Alternator upgrade to help charge habitation batteries?

Malcdhill

I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has upgraded their alternator on a Fiat 2.3 engine. We have two Lithium 105 habitation batteries as standard.
We are looking at touring the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, mostly off grid. We have 2 x 120 solar panels, but found last year stopping 5 days in Traigh in spring (heavily Leaden sky’s and rain) we ran out of power. Running the van’s engine for half an hour regularly (so not to annoy other people) it didn’t put any charge in the batteries. I spoke to my friendly local garage who explained that a standard alternator is big enough to charge the drive battery whilst driving, but standard factory fitted doesn’t have enough surplus to charge the habitation battery quickly as it was never part of the original vehicle specification (in fairness he didn’t look at the the current alternator, this was just a conversation). He believed that the current alternator would be around 90Amp - 120Amp (ish)?? The suggestion was a far larger alternator which would give better (faster) charging of both the engine and habitation batteries when traveling.
The question is has anyone tried this and has it been effective? If so, what size did you upgrade to for this engine size. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with the alt, but i must warn you letting an engine run of load will make it a heavey oil burner.
My iveco is 90ah and charges 3 90amp lead acids no bother along with 200w solar.
Maybe you have a smart alt and a factory charge sys which i detest as they cut the charge rate, secont you could double the battery to 200ah as to match the solar output, do look at charger unit as may be set up weong or a fuse blown, wildbus is the chap you want to talk to about charging sys.

I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has upgraded their alternator on a Fiat 2.3 engine. We have two Lithium 105 habitation batteries as standard.
We are looking at touring the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, mostly off grid. We have 2 x 120 solar panels, but found last year stopping 5 days in Traigh in spring (heavily Leaden sky’s and rain) we ran out of power. Running the van’s engine for half an hour regularly (so not to annoy other people) it didn’t put any charge in the batteries. I spoke to my friendly local garage who explained that a standard alternator is big enough to charge the drive battery whilst driving, but standard factory fitted doesn’t have enough surplus to charge the habitation battery quickly as it was never part of the original vehicle specification (in fairness he didn’t look at the the current alternator, this was just a conversation). He believed that the current alternator would be around 90Amp - 120Amp (ish)?? The suggestion was a far larger alternator which would give better (faster) charging of both the engine and habitation batteries when traveling.
The question is has anyone tried this and has it been effective? If so, what size did you upgrade to for this engine size. Thank you.
What type of solar charger do you have, in the warmer months even if it’s raining my batteries are fully charged from two 120w panels. Is your solar set up for lithium. I agree with Trev, Wildebus is your man, but something ain’t right here, and I don’t think it’s your alternator.

Its best to have a stand alone solar regulator charging both hab and starter battery, i like this unit which has switches for all types of battery, make sure yours is wired direct and not through a factory panel, and is it a mppt type and not a pwm old school.
votronic regulator.png

The wiring from the Solar panels to the batteries is currently through the Elektroblock, but this is being changed in February to a stand alone Voltronic mppt unit by my local Motorhome service center. They (A&E Leisur) checked the current set up and and said it was working well? I hope the alteration to the controller will help.
Just to check, any estimate on how much difference would it make to the mpg? Thanks 😊

What year is van? Does it have a smart alternator and B2B charger?

The van is a 2014 model B534 on a standard Fiat 2.3td chassis. I am not sure, it’s not showing in the handbook as it’s showing that everything electrical goes through the elektroblock system. Is there an easy way to check?

Attachments

• C86427A7-B6CB-446A-B52E-3B4BCA2BE900.jpeg
    C86427A7-B6CB-446A-B52E-3B4BCA2BE900.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 44
If the charging only goes through the Electroblok then that will be your limiting factor, you don't say which model, but typically they only output 18amp, so fitting a larger alternator will make no differance.

The block is an EBL 29 but I appreciate the output won’t change so I will be interested in the change in February when it goes through the mppt controller only. Thanks 😊

The van is a 2014 model B534 on a standard Fiat 2.3td chassis. I am not sure, it’s not showing in the handbook as it’s showing that everything electrical goes through the elektroblock system. Is there an easy way to check?
My alt goes to the batteries full pelt, dont like electroblock all in one, much rather have sep units so if one goes down an easy find to sort.
electrics .jpg

Thanks to you all for the good advice. I will have a look at the solar controller (hopefully being sorted out in February) and see if I can have the alternator charge the batteries directly. Again, thank you all.

I would suggest a BtoB charger Such as a Sterling 1230 or a Votronic other makes available I have a 2 year old VW T6.1 Transporter fitted with a smart alternator, and I have had installed the Sterling model which as a lithium setting.

John.

Last edited:
I know some do but I wouldn’t run an alternator to charge Lifepo4 battery’s, do it properly and fit a B2B so it gets proper controlled charge. Unless you can get a lot of tilting solar on your van it’s as much use as a chocolate fireguard in winter in the U.K. if you aren’t going on sites far better to get a small generator and just use it to top the battery’s up with a mains charger every couple of days.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back