aire close to calais...

herecomesbod

Free Member
hiya.. we are off for four weeks on wednesday, but needing an aire about half an hour down from calais en route to larochelle, avoiding tolls, looking at boulogne sur mer sort of area? free if possible!!! thanks in advance!

cos we want to start our journey as soon as we get out of the tunnel, dont particularly like large towns, so want to head away!!

Use the coast road to Wissant. D940. 50.88682N; 1.67027E

Last edited:
We parked up overnight at Wissant also...at both ends of our journey. It's lovely and quiet and you can park along the river.

I would also recommend Wissant. Used the aire there 3 times last year on our trips to / from France.

B

I too would recommend Wissant but if you want to push on further before stopping, there is an excellent aire in the village of Cleres, about 120 miles from Calais and definitely in the right direction. For details of this and other possibilities look up CAMPINGCAR-INFOS Have a good trip.

Put 50.637296,1.579088 into your Google Maps. The town is called Hardelot-Plage.

It's actually a bit south of Boulogne (but easily do-able from Calais) If you want a nice little free stopover just by the sea this is perfect. We've used it quite a few times, never had any problems. Go for a swim before breakfast - lovely. :boat::boat:

There is an Aire at Aquihen Plage which is just south of Boulogne. Its not free but if you park in the overflow at the bottom end, you can watch the Para gliders taking off and landing feet in front of you. Scary to begin with but they are very good. Its on Rue de Beurre Fondu, just off village square.

Richard

Spent the first night this trip at the Auchan on the outskirts of Boulogne, got fuel, gas, cash, stocked up with food, emptied toilet & waste. Then spent 2 days at Stella Plage N50.47684 ° E 1.5774 ° was only intending staying overnight but weather was so good we stayed longer. When we have been before we have had the place to ourselves but this time it was full to capacity. Strange as the plae was always like a ghost town when we passed through as it was out of season, seeing it full of life with the car parks bursting was strange.

Then spent 2 days at Stella Plage N50.47684 ° E 1.5774 ° was only intending staying overnight but weather was so good we stayed longer. When we have been before we have had the place to ourselves but this time it was full to capacity. Strange as the plae was always like a ghost town when we passed through as it was out of season, seeing it full of life with the car parks bursting was strange.

Streetview shows a sign at that location prohibiting parking for 'camping cars'. Has that been removed?

The location I put was probably for where you used to be able to park, about 50 - 100 metres down the same road towards the campsite which is a dead end there are bays marked (about 20) with a sign for motohome parking (might have a pic on my phone). The bays are wide enough & I could just fit my 7.4 van in without siticking over the line. There are high sand dunes along the road & kids were having a great time sledging down them. I think there is a borne in the campsite.

Think this link show the sign in street view https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=N5...=eQen1d8D9946qUSiOwfpQg&cbp=12,169.76,,0,6.57

Last edited:
Try Bergues or Hondschoote, both good for first or last night.

Hondschoote is signed in town, near the windmill. There is a paying service point with parking in a quiet cu de sac.

Bergues is also signed, near the sports area. no facilities, but plenty of space even for large motorhomes.

Both are near to small towns,

The location I put was probably for where you used to be able to park, about 50 - 100 metres down the same road towards the campsite which is a dead end there are bays marked (about 20) with a sign for motohome parking (might have a pic on my phone). The bays are wide enough & I could just fit my 7.4 van in without siticking over the line. There are high sand dunes along the road & kids were having a great time sledging down them. I think there is a borne in the campsite.

Think this link show the sign in street view https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=N5...=eQen1d8D9946qUSiOwfpQg&cbp=12,169.76,,0,6.57

Problem solved - thanks.

The correct location is 50.474755,1.577396 ...

I've added it to the POIs :D

i agree with kontika we have just got back from a week in france abd stayed thier for 3 nights in total 1 on the way south and two on thw way back, at stella it does look kinda ghost townish till about 2pm then the local etc use the beech. when we were thier the circus arriverd and tierd the animals up around the main roundabout and this allowerd ppl to approach larmas and camels etc which my gf little lad loved. at the beech thier is a toilet which opens till 7pm and thier are 24 hour toilets on the left hand side just before a little fountain. thier was a market on the first day we were thier (sunday) . its a little gem as has mentioned thier is a free place for m homes just befire camping del a mar no waste pr water though but 2 mins walk to the beech over the sand dunes,
hopes this helps.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back