advice with basic aerial for digital

chrisT70

Our swift sundance has the standard type roof mount aerial which i believe is a status 315 or similar, with an onboard amplifier. its worked ok on a couple of sites when tuning into digital freeview, and has been rubbish on another 2 sites where we couldnt get any digital picture at all and only got a very poor analogue signal -which obviously wont be available in the future.

we are'nt really bothered about sky/sat channels etc, the freeview channels available thro our 19" lcd digital TV will suffice, so can anyone recommend a decent digital aerial and telescopic type mast that is easily transportable?

I can probably rig something up to clamp to the bike rack etc to fix the pole to. we stayed on a site at Brid last week (south cliff) and most of the other vans or caravans had simple aerials in use which appeared to be working ok, but with a decent mast to get up and above the van roof to pick up a signal. i think something on these lines would suffice.
i think the overcab hump interferes with the signal pick up on the as fitted aerial as its mounted just behind the hump!
any suggestions appreciated.

Small household type....

A small household type should do the job. I have seen them about 18 inches long and not much to go wrong....
You wont be able to drive with it up though....

I use an indoor aerial, they were selling them off cheap at Argos for about 3 quid. Find that it works fine, if there is a digital signal I get it to tune in the channels then I can look at the signal strength to tweak it by pointing it towards the strongest signal, then retune it again. Up to now it has worked almost everywhere I've tried it so I must be lucky or have always been in a strong signal area. I believe that any cheapish aerial that you would mount on the roof of your house will work fine in most areas.

I have a image from aerialshack.com. They have ready made up kits (aerial, mast, wire and clamp) or they will tailor make one for you at a good price. Give them a ring numbers on the website. I found them very helpful and fast delivery.

thanks for the replies will have a look at the options mentioned now. my main thought is how good/transportable a pole will be to go with it. dont really want the expense of a sat dish or motorised type system so maybe time to start with one of these first!
cheers

A satellite dish can be got for next to nothing. Stick it on a camera tripod. Buy a second hand 240 volt Sky digibox (use through a 150 watt inverter) and away you go.

I got a Sky dish and LNB free off the installer of my home setup. The tripod was £7 at Lidl and the digibox £15. I take the Sky viewing card and get all the programmes.

It would depend if you have enough storage space for the dish.

thanks for the replies will have a look at the options mentioned now. my main thought is how good/transportable a pole will be to go with it. dont really want the expense of a sat dish or motorised type system so maybe time to start with one of these first!
cheers

Pole comes in three clip together pieces. Just clips and screws to bike rack. A signal meter helps, no need for a posh one.

have seen a kit with 3 section pole now which looks like it will do the trick, thanks for replies.

Thanks *****, sorry to have been so dumb! Hubby has ordered a portable satellite, so if that doesn't give us a picture, looks like the one you have will be the way to go!:)

cheers for replies very helpful. this is on "to do" list for next season. solar panel, cruise control also coming all being well!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back