Aerogel insulation

UFO

Aerogel is often described as the most effective insulation known to science.

A 10mm thick layer fixed to a property's walls can reduce heat loss by two thirds. Currently its limited use means a price of £50 per square metre.

It's thinness and flexibility would make it ideal for van insulation.

BBC News - Is there a better way to insulate our draughty homes?

A 10mm thick layer fixed to a property's walls can reduce heat loss by two thirds. Currently its limited use means a price of £50 per square metre.

If the habitation area is 5m long by 2.5 m high and 2 m wide the requirement would be:
2 side walls @ 5 x 2.5 = 25 sqm;
floor & roof @ 5 x 2 = 20 sqm;
rear wall @ 2.5 x 2 = 5 sqm;
Total = 50 sqm (less window & skylights) = under £2,500 (Some of which is saved on existing insulation ).

It is definitely something for people to consider.

Last edited:
It is about time the UK Building regs started to get there act together regarding home insulation, also time for the gov to sponser once again grants to bring old homes up to date, and by force if required, council could and should do inspections before and after grant work.
AS for campervans things could be much better and again set regulation as to build quality and construction, many I look at are very poor, most are just eye candy and not built to last, to much wood and flimbsey door hinges etc spring to mind along with poor electrics as in battery charging etc.

I have been using armacell armaflex for insulating vessels prior to cladding 1m wide and 5m long 25mm thick, better insulation than 50mm glass wool with foil back. It is also anti fungal, last time i purchased it, it was £48 EX VAT .

I have been using armacell armaflex for insulating vessels prior to cladding 1m wide and 5m long 25mm thick, better insulation than 50mm glass wool with foil back. It is also anti fungal, last time i purchased it, it was £48 EX VAT .

It is now over six times that price !
Last time it was £48 for 1m x 5m (5sqm) which is £9.60 per sqm
Current price is £59 for 0.5m x 2m,(1sqm) which is £ 59 per sqm

armaflex.png

I found that shopping around gave massive differences in prices, Brymec were very good where beforehand it was Wolseley who became part of the William Wilson group who beforehand believe it or not were bought out by BMC then got into plumbing parts. As always I shop around if purchasing a large qty see who is keen.

I note that Aerogel is microporous, so you will need to put in a vapour control layer.
Also from what I can see it doesn't seem to perform as well as Airtec double (which includes vapour control), maybe someone could check my findings on that.

There is and will be many new products on the market in the next few years with us all trying to stop burning fuel to heat our homes.
I noticed a lot of uninsulated homes here with no snow sitting on the roof, many just dont get it or have to much money or sit foundering with little heat on.

Ever since I built my van in 2015 I have banged on about how utterly brilliant closed cell spray foam is when it comes to insulating vans.

For one it totally removes the need for a vapour barrier and then, correctly applied it is not only quite thin but it is also highly efficient as I know with my van conversion where I have toured in temperatures as low as -17C and as high as +42C and yet inside it remained pleasently comfortable all of the time.

As for cost, yes it is considerably more expensive than highly questionable moisture wicking supposed insulation methods such as rock wool, or bubble wrap or heaven knows what else (all of which apparently need a moisture barrier), but despite the additional cost it is virtually instant and it is brilliant and no doubt cost a fraction of the new magical Aerogel.

This is it shortly before I did the required cutting back of the excess foam on the structural ribs which were all filled.

444.jpg

Yup I concur, the best thing I did was get mine spray foamed, I'd do it again too, but dread to think what the price would be now.

The only thing which would bother me if a damaged panel had to be cut or burned of with it would it be a problem rewelding a new panel in place.

If the habitation area is 5m long by 2.5 m high and 2 m wide the requirement would be:
2 side walls @ 5 x 2.5 = 25 sqm;
floor & roof @ 5 x 2 = 20 sqm;
rear wall @ 2.5 x 2 = 5 sqm;
Total = 50 sqm (less window & skylights) = under £2,500 (Some of which is saved on existing insulation ).

It is definitely something for people to consider.
Just Wiki'd it. Amazing stuff and also weighs next to nothing but unfortunately not easy to work and pretty nasty stuff apparently. Irritant to just about the whole body externally and internally, it sucks the moisture out of your fingers and knackers the skin so you must wear gloves when just touching it for long periods and to top it off it's carcinogenic too.
Think possibly spray foam may be a good compromise!

The only thing which would bother me if a damaged panel had to be cut or burned of with it would it be a problem rewelding a new panel in place.
It would Trev but most of us don't go around bashing stuff, it lessons the chance of internal rust due to its inherent vapour barrier, so really if you attend to rust as soon as you see it externally you just have to avoid getting scuffed.

It's 12 years since mine was done and it's still trundling around with nearly 300k on it now.

1678606674068.jpeg

1678606700628.jpeg

1678606782977.png

1678606830350.png

The singularly most important aspect of spray foaming is to ensure:-

1. The fluids are at exactly the correct temperatures so that they flow properly, sadly this is something a lot of even some professionals don't adhere to!

2. To only ever very lightly waft coat the panels with passes of the gun and not return with another coat until the 1st one has cured, doing it this way avoids any chances of panel warping, yet again this is something that unskilled professionals fail to do!!

So the best thing to do when deciding to have your vans closed cell spray foam lined is to find the best of the best professionals to do the job............

Mine was done at MPI in Bolton, Andy was the sprayer, he had done a few vans before mine and did know to do multiple layers, I have no idea if they are still doing vans.

there is a lot of prep to do before taking them for spraying as once done access is difficult, all wiring is best run through plastic trunking with plenty of access points in corners, and down to the floor anywhere you need power 12v or 230v, also treat any rust spots properly.

1678609634622.png

1678609665301.png

1678609698364.png

Mine was done at MPI in Bolton, Andy was the sprayer, he had done a few vans before mine and did know to do multiple layers, I have no idea if they are still doing vans.

Yes as he was the name suggested on the SBMCC forum, I took my van there as well and at the time I didn't know what a total XXXXXXXX he did of the job as in my case there was so much overspray which took me forever to trim off!

It was only some years later that I met up with One Insulation https://www.oneinsulation.co.uk/spray-foam-insulation-services-sheffield/ who took one look at the application in my van and then they showed me the superb smooth finish of the application in their works van. At the time they were injecting foam into the cavities of a section of my cottage.
I then got into conversation with them after I had noticed them regularly checking the temperatures of their liquids and they explained how they had been to America (where the solvents were manufactured) and where they had learnt how imperative it was for them to be at exactly the correct temps. if a smooth finish was to be achieved.

At that time, and just like you, I was a very active participant on the diymotorhome group and I arranged a special discount for anyone wanting their vans foam lined.............. Just one of the many similar discount agreements I arranged for that site!!

Dont think there is anyone here capable of doing a job on vans, most only do big factory roofs etc.

Mine was fine, a bit of overspray, not much really, didn't take me long to sort it but I did do a lot of prep to make sure it was either covered properly and got none or I'd prepared the surface so it'd peel off, and of course, thorough masking and protection of any access points, well pleased with the results, no complaints and I'd recommend them, I requested Adam to do certain parts a bit more and he did as requested, I have to say it was a really nice experience for me, I had a good laugh with the crew while I was there, coffee and biscuits etc, a good few hours and not too far from me, and the drive home was almost silent compared to the drive there, skelegogs n biscuit tins come to mind :D :D

BBC News - Is there a better way to insulate our draughty homes?
I've been impressed with Superfoil, used it on both my vans, comes in varying thicknesses, used mushroom shaped nylon, ridged spike fixings, bonded to the van inner skin, push the superfoil cut to shape over the fastenings and retain with the associated plastic 'washer. Not cheap but effective, can be easily removed for any body repairs down the line. Planning on using it when replacing front of house plastic shiplap cladding and ageing rock wool. Until aerogel insulation comes down in price will leave that to NASA.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back