPS is a waste of time :mad:
The problem with it is they can only control legal phone sales canvassing and calls eminating from the UK. Any calls bounced via the internet with what appears to be a UK number escapes them. It's so easy to purchase a UK number on Skype , I had a central London number via Skype for many years when I worked as an Industrial Sales agent as it kept my running costs under control for calls abroad.

If you use a secure sys and incription on home folder,privicy badger,adblock etc then you will not get to many as they target windows users more,the odd one has tried here and gave up.
I would have thought the scammers would have a back up pc to carry on working. :unsure:

Like others, I registered with TPS and nuisance calls still came through.

When we moved to East Sussex the screen on our landline handset failed so we bought a set of new ones. They came with a free system called "Call Guardian" that suggested it could stop up to 100% of all calls.

It worked and for the last five years not one nuisance call has come through. Very happy with a free system that really works for us.

Rightly or wrongly I enjoy playing games with these kind of calls. With the ones that want to take you through 'security checks' make something up. Third and fourth letter of your password. ZA simple. If they say thats fine sir everything has been cleared then you know it's a scam and treat them accordingly. If you fail security checks then possibly (but not always) its legit.

I especially enjoy the ones 'I hear you've just had an accident sir'. I really do go to town on them. Spinning a long winded story of how I was out with my sisters boyfriends brothers girlfriend and really I didnt want my girlfriend to find out so I asked my uncle's best friends wife to cover for me and ................. etc. then get round to the accident!! Well, it's like this....... I trapped my ?">?£> in my zip as I tried to pull my trousers up quickly because Sarah was looking. So, who's Sarah? Didnt you listen!! She's the girlfriend of my uncles friend!! etc etc. Keep it going until they put the phone down!!

Ha ha did the same here and kept them hanging on as they tried to find out which version of windows i was using,in the end i said its linux to which they hung up after a few s/words.

Some time ago I got a phone call from an Indian lady who was going to sell me a new phone which would send my street cred through the roof, I think I was 81 at the time, after 35 minutes on the phone which also included time with her suporvisor, I managed to find where they went on holiday and all about their families,it was sad realy as the suporvisor severed the connection as he recond I was wasting their time.
I never got the phone 😭
Got told off by Marjorie for wasting time, I enjoyed it, I don't mind wasting their time they waste plenty of mine answering false calls.

Well these scammers must occasionally make a strike. I'd like to think that we are all worldly wise but that's just not so.

If I do get a call that sounds legit. such as you haven't paid your gas bill on time, I ask them to prove to me who they are and answer my security questions, not give them mine. The legit ones are OK with that and usually set up to do so.

Well these scammers must occasionally make a strike. I'd like to think that we are all worldly wise but that's just not so.

If I do get a call that sounds legit. such as you haven't paid your gas bill on time, I ask them to prove to me who they are and answer my security questions, not give them mine. The legit ones are OK with that and usually set up to do so.
Never do that,hang up and call the co direct .

If you have used windows or android on a smart ph then the whole world has all you details,even if you send with a secure sys like linux on pc or sailfish on s ph some sod at the other end will give it away,almost impos to hide these days,press one and you get charged a lot of money from ph provider.
thanks, p.s. i did no ,but it is still good to see, t.t.f.n ok.pj.

There are lots of reports of people being conned out of thousands by these scams, but they must be gullible

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back