Alarm

izwozral

Called at my local fire station this afternoon for advice on fitting a low sensitive smoke alarm in the MH. The fire officer told me that there is no such thing as 'low sensitive alarms' and the standard alarms would most likely go off too often if the MH is prone to condensation or if I was a toast burner.
He then told me that, I would woken up by the smoke anyway and in his estimation it wouldn't be worth fitting an alarm. Hmmm.

Double hmmm!?

I find it strange that he said the smoke would wake you I think it would prob kill you we have a standard smoke alarm fitted and it seems to work fine only once was it a bit of a pain small price to pay for assurance

I have a carbon monoxide alarm and a smoke alarm fitted, never had a problem with either and both are working fine, I would not risk being without either of them, oh I've also got a powder fire extinguisher (in date) I really hope I ever need to use it but a necessary item anyway. Haven't got a fire blanket because I felt that I won't use it but now I think about it if the worst happens I could use it to smother flames.
Just my take on it

Took the batteries out of our smoke alarm. We're not toast burners but we do cook 😏

Pat

I'm sure OH read somewhere about powder fire extinguishers if you have trouble with your chest/ breathing or both which OH does they advise getting a foam one because if you did use the powder one in second you would have trouble seeing and also breathing so we are going to get a foam one.

Got a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm fitted. No major issues with either occasionally the smoke alarm will go off when cooking, but we stick it out of the way until we are done. We had had the CO alarm go off when travelling last spring just a couple of times on the motorway, I can only assume there was exhaust fumes coming in the vent below. These are both minor conveniences compared to not having one and the worst happening. Consider in a MH you probably only have one door and there is no much room so time really is of the essence, very surprised by what the fireman said.

Must admit, I was surprised at the information I was given, I am going to fit one anyway and tuck it around a corner. Fortunately, we have a large rear window, the same level as the bed which is a means of escape, plus hab door to centre as well as the two doors to cab.

Interesting about dry powder vs breathing problems, hadn't considered that - another hmmm!

I have a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm, I don't feel safe unless I have the latter.
I'm surprised a fire officer advised against fitting a smoke alarm.

Powder fire extinguishers

Also powder fire extinguishers are a strong laxative :rolleyes2:

My van came fitted with 3 alarms, smoke, carbon monoxide and LPG. I personally think they are a good idea, a lot of vehicle fires are caused by the electrics, you only find out when it goes up in smoke...
Stay safe. :)

Right lets deal with smoke alarms first, yes there are extra low sensitive smoke alarms, I used to have one many years ago and as far as I'm aware they are still available, mine came from US, BUT I would say they are a waste of time in a van. This leads to the question as to whether a smoke alarm of any type is of use in a van, I have one and why not they are cheap and if sensibly fitted will not go off unnecessarily, they can go off with excessive cold and damp, I take the batteries out when not using the van in winter. One of the main functions of a smoke alarm is to wake up a household when smoke (and fire) is detected in a room or floor not occupied, this will only apply to a few vans.
Next CO alarms, I've posted before that my life was probably saved by a CO alarm, so you might think I had been shut in some stuffy room, you could not be more wrong, I was in a house that had EVERY door and window open and yet the CO levels rose to dangerous levels. My friend died in a van due to CO, he fell asleep with the hob on and I was the person who found him the next day, the odds of that happening are fairly low same as the heating or fridge going wrong and CO getting in the van, but it happens, once again the cost of an alarm is not much.

Last edited:
Smoke alarm with hush Feature

Called at my local fire station this afternoon for advice on fitting a low sensitive smoke alarm in the MH. The fire officer told me that there is no such thing as 'low sensitive alarms' and the standard alarms would most likely go off too often if the MH is prone to condensation or if I was a toast burner.
He then told me that, I would woken up by the smoke anyway and in his estimation it wouldn't be worth fitting an alarm. Hmmm.

Double hmmm!?

I suggest you look at " Ei Electronics Battery Smoke Alarm with test and silence function". When cooking press the hush button and alarm silences for 8 minutes then automatically re-arms.

Amazon£10.10

I've had one for years, works fantastic

Just seen in Go Outdoors "Crusader" Smoke Alarm similar with Silence button for £7.97

Brian

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back