advise on german lhd import please!!!!!!!!!!!

tetleys

hi all,

iam very new to motorhoming and have been looking for my first motorhome for the last couple of months which has not been very sucessful on a budget of £7500.(only been able to find mid to late 80s models for this) i have been advised that i can get much better value for money by purchasing from germany and so iam considering purchasing a lhd citroen based 1992 hymer camp lhd 2.5 deisel 108km motorhome,

i just wanted to know weather anybody out there had had any problems with such a vehicle,is a citroen hymer any good? and was parts ie for the lhd drive base vehicle difficult to get hold of? and was parts any more expensive than a rhd drive vehicle?also what if any thing goes wrong with the internall appliances ie, water boilers, wc, pumps, cooker, sink etc etc, are these easy to repair/get hold of here in england, or are they the same as any british motorhome?
also, is it quite easy to resell a lhd motorhome in general, or do the mojority of motorhome owners only stick to right hand drive vehicles?

the reason why iam asking all this is because i do not want to end up with a vehicle that i will struggle to get reasonabley priced parts for either the base vehicle or the motorhome part of the vehicle, and i wouldnt want to have to travel to germany every time i wanted a spare part.
also, if i bought the vehicle and later found that i wanted to resell it, would a lhd vehicle be difficult to resell here in england?

i really would appreciate as much advise as possible as iam planning to go to germany for a couple of days i may purchase a lhd citroen based 1992 108km 2.5 diesel hymer camp 55 which appears to be in an immaculate condition for approx under £8000.
it would also be very useful to know weather you think that this is a good price and if the worst came to the worst and i had to resell it weather i would expect to get my money back?
also is there anything that i need to look out for in particular?

sorry for all the questions, but i really do not want to make any mistakes.

thanks.

hi all,

iam very new to motorhoming and have been looking for my first motorhome for the last couple of months which has not been very sucessful on a budget of £7500.(only been able to find mid to late 80s models for this) i have been advised that i can get much better value for money by purchasing from germany and so iam considering purchasing a lhd citroen based 1992 hymer camp lhd 2.5 deisel 108km motorhome,

i just wanted to know weather anybody out there had had any problems with such a vehicle,is a citroen hymer any good? and was parts ie for the lhd drive base vehicle difficult to get hold of? and was parts any more expensive than a rhd drive vehicle?also what if any thing goes wrong with the internall appliances ie, water boilers, wc, pumps, cooker, sink etc etc, are these easy to repair/get hold of here in england, or are they the same as any british motorhome?
also, is it quite easy to resell a lhd motorhome in general, or do the mojority of motorhome owners only stick to right hand drive vehicles?

the reason why iam asking all this is because i do not want to end up with a vehicle that i will struggle to get reasonabley priced parts for either the base vehicle or the motorhome part of the vehicle, and i wouldnt want to have to travel to germany every time i wanted a spare part.
also, if i bought the vehicle and later found that i wanted to resell it, would a lhd vehicle be difficult to resell here in england?

i really would appreciate as much advise as possible as iam planning to go to germany for a couple of days i may purchase a lhd citroen based 1992 108km 2.5 diesel hymer camp 55 which appears to be in an immaculate condition for approx under £8000.
it would also be very useful to know weather you think that this is a good price and if the worst came to the worst and i had to resell it weather i would expect to get my money back?

thanks.
Sorry i cant help much bu i am sure there is a thread on here about someone buying from Germany

Hi Tetleys.
I have answered your questions before on either Wild or Motorhome Fun (not so fun) and I reckon that the Camp is a good motorhome, but you must see it and check its condition.
There is a local dealer to me that imports used German M/Hs and he specializes in Hymers. they are called www.motorhomes-r-us.com
You could also speak to Walkers on wild as he has recently purchased a used m/h from Germany.
I have a Hymer and it is my second and I think the quality is as good as you will get. Hymer have been building m/hs for many years and have sorted out what is good or just looks good.
Go for it if it looks ok

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all,

thanks.
the price certainly sounds good, age shouldn't be a major problem if it has beeen well cared for. are you buying from a dealer?
importing is straight forward ask dvla for an import pack, you will need to have it mot'd when you get it home as you can not register it without you will need an insurance certificate too. there is a £50 registration fee and no there is no import duty to pay. in germany it will need to have export plates issued, the dealer will normally do this for you it needs a tuv to get these and you will need at least green card insurance to drive it home again the dealer can usually sort this out, your insurance company can register on the chassis number but only for a short period of time.
make sure you give it a very good look over (check everything works)as i doubt at this age the dealer will give any warranty, and if they do its a long drive back to get the work done. the hymer coachbuild seems to be of very good standard and so far i am very pleased with my import:D

the price certainly sounds good, age shouldn't be a major problem if it has beeen well cared for. are you buying from a dealer?
importing is straight forward ask dvla for an import pack, you will need to have it mot'd when you get it home as you can not register it without you will need an insurance certificate too. there is a £50 registration fee and no there is no import duty to pay. in germany it will need to have export plates issued, the dealer will normally do this for you it needs a tuv to get these and you will need at least green card insurance to drive it home again the dealer can usually sort this out, your insurance company can register on the chassis number but only for a short period of time.
make sure you give it a very good look over (check everything works)as i doubt at this age the dealer will give any warranty, and if they do its a long drive back to get the work done. the hymer coachbuild seems to be of very good standard and so far i am very pleased with my import:D

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that while you drive home to the uk it would be on third party insurance only:confused:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that while you drive home to the uk it would be on third party insurance only:confused:
depends on the company but should be possible to get fully comp, i didn't but when i insured mine it was covered fully comp on the chassis and would include use in europe so i could have had fully comp to bring it home if only i had known, so check with your insurance and if they say no ring around, it is possible

depends on the company but should be possible to get fully comp, i didn't but when i insured mine it was covered fully comp on the chassis and would include use in europe so i could have had fully comp to bring it home if only i had known, so check with your insurance and if they say no ring around, it is possible

Hi walkers, I read that on these trade plates that they issue in Germany, that you are only on third party. I take it that there are ways around this?:cool:

Hi walkers, I read that on these trade plates that they issue in Germany, that you are only on third party. I take it that there are ways around this?:cool:
yes insure it on the chassis number, btw they are not trade plates but export plates the vehicle is registered in your name for up to 30 days to export it from their country.ring your insurance company (or the one you have rung who will cover it the way you want it) when you collect the vehicle they will cover it on the chassis number and as with your previous van you will have entitlement to use it abroad. the insurance with the plates is seperate to any insurance you might take out, that is the minimum legal requirement and they don't issue the plates with out it

yes insure it on the chassis number, btw they are not trade plates but export plates the vehicle is registered in your name for up to 30 days to export it from their country.ring your insurance company (or the one you have rung who will cover it the way you want it) when you collect the vehicle they will cover it on the chassis number and as with your previous van you will have entitlement to use it abroad. the insurance with the plates is seperate to any insurance you might take out, that is the minimum legal requirement and they don't issue the plates with out it

I see, thanks for the info.:cool:
How is your m/h going?:confused:

I see, thanks for the info.:cool:
How is your m/h going?:confused:
sitting on the driveway waiting to go away
it is going well am pleased with it, just having a towbar made up as i said on a different thread. lynn is making some curtains up for the lounge/bedroom so it'll be really plush for its next outing. managed to work the heating and hot water out i had a problem with the water running back but put a non return valve in and works like a dream now (have to disconnect non return every time i drain but no major hassle) surprisingly hot water not tried the shower yet but reckon i should get a good one in this van

sitting on the driveway waiting to go away
it is going well am pleased with it, just having a towbar made up as i said on a different thread. lynn is making some curtains up for the lounge/bedroom so it'll be really plush for its next outing. managed to work the heating and hot water out i had a problem with the water running back but put a non return valve in and works like a dream now (have to disconnect non return every time i drain but no major hassle) surprisingly hot water not tried the shower yet but reckon i should get a good one in this van

Yes, I think that you will find that the Hymer showers are very good as we use ours all of the time. (Four showers this weekend):cool:
I have just got a little problem with mine.:mad:
I drained the water down again today and I found a small pool of water under the boiler:mad: ( about a tea spoon full at most)
I am hoping it is a hose clip, but I will not be sure untill I refill the boiler again to find out where it is coming from.:confused:
Too late today to do this so I will worry about it untill next week end:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, I think that you will find that the Hymer showers are very good as we use ours all of the time. (Four showers this weekend):cool:
I have just got a little problem with mine.:mad:
I drained the water down again today and I found a small pool of water under the boiler:mad: ( about a tea spoon full at most)
I am hoping it is a hose clip, but I will not be sure untill I refill the boiler again to find out where it is coming from.:confused:
Too late today to do this so I will worry about it untill next week end:eek::eek::eek:
probably nothing sinister as i know you are a stickler for draining down so unlikely to be frost damage, most likely a loose clip or knackered seal

probably nothing sinister as i know you are a stickler for draining down so unlikely to be frost damage, most likely a loose clip or knackered seal
Yes thanks I am meticulous at draining down:D
I do so hope.
Where would the seal be???
Is that in the bottom of the boiler?:confused:

Yes thanks I am meticulous at draining down:D
I do so hope.
Where would the seal be???
Is that in the bottom of the boiler?:confused:
i was thinking more at one of the pipe connections they have a small rubber washer inside the connections

i was thinking more at one of the pipe connections they have a small rubber washer inside the connections

Thanks for that.
I will have to suffer until next saturday and fill the boiler and maybe have to heat it up and wait for the leak:eek::eek:
Just have to keep fingers and toes crossed and hope it is a pipe clip.
I know which one if it is as I have checked the area where it is coming from,
but I had drained and too late to refill.
Just have to worry all week:D
But if it is and I don't think it will be Frost Damage.
If it happens to me and how carfull I am, I even drain before driving home so that any dregs can work out of the pipes, then it could happen to anybody:eek:

hi and thanks for taking the time to give me advise, but in your opinion are parts for a lhd vehicle hard to find? and are they more expensive than rhd vehicles? also is a lhd vehicle difficult to sell if i wanted to resell it? and would you think that i would be able to get my money back? also are all the appliances and equipment in side the same as any british motorhome?also, is a citreon any good in terms of reliability and parts?thanks.

hi and thanks for taking the time to give me advise, but in your opinion are parts for a lhd vehicle hard to find? and are they more expensive than rhd vehicles? also is a lhd vehicle difficult to sell if i wanted to resell it? and would you think that i would be able to get my money back? also are all the appliances and equipment in side the same as any british motorhome?also, is a citreon any good in terms of reliability and parts?thanks.

Left hand drive will always be more difficult to sell, but the Citroen, Fiat Ducato & Boxer are all the same.
Internal appliances will be the same

think about it this way, the lhd 92 has a dash mounted gear lever less likely to go wrong than the floor mounted gear stalk. most parts are identical as you are talking about a europe wide chassis the main differences in parts are things like the steering and gear linkages oh and the dash is the opposite way round everything else is pretty much the same as the rhd, gearbox engine brakes etc all the main wearing parts. as for the resale, well you got it cheaper than a rhd model and you won't sell it at the same price as a rhd but you shouldn't have trouble selling it on as some people prefer them if they travel in europe a lot, i hven't tried to sell a lhd so not sure what the resale is like but i know i looked at lhd over here and they were more expensive than what i bought over there, i am not saying you willl make money when it comes to selling but i don't think you will lose loads either simply because you got it cheaper in the first instance, expect it to be worth less than a rhd equivalent. mine btw is a fiat but the chassis is the same main difference will be the engine and gearbox.

the age of your intended purchase may have more effect on saleability than the drive side but then it is a hymer and that seems to help

the age of your intended purchase may have more effect on saleability than the drive side but then it is a hymer and that seems to help

I think that when you are buying an older van, the condition is more important than the age and at the price that you are talking about it is even more important.
Left or right hand drive matters little if you are comfortable driving either.
Just check it out and if you are happy with the condition, go for it:cool:
On an older van, you can not go far wrong with a Hymer as they have been around for a long time and their reputation was built up on the older models and not the newer ones.
The older models are probably as near to indestructible as you will get with superb durability:cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back