Advice on where to get an estimated value for a self converted campervan

• Thread starter Deleted member 37892
  • Start date

Deleted member 37892

We already have a LWB Mercedes Sprinter that was converted for us into a camper van. This got me really interested in doing my own conversion.
Hence, as a follow on and as a hobby I have just converted a LWB Mercedes Vito primarily for use by my grown up kids, which has turned out very nice. Indeed for short breaks we have used it, instead of the much bigger sprinter.

I have no idea what the vehicle is worth and would like pointers where I could get an estimate.
DSC05503.jpgDSC05506.jpgDSC05501.jpgDSC05498.jpgDSC05538.jpg.

Attachments

• DSC05499.jpg
    DSC05499.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 245
I would look out for similar on Ebay and Gumtree etc. and see what prices others fetch if similar age and mileage.

Nice job by the way.

Can't help on valuation but it looks a nice neat job, well done great skills.
Thanks - we took photos every step of the way and I maintained an inventory of all materials used. We double insulated using self adhesive Kiravans acoustic insulation stuck to the van metalwork which has foil on inner side, then left an air gap, with foil / bubble wrap stuck to the inside of the van ply lining. We then covered the ply lining with the stretch carpet type lining. I would certainly use this approach when I decide to do my next project.
To keep the weight down and for toughness, I built a frame, lined the inside with light weight ply and used laminate flooring for the outside of the units.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you where to add £500 to the Parkers vehicle price guide. That should give you a working minimum but as always, its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you have ever been to an auction you will know how unpredictable that is.

Richard

We already have a LWB Mercedes Sprinter that was converted for us into a camper van. This got me really interested in doing my own conversion.
Hence, as a follow on and as a hobby I have just converted a LWB Mercedes Vito primarily for use by my grown up kids, which has turned out very nice. Indeed for short breaks we have used it, instead of the much bigger sprinter.

I have no idea what the vehicle is worth and would like pointers where I could get an estimate.
View attachment 47373View attachment 47374View attachment 47375View attachment 47376View attachment 47377.

I am in the same position as you and my insurance is due for renewal next month - it currently insured for van book value of I guess 3 k but van and conversion cost me closer to 9k with the numerous unforeseen mechanical repairs!.

Let me know how you get on - I took a few pictures but only of the insulation and have kept some but not all receipts and kept a spread sheet showing costs. Adrian flux said take some photos of van and send in to get an agreed value - haven't done this yet as I am going to try just Kampers 1st

pay a visit to a local vehicle body repair shop . and ask who.where are the local independant insurance assessors.
ideally you will require all the reciepts of the cost of build . etc they will allow some labour costs .
i have used our local one a few times they are automobile engineers and assessors.
hf wiltshire &son penstraze truro.
they do lots of insurance valuations .

A self build conversion is worth a few hundred pounds more than the base vehicle. Converting yourself gets you the layout you want on the base vehicle you choose. It gets you a sense of achievement. It gets you the knowledge that it was done properly. You know it works so you can maintain it.

It does not make you any money; it probably costs more than buying a ready converted van, particularly if you start off with an old, clapped out and/or rusty base vehicle.

Tell me about it - our van went way over budget and if we sold it we will lose at least a few thousand but its ours, its unique and is exactly how we want it and yes it will be easy to maintain and reconfigure if we want to

Most important question - year and mileage of the base vehicle?

As others have said you won't necessarily make any or much money from a self build, though if you're lucky you can have some holidays in it and then get your money back or even turn a small profit. In 2011 I bought a 2007 LWB, semi-high top VW T5 for £7K, spent about £1500 and a great deal of time converting it myself, had several holidays out of it and then sold it for £10K to a bloke for whom it was exactly the right layout and just what he'd been looking for. In terms of man hours expended on the conversion I don't think I can consider myself having made a profit, but happy enough with the sale price.

Van looks great , sorry cant help about valuation.

Where did you get the tambour door from. We have some but they were lots of money!

Thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back