Alcohol and Motorhomes

Toffeecat

Looking at the photos, I think most on here like a beer or ten. Browsing YouTube I came across this video. Its a serious point but I really think many folk get very paranoid about this,. Police marching onto camp sites and breathalising everyone. Really? So.….whats your views? Parked up doing a spot of wildling, would you have a good swill of ale? Do you avoid it completely? What do you do if you like a beer, hide the keys? I guess its more of an issue wildling rather than campsites. Serious issue but ive never ever known anyone getting pulled for this. I always have the blinds on, wheel lock, steering lock and not on public highway.

This has been done to death,here we go,many moons back i had a uncle done for being in charge of a motor vech which was parked in a side street well away from the bar he came out of,with keys in his pocket.
If you dont have the keys then no charge as cannot prove intent or in charge of,this also includes parked outside your home.
So to be fair i dont listen to folk how say it will not stand in court or will never happen or rubbish,we had the t shirt in this home.

If you are sat in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition on a public road then they have a case, if you are in the back keys in a drawer blinds closed etc then they would have great difficulty in trying to prove that you were intending to drive,
And if you are really worried about it then don’t have a drink.

This (in my opinion) is one of these urban myth things. Yes, by the letter of the law you 'could' be prosecuted, but other than, I know it's true because my mates brother's wife's cousin was once arrested for this!! Has anyone got FIRST HAND experiance of this??

I agree it's a problem proving intent if you are sat in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition, but come on, can you honestly see a police officer knocking on your van door, you open the door in your flanilette nightie (other nightware is available) obviously having just got out of a nice warm bed, the officer then says 'I'm arresting you for being drunk in charge of a vehicle'?. It's just not worth their time and effort.

This (in my opinion) is one of these urban myth things. Yes, by the letter of the law you 'could' be prosecuted, but other than, I know it's true because my mates brother's wife's cousin was once arrested for this!! Has anyone got FIRST HAND experiance of this??

I agree it's a problem proving intent if you are sat in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition, but come on, can you honestly see a police officer knocking on your van door, you open the door in your flanilette nightie (other nightware is available) obviously having just got out of a nice warm bed, the officer then says 'I'm arresting you for being drunk in charge of a vehicle'?. It's just not worth their time and effort.
Not so here,they will go out of there way to get you if there is a sniff of booze.i would not go near a van/car within 24 hrs of a bear or have it on the street or keys in pocket,cops must be soft on mainland,here its like the gistapo.

A few years back I was visited by a couple of Traffic Policemen who needed a statement about a fatal accident I had witnessed. One of them was a surfer who used a motorhome and regularly parked up semi wild with friends. Over tea I asked him about drinking and parking up over night. He said the intent was a grey area and most policemen avoided the complication. However, he also pointed out that if you are wilding alone you need to be prepared to move on at short notice and need to be fit to drive at anytime. They also made the point that people often do not leave enough time to get all the alcohol out of their system. A particularly important factor in Scotland which is not only Wilding Heaven but has much lower alcohol limits. Some of my Scottish friends avoid alcohol altogether the night before moving on because of this.

There is a very simple solution that I mentioned several years ago.

When we were running our chartered accountancy buisness it made more sense for our only mode of transport
to be registered in the accountants name, her indoors, for tax relief purposes.

Madam also happens to be teetotal, problem solved.

I can get as hineb, inhebre inbreha, have a few drinks with no trouble.

As myAmericanbrotherinlaw aptly put it - no keys, no responsibility.

Dezi 🥃

Good point about lower Scotland limits and the morning after.

They have the same much lower limit as France for example, who are red-hot on testing people. Roadblocks and testers out on Summer Sunday afternoons to check people coming back from the traditional long boozy lunches. Even if after self-testing themselves with the compulsory two breathalysers that all must carry, along with their Gilets Jaunes.

Personally I have zero tolerance for these old fashioned attitudes, neither do the Scandinavians. But still enjoy a drink or two, no more, where appropriate, safe, and not doing it late or moving on before it has probably all cleared. Perhaps I am a hypocrite. But I've also lost a family member who was under the influence, thankfully no one else hurt.

A few years back I was visited by a couple of Traffic Policemen who needed a statement about a fatal accident I had witnessed. One of them was a surfer who used a motorhome and regularly parked up semi wild with friends. Over tea I asked him about drinking and parking up over night. He said the intent was a grey area and most policemen avoided the complication. However, he also pointed out that if you are wilding alone you need to be prepared to move on at short notice and need to be fit to drive at anytime. They also made the point that people often do not leave enough time to get all the alcohol out of their system. A particularly important factor in Scotland which is not only Wilding Heaven but has much lower alcohol limits. Some of my Scottish friends avoid alcohol altogether the night before moving on because of this.

The Scottish limits are only just over half those in other parts of the UK. Certainly many drivers prove to be over that level the morning after drinking and it being so low it is possibly best not to drink at all in Scotland if planning to drive the next day.

Stayed overnight wild in North Wales New Years eve, Made sure I only had 2 cans when the fireworks were going off for this very reason.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back