Advice wanted - grey waste

GeoffL

We're new to motorhoming and can't figure out how to responsibly empty our grey waste tank. Our motorhome has a vertical dump pipe just forward of the rear axle and about 18 inches inboard of the offside. This has a rod-operated 'slide' dump valve at the end of the pipe. The end of the pipe is only four to six inches off the ground (depending on how the ground lies) and so none of the portable waste containers I've seen fit under it. I guess that this arrangement is designed to be used by positioning the waste pipe over a drainage grating (e.g. at a motorhome service point) and pulling the rod handle to open the valve and dump the grey tank contents into the grating.

About the only thing I can think of is to use a shallow washing-up bowl and empty the grey tank 5 litres at a time -- but that would take ages and be rather messy. Has anyone got a elegant solution for this? Thanks for looking, Geoff

I have a 3 meter length of pipe which I can connect to the grey outlet to assist emptying if needed.

On my way to bangor from belfast i was behind a van which just opened his as he went along.:mad1::hammer:would not want to be following on m/bike.

I find a convenient drain in a lay-by and whistle a little tune as I stroll up and down exercising the dog.
Most CL's nowadays seem to suggest just letting it go.

When you think of it most car washes etc just let there dirt go down road side drains.

I've seen a bucket with holes drilled into it then filled with grass or straw, then the grey is run into said bucket which filters any crap out.

John.

Last edited:
I have used a plastic bag full of grass with holes in the bottom ,.

Same here

We're new to motorhoming and can't figure out how to responsibly empty our grey waste tank. Our motorhome has a vertical dump pipe just forward of the rear axle and about 18 inches inboard of the offside. This has a rod-operated 'slide' dump valve at the end of the pipe. The end of the pipe is only four to six inches off the ground (depending on how the ground lies) and so none of the portable waste containers I've seen fit under it. I guess that this arrangement is designed to be used by positioning the waste pipe over a drainage grating (e.g. at a motorhome service point) and pulling the rod handle to open the valve and dump the grey tank contents into the grating.

About the only thing I can think of is to use a shallow washing-up bowl and empty the grey tank 5 litres at a time -- but that would take ages and be rather messy. Has anyone got a elegant solution for this? Thanks for looking, Geoff
We pour water from wup bowl into a bucket to make it easier.
See other posts.
We rarely put wup water down the sink (blockages) but dispose of it from the bowl.
Use road drains or waste grassy weedy land.

Seems a strange arrangement for a waste outlet....18 inches inboard ? Are many vans like this... ours has valve easily reachable with plenty of room for buckets. Maja

Just open the valve and drive off like a lot of other buggers do and think it`s ok :mad2:

modify a window winder motor so you can open the valve whilst driving and wait for the prat in the audi or bmw to get on yer bumper then dump ;)

Would a waste master with the small end going under first not fit ? We had a hire rollerteam a few years ago that had a rod that opened a large flap in the bottom of the tank, great for aires and proper dump stations as it empty fast but a pain when you get home after wilding. It makes sense that UK manufactured motorhomes have a tap or auto valve right by the side, not four foot under the van.

I've adapted my central 2" waste outlet with fittings I had lying around my garage (ex plumber heating engineer) I shaped a piece of plastic pipe as a support, sikaflexed it to outlet pipework I made and zip tied it to chassis.
It's all very firm and solid, but I will look at getting a piece of threaded bar and a 2" bracket to make it a permanent fixture.

I can now drain into bucket or my extended hose into hedgerow.
John.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Last edited:
rainwater drains usually go into streams or rivers . home sink waste goes into the sewage system. so is far safer.
the real question is would you empty your grey tank into a pool full of fish?
thats really what you could be doing tipping into rain water drains .
in thruth far better to just let if go onto roadside grass etc . at least then the ground can help by filtering out things not so good for water based creatures or other animals drinking stream /river water.

My Pilote has a central waste spout to let out the grey water.

I added a 40mm flexible plastic pipe as shown in the pictures.

The pipe is attached to the waste spout by worm clips and fastened close to the pull/push handle by a tool clip.

The pipe just pulls out of the clip and can be up to four foot from the waste drain and still get rid of the grey water without a problem.

The whole lot, plastic pipe from a local Aquatic shop, cost less than a fiver.

Hose 1 USE.jpgHose 2 USE.jpgHose 3 USE.jpg

Thanks for some interesting ideas. Although I'm tempted with the remote release that ricc suggested, I guess that I'll have to find another solution!

Although the 'thin end' of a Wastemaster will fit under (just) it's a large container that'll probably only collect ten litres or so on a good day. Hopefully, I can find a better solution. (Besides which, I let my Wastemaster go when we sold the caravan.)

FWIW, this isn't a continental european 'van -- it's a 2001 Autotrail Scout. I have no idea what Autotrail were thinking when they came up with that arrangement for dumping grey water. When we looked over the van prior to agreeing to buy it, we saw the (sensibly placed) fresh drain line with a valve at the end and wrongly assumed that was the grey outlet.

I'm even considering drilling an additional hole in the bottom of the tank and fitting a second dump line with a valve at its end -- although I'll probably see if I can knock up something using a compression elbow and some flexy hose that I can temporarily rig to dump the grey to a portable waste container -- if the dump pipe is the right diameter.

Thanks again, Geoff

Are you absolutely sure that the slide arrangement is for the grey waste?
I have seen this sort of valve on a toilet dump before. Do you have a conventional toilet cassette?

Are you absolutely sure that the slide arrangement is for the grey waste?
I have seen this sort of valve on a toilet dump before. Do you have a conventional toilet cassette?
Rather disconcertingly, the grey waste full alarm on the control panel reads "SOIL FULL" (and goes off whenever I drive over a rough road with the grey tank more than 1/4 full)! However, the MH is fitted with a Thetford C2 cassette toilet, so I'm fairly sure the slide valve is for grey rather than black waste!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back