advise on german lhd import please!!!!!!!!!!!

think about it this way, the lhd 92 has a dash mounted gear lever less likely to go wrong than the floor mounted gear stalk. most parts are identical as you are talking about a europe wide chassis the main differences in parts are things like the steering and gear linkages oh and the dash is the opposite way round everything else is pretty much the same as the rhd, gearbox engine brakes etc all the main wearing parts. as for the resale, well you got it cheaper than a rhd model and you won't sell it at the same price as a rhd but you shouldn't have trouble selling it on as some people prefer them if they travel in europe a lot, i hven't tried to sell a lhd so not sure what the resale is like but i know i looked at lhd over here and they were more expensive than what i bought over there, i am not saying you willl make money when it comes to selling but i don't think you will lose loads either simply because you got it cheaper in the first instance, expect it to be worth less than a rhd equivalent. mine btw is a fiat but the chassis is the same main difference will be the engine and gearbox.
thanks youve put my mind more at rest, thanks.

I think that when you are buying an older van, the condition is more important than the age and at the price that you are talking about it is even more important.
Left or right hand drive matters little if you are comfortable driving either.
Just check it out and if you are happy with the condition, go for it:cool:
On an older van, you can not go far wrong with a Hymer as they have been around for a long time and their reputation was built up on the older models and not the newer ones.
The older models are probably as near to indestructible as you will get with superb durability:cool:

thanks for putting my mind more at rest.

You won't have any problems with spares for the engine (at least on the continent) It is PSA (Fiat, Citroën, Peugeot), very common; one of the realiable sturdy atmospheric diesels. I have a 94er of those series; never had any problems. They are surely more relialebel than the later computerised common rails wich all have the same motorblock.
Hymer has a good reputation as built-up also. "Deutsche Grundigkeit".
If it's a good price and in good condition you will not be desapointed I suppose.

You won't have any problems with spares for the engine (at least on the continent) It is PSA (Fiat, Citroën, Peugeot), very common; one of the realiable sturdy atmospheric diesels. I have a 94er of those series; never had any problems. They are surely more relialebel than the later computerised common rails wich all have the same motorblock.
Hymer has a good reputation as built-up also. "Deutsche Grundigkeit".
If it's a good price and in good condition you will not be desapointed I suppose.

thanks for that advise it is much appreciated, however, you said that parts are not a problem on the continent? what i meant was getting parts for a citroen,fiat,peougeot, etc over here in england? is getting parts here a problem for a lhd vehicle? also are the parts more expensive?i would imagine that the engine, wheel bearings etc etc would all be the same, but what if i needed a new lhd steering rack?or a lhd exhaust? or a lhd column change gear lever etc? would i be able to get them type of parts over here in england with no problems and at a reasonable cost either new or used? as it is this that is worrying me, i wouldnt want to buy a vehicle that i would struggle to get parts for, or had to pay way over the odds to get parts from the continent.
thanks.

I've come upon this thread a bit late in the piece, so may duplicate some info already posted.

I've bought campervans from Germany twice, both are Mercedes Westfalias James Cooks based on the 309D model. In both cases I found them through www.mobile.de which has a fair selection of used campervans for sale privately and commercially. Its a good website to get an idea of market values as well. There are other websites - do a weblookup on "verkauf wohnmobil". The other James Cook we owned was bought in London and based on the 207D model.

The Germans have annual inspections of vehicles much the same as the MOT, its called a TUV. In my opinion its not as detailed as an MOT and you may find that the vehicle fails an MOT whilst having a TUV. Watch out for rust. It will fail on headlight adjustment and no rear fog lamps, beam benders are acceptable for the headlamp, although a wreckers will often have RHD headlamp lenses (they have an arrow pointing to the left side) below the price of the benders. Halfords can supply a fog lamp, just a pain to fit with a telltale lamp on the switch.

The German motoring club ADAC offer pre purchase inspections at a price, which can be very cheap insurance if you are not too mechanically minded. Look also for the gas equipment test and inspection gold roundalls on the back of the vehicle - every two years in Germany. If the vehicle has a gas tank its important to know that its in good condition.

Once you have bought the vehicle you and the previous owner have to go to the registration offices and surrender the old plates and buy export number plates and third party insurance or the minimum that the EU country you are in - they go together. They are valid for one month, and the plates will have the expiry date stamped on them. You'll get a green card at the same time. The registration documents will be typed up whilst you are there - no computers yet (which was a surprise to me) with your name and address and you'll be issued with an EU registration document.

Once you get it back into the UK, go to your local DVLA and get an imported vehicle infomation pack, fill out the forms and post them off to Customs at Dover, get an MOT, get insurrance, go back to the DVLA and pay for rego and any duty that Customs may impose.

Insurance issues that I had in the UK - all companies asked whether it was a model imported or built in the UK - as I had imported it I felt justified in saying yes!! But dont think I'd win in a fight.

Most European vehicles are built with both LHD and RHD versions with all but a few parts being common to them (headlamps lenses, steering and gear lever mechanisms, often air cleaner boxes are the ones that are not common). Some manufacturers (Merc and Renault) have parts supply policies for vehicles sold anywhere in the world - unlike the Japanese.

I've come upon this thread a bit late in the piece, so may duplicate some info already posted.

I've bought campervans from Germany twice, both are Mercedes Westfalias James Cooks based on the 309D model. In both cases I found them through www.mobile.de which has a fair selection of used campervans for sale privately and commercially. Its a good website to get an idea of market values as well. There are other websites - do a weblookup on "verkauf wohnmobil". The other James Cook we owned was bought in London and based on the 207D model.

The Germans have annual inspections of vehicles much the same as the MOT, its called a TUV. In my opinion its not as detailed as an MOT and you may find that the vehicle fails an MOT whilst having a TUV. Watch out for rust. It will fail on headlight adjustment and no rear fog lamps, beam benders are acceptable for the headlamp, although a wreckers will often have RHD headlamp lenses (they have an arrow pointing to the left side) below the price of the benders. Halfords can supply a fog lamp, just a pain to fit with a telltale lamp on the switch.

The German motoring club ADAC offer pre purchase inspections at a price, which can be very cheap insurance if you are not too mechanically minded. Look also for the gas equipment test and inspection gold roundalls on the back of the vehicle - every two years in Germany. If the vehicle has a gas tank its important to know that its in good condition.

Once you have bought the vehicle you and the previous owner have to go to the registration offices and surrender the old plates and buy export number plates and third party insurance or the minimum that the EU country you are in - they go together. They are valid for one month, and the plates will have the expiry date stamped on them. You'll get a green card at the same time. The registration documents will be typed up whilst you are there - no computers yet (which was a surprise to me) with your name and address and you'll be issued with an EU registration document.

Once you get it back into the UK, go to your local DVLA and get an imported vehicle infomation pack, fill out the forms and post them off to Customs at Dover, get an MOT, get insurrance, go back to the DVLA and pay for rego and any duty that Customs may impose.

Insurance issues that I had in the UK - all companies asked whether it was a model imported or built in the UK - as I had imported it I felt justified in saying yes!! But dont think I'd win in a fight.

Most European vehicles are built with both LHD and RHD versions with all but a few parts being common to them (headlamps lenses, steering and gear lever mechanisms, often air cleaner boxes are the ones that are not common). Some manufacturers (Merc and Renault) have parts supply policies for vehicles sold anywhere in the world - unlike the Japanese.
thanks for your advise roger it is much appreciated.......so you would recommend buying a lhd motorhome then?

Go for it

Hi tetleys
I think that with your proposed budget, that you will get a better left hooker for your money.
Only you can make the final decision so I wish you the best of luck.
I would go for one :)
Lets put it another way,
You see lots of old Hymers around and that says it all:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your advise roger it is much appreciated.......so you would recommend buying a lhd motorhome then?

I've only ever bought LHD units in Europe/UK, its not a drama driving in the UK, and is a lot easier driving in Europe. The few things that you need to be sure about is things like access doors - side rear doors will open on the offside in the UK - ie into the passing traffic, with young families this can be a safety issue getting kids in and out, for those who have managed to empty the nest its not so much an issue.

There's a few other things that will cost a few bob to get sorted - power sockets will all be European 2 pin, so you'll need adaptors. The power in socket will also need an adaptor to fit UK plugs. If you have a gas tank (instead of bottles) then you 'll need to get a set of adaptors to suit the UK Autogas pumps - about UKP50 last year for the three adaptors you need for Europe. I'd go for a gas tank, bigger than bottles and really easy to fill. Some dramas may occur in finding Autogas, but do a bit of weblooking to get a list in the country you visit.

Time of year that you buy will also dictate the value for money you get - Springtime and prices increase and stay high until Autumn, then decline to rock bottom in Winter.

Dont forget to add in the cost of travel to from Europe - unless you use the 1 month export plates to have a wander around Germany.

Habitation door

I have never had a problem with the habitation door on the off side, in fact I prefer it that way and I know many other owners that feel the same:)
We never stop on a busy road so the use of the habitation door in those circumstances to us is irrelevant.
May be as stated above, if you have young kids, it may be:eek:

I've only ever bought LHD units in Europe/UK, its not a drama driving in the UK, and is a lot easier driving in Europe. The few things that you need to be sure about is things like access doors - side rear doors will open on the offside in the UK - ie into the passing traffic, with young families this can be a safety issue getting kids in and out, for those who have managed to empty the nest its not so much an issue.

There's a few other things that will cost a few bob to get sorted - power sockets will all be European 2 pin, so you'll need adaptors. The power in socket will also need an adaptor to fit UK plugs. If you have a gas tank (instead of bottles) then you 'll need to get a set of adaptors to suit the UK Autogas pumps - about UKP50 last year for the three adaptors you need for Europe. I'd go for a gas tank, bigger than bottles and really easy to fill. Some dramas may occur in finding Autogas, but do a bit of weblooking to get a list in the country you visit.

Time of year that you buy will also dictate the value for money you get - Springtime and prices increase and stay high until Autumn, then decline to rock bottom in Winter.

Dont forget to add in the cost of travel to from Europe - unless you use the 1 month export plates to have a wander around Germany.

thanks for your advise roger, it is much appreciated:)

Hi tetleys
I think that with your proposed budget, that you will get a better left hooker for your money.
Only you can make the final decision so I wish you the best of luck.
I would go for one :)
Lets put it another way,
You see lots of old Hymers around and that says it all:cool:
thanks *****, i really appreciate the advise.:)

Boiler sorted

probably nothing sinister as i know you are a stickler for draining down so unlikely to be frost damage, most likely a loose clip or knackered seal

Hi Tony.
I was too busy last weekend to sort it, but I sorted it this weekend while filling up for our Leek chill out weekend.:D
Yes it was a loose hose clip so I put a new jubilee clip on, and it fixed the problem.:cool:
I also found another possible leak source. I found that the overflow/vent pipe coming from the top of the boiler may also have leaked while blowing off pressure,:eek: so I also put a clip on this as no clip had been previously fitted.:cool:
Just shows the importance of draining and filling the boilers as without doing this as a matter of course I would not have known about this small leak and it could have resulted in problems further down the line;):)

Hi Tony.
I was too busy last weekend to sort it, but I sorted it this weekend while filling up for our Leek chill out weekend.:D
Yes it was a loose hose clip so I put a new jubilee clip on, and it fixed the problem.:cool:
I also found another possible leak source. I found that the overflow/vent pipe coming from the top of the boiler may also have leaked while blowing off pressure,:eek: so I also put a clip on this as no clip had been previously fitted.:cool:
Just shows the importance of draining and filling the boilers as without doing this as a matter of course I would not have known about this small leak and it could have resulted in problems further down the line;):)
glad you got it sorted, just been away and come back and drained down too:)

did you buy one then?

hi tetleys did you get your motorhome from germany in the end?

hi all,

iam very new to motorhoming and have been looking for my first motorhome for the last couple of months which has not been very sucessful on a budget of £7500.(only been able to find mid to late 80s models for this) i have been advised that i can get much better value for money by purchasing from germany and so iam considering purchasing a lhd citroen based 1992 hymer camp lhd 2.5 deisel 108km motorhome,

i just wanted to know weather anybody out there had had any problems with such a vehicle,is a citroen hymer any good? and was parts ie for the lhd drive base vehicle difficult to get hold of? and was parts any more expensive than a rhd drive vehicle?also what if any thing goes wrong with the internall appliances ie, water boilers, wc, pumps, cooker, sink etc etc, are these easy to repair/get hold of here in england, or are they the same as any british motorhome?

also, is it quite easy to resell a lhd motorhome in general, or do the mojority of motorhome owners only stick to right hand drive vehicles?

the reason why iam asking all this is because i do not want to end up with a vehicle that i will struggle to get reasonabley priced parts for either the base vehicle or the motorhome part of the vehicle, and i wouldnt want to have to travel to germany every time i wanted a spare part.
also, if i bought the vehicle and later found that i wanted to resell it, would a lhd vehicle be difficult to resell here in england?

i really would appreciate as much advise as possible as iam planning to go to germany for a couple of days i may purchase a lhd citroen based 1992 108km 2.5 diesel hymer camp 55 which appears to be in an immaculate condition for approx under £8000.
it would also be very useful to know weather you think that this is a good price and if the worst came to the worst and i had to resell it weather i would expect to get my money back?
also is there anything that i need to look out for in particular?

sorry for all the questions, but i really do not want to make any mistakes.

thanks.

I have bought a 10 year old German Euromobil recently (LHD) from a guy who seems to make a living by popping over to Germany and bying a motorhome and then bringing it back to the UK to sell it on. I don't know much about Hymer but the Euromobil is great and the Ducato chassis is in beautiful condition. If you plan on doing most of you travelling in Europe then I think a LHD is a sensible buy. If you are going to stick to the UK then perhaps it isn't. Think how you are going to use it. If you would like to be put in touch with the guy I bought mine from for advice then let me know. Good luck, it is a nerve racking venture to embark on for the first time - this will be my first year of actually getting out there and travelling!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back