Air Diesel Night Heater

gypo

We are about to move home and live in a caravan for a bit while the new (to us) house is being renovated, on site is a heating oil tank with approx 200lt of oil in it so I’m going to buy a diesel night heater and put it in the caravan, I know there are loads to choose from on eBay but was wondering if anyone has bought one of the cheap Chinese ones and if it’s any good I.e won’t break down which one did you buy?
Thanks
D

Last edited:
I use one of the £80 all in one 5KW types off ebay - been great in my workshop over the last year or so. You need to buy a decent 12v power supply (20A) but they are only about £15.
I run mine off heating oil, and ditched the tiny tank that it came with, and use a 10 gallon tank. It uses about 1/2 litre an hour at full blast, reducing to about 0.2 litre / hr .
I also got a better silencer for it, as it can get quite noisy without.
It seems pretty reliable, but they seem to thrive on going flat out.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’ve got a 10amp power supply here I thought that might run it.
Any chance you could link me to the power supply you use please?
Thanks
Dean

Would it not be better to run an electric oil filled rad on the stat, or a fan heater which will dry the damp winter air.

May be an idea if its noisy to install it outside the caravan and use some type of piping to get the heat inside

Thanks Dave, I’ve got a 10amp power supply here I thought that might run it.
Any chance you could link me to the power supply you use please?
Thanks
Dean
It only needs to be a high current for the initial surge, and 20A is probably too high, 10A may be enough, but they are cheap enough.

Plenty of sellers on ebay from £10 - £20.

I also highly recommend changing the fuel pipe it comes with, as its apparently too large a bore if you are extending it to a remote tank. Also, wise to fit a filter.
This sort of kit is what I used, and it works well

Dave.

Water works perfectly on this C3402 model but I can't get the heating to fire up.

Turn outer ring of control to heating only then turn temperature control up to full. The air circulator fan runs at a low speed, which I'm given to understand should be the case initially, but the main burner doesn't fire up and eventually the air circulator fan gives up. It has worked previously but with a mind of its own on occasion.

Hoping to get a local service fella to take a look but if anyone has a magic answer I'd be obliged. I have a Roseann who is greatly affected by heating or the lack of it. Can't believe she's a bona fide Jock.

Cheers

H

It only needs to be a high current for the initial surge, and 20A is probably too high, 10A may be enough, but they are cheap enough.

Plenty of sellers on ebay from £10 - £20.

I also highly recommend changing the fuel pipe it comes with, as its apparently too large a bore if you are extending it to a remote tank. Also, wise to fit a filter.
This sort of kit is what I used, and it works well

Dave.
Many thanks, just ordered the power supply. I’ve got best part of a roll of heating pipe there so that should do instead of the supplied one.
D

Many thanks, just ordered the power supply. I’ve got best part of a roll of heating pipe there so that should do instead of the supplied one.
D
The problem is the pump in these heaters is a bit puny so will struggle to pull oil up a long large bore pipe. Will be fine if your tank is above the heater of course. The difference between 2mm I.d. and 3mm I.d. makes a difference.
Good luck, Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’ll see if I can locate the heater below the tank level.
D

@gypo
Probably not what you're looking for but I've just stumbled across this:

Look very similar to a Truma and at half the price o_O

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back