Am I Daft???

Freaky Konnie

Today me and my nipper knocked a wall down that is about 10 foot above our garden level where I park the Kon-tiki. The reason I knocked it down was so I could reverse it back so the rear end over hung the wall and gave me more space at the front to put my work van in. It worked a treat and did the job. The reason I think you may think I am daft is that now the rear end over hangs the wall I can see there is what looks like two jacks (one either side) under the back corners, any idea what these are for? I would never have found the unless I had reason to get underneath!! This is what happens when you buy a vehicle that hasn't got a manual. Anyone help?

Today me and my nipper knocked a wall down that is about 10 foot above our garden level where I park the Kon-tiki. The reason I knocked it down was so I could reverse it back so the rear end over hung the wall and gave me more space at the front to put my work van in. It worked a treat and did the job. The reason I think you may think I am daft is that now the rear end over hangs the wall I can see there is what looks like two jacks (one either side) under the back corners, any idea what these are for? I would never have found the unless I had reason to get underneath!! This is what happens when you buy a vehicle that hasn't got a manual. Anyone help?

Don't you just jack them down to act as corner steadies i.e. stabilisers for when you are parked up?

Don't you just jack them down to act as corner steadies i.e. stabilisers for when you are parked up?

I dont know mucka, is that the usual practice? I'm new to this game (motor homes) We have got a VW camper so not new to the "campin'" side..:)

Jacks

today me and my nipper knocked a wall down that is about 10 foot above our garden level where i park the kon-tiki. The reason i knocked it down was so i could reverse it back so the rear end over hung the wall and gave me more space at the front to put my work van in. It worked a treat and did the job. The reason i think you may think i am daft is that now the rear end over hangs the wall i can see there is what looks like two jacks (one either side) under the back corners, any idea what these are for? I would never have found the unless i had reason to get underneath!! This is what happens when you buy a vehicle that hasn't got a manual. Anyone help?

:)hi freaky konnie.yes bigal is right it sounds like corner steadies to stop rock & roll while parked up there should be a bar some where to jack them up . Happy camping

Thanks for your prompt replies I will give them a good greasing and look for the handle..:)

You might also want to find a couple of pieces of wood to go under them on soft ground, or on asphalt when it is really warm!! I use a couple of pieces of scaffold plank about 16 inches long. Also, don't be tempted to try and jack the wheels off the ground with them, they are not strong enough for that. They are good to use for when there is cooking being done!!

You might also want to find a couple of pieces of wood to go under them on soft ground, or on asphalt when it is really warm!! I use a couple of pieces of scaffold plank about 16 inches long. Also, don't be tempted to try and jack the wheels off the ground with them, they are not strong enough for that. They are good to use for when there is cooking being done!!
Thanks for that Norris , planks no probs, I'm a builder;)

I've got them on my Hobby. Tried them but without any stabilisers on the front, the back ones don't seem to make enough difference to be worth the bother of putting them down

Kontiki Sreadies

Hi there !

Yes - the others are correct. They are corner steadies .... and very helpful. Make a great deal of difference when you are parked up somewhere. Definitely place a solid (minimum 25mm thick) block of wood under each. Handle will look something like a long car jack. Look at the rear of the 'van and at bottom left and bottom right you should see 25cm diameter round holes. Insert handle in and turn just like a car jack .... it has to pass through an interior hole which is a bit fiddly especially on a rainy day lying on wet grass ! Have fun.

Incidentally I have an H reg (1991) Kontiki. Excellent vehicle !

Steve Reeve

Last edited:
Also, and I'm not challenging your intelligence here, I've read somewhere that its a good idea to put the jackhandle over your steering wheel to remind/prevent you from driving off with the steadies down which apparently can/has happened.:cool:

Hey Konnie,
Now you've got a steady van, you could go and sell teas next to the dinky lighthouse at the Point! or just outside Jezzas place!!!!

Also, and I'm not challenging your intelligence here, I've read somewhere that its a good idea to put the jackhandle over your steering wheel to remind/prevent you from driving off with the steadies down which apparently can/has happened.:cool:

Good point - last week I tried driving off with the steadies down. Fortunately on a farmer's field and did not get far before the penny dropped. Should have read my 'pre-flight' check list !

if you cannot find the handle ,try using a socket and an extention in a rechargable drill ,a lot easier than winding up and down manualy .ps how did you go on with the brake probs

Thread: Am I Daft???

In some ways, all of us our daft. Which is why we tend to help each other out. Read all my threads and you won't find a dafter person than ME.

if you cannot find the handle ,try using a socket and an extention in a rechargable drill ,a lot easier than winding up and down manualy .ps how did you go on with the brake probs

Hi mandrake, I was going to check out the pipe to my pump and see if there were any leaks before I condemed the pump, but yesterday I knocked the wall down to move the van back and today I cleaned all the muck and rust spots out from underneath the windscreen rubber and put some metal paint (that my mate uses to coat metal water tanks, sets like granite.) under the rubber and around the screen. Was going to sand blast the inside of the bonnet but my mate and his missus turned up so ended up down the house talkin to them. Might go back up after lunch and do a bit more, and have a look at that pipe. But it's bloody freezin' out there and I've got me self warmed up now!!!! My nipper was messin' about with them jacks and he tells me they need a 19mm' socket .. I actually thought of using a drill to undo them and tighten them up.(Great minds eh?;) )Thats a good idea bigal to put the handle over the steering wheel , as I know I would forget about them and drive off....:eek:hi gongoozler it's a long way from our house to that "dinkey" light house and "jezzas" pad it's at least 15 miles!!! ;)

corner steadys

hi bigal. your right i read that also i use a cordless drill with extension and leave resting on my peddles because i tryed to drive off once with them down with all the site watching having a good laugh wont do that again. happy camping

Thing is if you do actually use them when parked DONT FORGET to wind them up before driving off ;)

We put the winding handle through the steering wheel so there is no way we can drive off to a disaster.

There you are "flower3bird" Great minds and all that;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back