Advice on best freezer box for Norway trip

Harleyboygaz3

Good morning.
Wondering if any of you guys could recommend the best way of keeping a large amount frozen fish over 4 weeks?

So, we are heading to Norway for a month soon and looking to be doing plenty of sea fishing with a plan of filling a large freezer say approximately 50litre size to enable us to feed on during our stay. Would also like to bring it back full to UK as well at end of trip.
I have done a bit of research and main problem will be power consumption ? So I have a 150w solar panel which charges a 110 Ah leisure battery but thinking about adding another one to double up power storage. We are hopefully going to be off grid most of the time other than the occasional site where we could use hook up. Any suggestions, maybe from similar experience of which cool/freezer box unit would be most suitable for the job? I have looked at some of the Dometic/ Waeco boxes but seem pretty expensive £800 -£1100 ouch! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

We have a Dometic CFX25 which works as a freezer. Not the cheapest but it does work very well and keeps - 18c without any bother. Wired ours to run off 12v and cable to 240v socket. It switches itself over when no 240v available. I also bought the external jacket for it. Power usage varies but it works happily in the garage. It has Bluetooth as well so you can have a look what it's upto.

We have a Dometic CFX25 which works as a freezer. Not the cheapest but it does work very well and keeps - 18c without any bother. Wired ours to run off 12v and cable to 240v socket. It switches itself over when no 240v available. I also bought the external jacket for it. Power usage varies but it works happily in the garage. It has Bluetooth as well so you can have a look what it's upto.
What`s the noise like when it`s running please ?

:unsure: Would there be any complications crossing borders with a freezer full of fish ?

That’s great, thank you for your help.
Yes, an expensive box but I guess you get what you pay for.

All the quality chest fridge freezers are expensive.
Engel and ARB are other well respected brands of compressor fridges.

I did have an Alpicool compresdor Tww55 that had 2 compartments freeze down either or both to - 20°C 12v or main with adapter or direct from a solar panel.
Good bit of kit but only 1 lid.
Swapped it in for Alpicool Taw45 twin lids and two compartments.
Got it in the van now not too power hungry (360w solar and plenty of battery) and nothing complaining

And an optional own battery.
Not a cheap one but cheaper than others

Vids on YouTube.
Has tug along handle and wheels, also controller via phone app is easy.

Hopefully doing the same as you come September time, 👍

You can here it running with the garage door open. Inside the MH you can just here it occasionally.
Thank you (y) we are thinking of one but it will live in the garage right underneath the bed so noise would be a factor overnight.

Thank you (y) we are thinking of one but it will live in the garage right underneath the bed so noise would be a factor overnight.

Message from SWMBO who sleeps directly above it. She doesn't notice it 😁

If you pass by Nottingham we could put ours in your garage and you can try it.

I have the Dometic CFX 35 for when I’m out and about in my tent and it’s brilliant. Will run for 3 days off my Ecoflow river pro and i hear a pin drop and it doesn’t wake me.
It gets down to temp extremely quickly and will freeze down to -22.
The only downsides for me are the weight, not having a seperate freezer compartment and the price at approx £780.00. Fortunately I picked up a bargain, a brand new unopened unit on eBay from Kings Lyne Cash converters which I picked up for £400.00. 👍👍👍
If you go for a larger CFX unit they do have a seperate freezer compartment but they are huge and extremely heavy.

We would use it primarily as a freezer because the freezer compartment on our Dometic RM7291 is woefully small :(

It works extremely well and will keep items frozen on our 4 week trips so they can just go back in the home freezer if unused :)

My friend Edina bought one of these freezes down to -20 has a battery back up and not very greedy on running it, unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment it kept our ice cream frozen for a week when travelling

20F62F0C-288A-43AC-90ED-3531EB852E14.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back