Am I protected

Micky

Good morning to every one,sitting on my bed the wife wants me to go down to the shop to get her some breakfast but its pouring down with rain here in Somerset and I am made of sugar,so will go later.anyway help info required about illegals ect gazing us when we head over the 8th June.We had vehicle checked over a couple of weeks ago,then one week ago developed a gas leak,the smell got worst and even worse than that,took vehicle back,gas tested leak found and repaired.?if we have the two types of detectors in our new vehicle which the motorhome repairer said would indicate gas etc how come they did not/both tested working,I did not bother to disagree with the engineer,does anyone now of a unit other than a candle that will warn us before we get robbed or gased.hope I explained myself OK micky

Micky, just go and enjoy yourself, you will find that it's a yearly myth.

Just use your sharp sense of common and all will be fine.

You cannot get gassed into unconsciousness in your van by robbers, it is a myth. It is insurance scams or by people who cannot understand how they slept through the robbery. I feel like a parrot, this is the second time this week I have posted the statement below:sleep-040:

A statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists about Motorhome owners being gassed then robbed.

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth. It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use. The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used. If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

Just get out there & enjoy yourself.

thanks for the info but

My other question is the gas leak got so bad that I had to stop and get out of the vehicle to get more air in my lungs the windows open did nothing to help,what I should have done was turned the bottles off but because the leak was there then gone then there then gone I could not fine it so took it to a repairer?why do my alarms not go off to alarm re gas present,do I need some other device,the repairers stated they do but they did not?

is your gas leak detector situated low on a wall as it should be ?
and yes,if you smell gas, turn the gas off immediately !don't turn on any lights or anything electrical and get out of the van till the smell has dissipated- don't hesitate even if it's chucking it down !
your best gas detector is your nose, you should trust it more than a gadget

just occurred to me - what sort of gas detector have you got ? Smoke and LPG Gas Detectors For Sale at Southdowns Motorhome Centre Online Store

Last edited:
Correct location of gas detectors is paramount. In the case of monoxided dtectors notoriously difficult to locate effectively in campers .should be so far away from roofs etc etc.

You used the best detector your nose.!!! LPG gas is odourless, so the companies add a stenchingagent which you often smell when changing a bottle and can linger..

Channa

My understanding of gas detectors is that they detect the products of BURNT gas ie Carbon mon oxide or Carbon di oxide NOT un burnt LPG straight from the system, so your detectors are not for that use , as stated the stench agent in LPG gas is what you smell and your nose is best for that.

Correct location of gas detectors is paramount. In the case of monoxided dtectors notoriously difficult to locate effectively in campers .should be so far away from roofs etc etc.

You used the best detector your nose.!!! LPG gas is odourless, so the companies add a stenchingagent which you often smell when changing a bottle and can linger..

Channa

a stenching agent,so thats what hienz put in there beens and that would account for gasing in vans.:scared:

My understanding of gas detectors is that they detect the products of BURNT gas ie Carbon mon oxide or Carbon di oxide NOT un burnt LPG straight from the system, so your detectors are not for that use , as stated the stench agent in LPG gas is what you smell and your nose is best for that.

You can get detectors for unburnt gas as in the wand type detectors British Gas use, to name but one. The nose is the best detector but it doesn't harm you to have a back up if you are at all unsure or you have a poor sense of smell, say from a cold.

My other question is the gas leak got so bad that I had to stop and get out of the vehicle to get more air in my lungs the windows open did nothing to help,what I should have done was turned the bottles off but because the leak was there then gone then there then gone I could not fine it so took it to a repairer?why do my alarms not go off to alarm re gas present,do I need some other device,the repairers stated they do but they did not?

I suggest you contact Gaslow regarding their "Gaslow adaptor gauge" and have one fitted.

This will allow you to pressure test your system before each trip and give you peace of mind.

If an item was sold as an LPG alarm and it failed to detect unburnt gas, it would be in breach of the
  1. Sale of Goods Act 1979 which says that goods must be fit for any specific purpose
  2. Trade Descriptions Act 1968

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back