Agism or Sexism Getting Insurance

Aged 81 yrs could only find Saga would insure me for over £800 and 3 yr fix with max no claims bonus. My daughter as co-driver and a coach driver also max no claims. The only other offer was for a premium over £2000 after an exhaustive search Of the market place. The motorhome is 9 yrs old and 5.4 meters long. The error was that I needed to make my initial quote for my daughter aged 55 not for myself. Once the initial quote has been made, apparently the rules for insurances dont allow for a change of main driver. Take care you oldies.

Ageism sexism or could be just plain risk. It is impossible to prove you have been victimised.

We got a quote to add my wife to her mother's car policy. Bit on the high side but not too bad. Then call handler quoted for any driver and it went down by £100.

1662203600246.png

I understand that but what is there to explain both drivers are the same all other details are the same just who is named as first driver. The only difference between us is I am 4.5 years older & male? That is the point I was making, why was my quote around £150 dearer.
insurance companies. along with others are a law unto themselves....a good few years ago i was told by one ins company one that i had been with a good few years.....that premium had gone up because i do UNDER 5000 miles a year (thats what my yearly mileage has always been) work that one out?????

We got a quote to add my wife to her mother's car policy. Bit on the high side but not too bad. Then call handler quoted for any driver and it went down by £100.

View attachment 112371

ive been told any drivier providing they have their own insurance. hence only 3rd party cover if driving my vehicle..
. i think that goes for all ins. companies (its not what they tell you it what they DONT tell you)
if a named driver on poilicy i believe that covers them for the same cover as what the policy holder has.

could be wrong tho....

ive been told any drivier providing they have their own insurance. hence only 3rd party cover if driving my vehicle..
. i think that goes for all ins. companies (its not what they tell you it what they DONT tell you)
if a named driver on poilicy i believe that covers them for the same cover as what the policy holder has.

could be wrong tho....

I think that is when a driver has a policy to drive any vehicle as well as their own Trixie. So they may have fully comp on their own vehicle but only 3rd party when they drive one that they don't own.

I could also be wrong though! 😊

could be wrong tho....
I think you are wrong.

The "any driver" cover we had was comprehensive.

I think you are wrong.

The "any driver" cover we had was comprehensive.
Generally it's correct that drivers insured to drive 'any other vehicle'
Are only covered for 3rd party on other folks vehicles...
UNLESS specifically covered 'fully comp' on the vehicle policy.

It's all part of the details that they love to keep in small print...

Mind lots of folks used to use the insured to drive other vehicles to trundle around in vehicles with no active insurance on them...
Easy way to get points.

Daughter with own car and own policy was not permitted/covered under 3rd party for other vehicles until she was over 25. When she recently disposed of her car I loaned her a car, by which time she was well over 25. It was taxed, V5 changed to her name and insured by her, but she was not covered on any other car 3rd party as she did not own the car. I had to transfer the ownership.
Son has a Citroen Berlingo as a self employed heating engineer. His policy does not permit or cover him 3rd party on another car. He had to be a named driver on the main family car to use it.
Small print needs to be read and understood as things are not always clear cut.

Davy

Small print needs to be read and understood as things are not always clear cut.

Davy
THIS ^^^^

Treat insurance companies as the slippery eels that they are....

It's on your own head to disclose every single modification from standard and every material facts as they WILL use any undotted i s and uncrossed Ts to do their level best to wriggle out of paying out OR increasing the cost to YOU.

They are frankly a law unto themselves...

daughter is fully comp with her insurance...im fully comp with mine..
..however my insurance told me she can drive mine .... (not a named driver on mine) ........(policy says any driver both on her ins. and on mine)
but would only be covered third party. whilst driving my vehicle;

if she was a named driver on my ins, she would be covered comprehensive. whilst driving my vehicle.

now what i find is a very grey area. is the fact of ANY DRIVER... (i would think most policies have this for cars)
SOOOO.
does that mean i can let a friend use it. when they dont have any insurance of there own whatsoever/???????? Hmmmm

daughter is fully comp with her insurance...im fully comp with mine..
..however my insurance told me she can drive mine .... (not a named driver on mine) ........(policy says any driver both on her ins. and on mine)
but would only be covered third party. whilst driving my vehicle;

if she was a named driver on my ins, she would be covered comprehensive. whilst driving my vehicle.

now what i find is a very grey area. is the fact of ANY DRIVER... (i would think most policies have this for cars)
SOOOO.
does that mean i can let a friend use it. when they dont have any insurance of there own whatsoever/???????? Hmmmm
Nope....
The vehicle has to be insured in its own right.

And the 'other' driver needs to have any other vehicle cover.

Nope....
The vehicle has to be insured in its own right.

And the 'other' driver needs to have any other vehicle cover.
And this is extremely important, many drivers think that anyone with a full driving licence can drive their cars which are fully comp with third party, they can't, unless the other driver has fully comp cover on their own cars with other vehicle cover. And as you say it’s important to check that you have any other vehicle cover, if you are driving someone else’s car. If not you are driving without insurance with all its consequences. Also when driving someone else’s car you are only covered third party. This is intended for urgent or emergency situations only, and not be used for non urgent reasons.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back