ADVICE for PARKING IDEAS - 3 mths to support College at CARDIFF & BARRY

Stanski

Hello All, local knowledge and advice needed.
Require suggestions or ideas so I could support Cardiff and Vale College who have locations in city centre and also Barry.
Duration is upto Christmas - possibly to February whilst they recruit.
Am looking at 4nights each week commencing 31 Aug, exact days not yet known.
Awkward and costly to travel each day from Taunton.
Cannot park at College locations.
Options I feel available to me are:
- Use MH and park weekly somewhere and use local trains/busses
- Use MH, park in campsite midway and get transport to locations
- Find a host who can accommodate by offering a room or drive or field.
- Local B&B possibly.

Current Thoughts
Stay midway with car in a room, or use MH as a base at a site and use car once set up.

All suggestions and ideas welcome - I have a few weeks to find a solution.
Thanks in advance
Stan

If you stay in your have you considered keeping keeping your batterys topped up

I was brought up in Barry from the age of 14. I didn't pay too much attention to the needs of MH'ers in those days but...

- There is a campsite at Fontygary just up the coast from Barry near Rhoose. I 'think' it's seasonal so may not be open then but maybe worth a contact in your circumstances. Not sure about the buses from there into Barry but they do run from Rhoose.

- There is a good campsite in Cardiff next to Bute Park and the cricket stadium. Open all year. Very central to the city centre so no issues for transport links.

- Failing that are you a member of the big clubs? Might be worth checking out their CL's and CS's and seeing if anything is suitable. You can always join one or the other if you can identify a suitable location, if you are not already a member.

Out of interest can I ask what you will be doing with/at the college?

have you looked on POIs and/or search for sites.

have you though about asking local pubs.

I was brought up in Barry from the age of 14. I didn't pay too much attention to the needs of MH'ers in those days but...

- There is a campsite at Fontygary just up the coast from Barry near Rhoose. I 'think' it's seasonal so may not be open then but maybe worth a contact in your circumstances. Not sure about the buses from there into Barry but they do run from Rhoose.

- There is a good campsite in Cardiff next to Bute Park and the cricket stadium. Open all year. Very central to the city centre so no issues for transport links.

- Failing that are you a member of the big clubs? Might be worth checking out their CL's and CS's and seeing if anything is suitable. You can always join one or the other if you can identify a suitable location, if you are not already a member.

Out of interest can I ask what you will be doing with/at the college?
Thanks for advice GMJ - Will enquire with the Cardiff campsite. One consideration for me is to have an easy journey to the college sites as walking over a mile is a problem with my damaged knees.
Not a member yet of any club but have made contact with a CL at a Farm that may be suitable as an option.
Probably will book a B&B initially to allow some scout work to occur in the first week.
My role at the college will be primarily to deliver electronics, supporting apprentices in obtaining an engineering qualification.

have you looked on POIs and/or search for sites.

have you though about asking local pubs.
Hi R4dent, doing so as part of the research - still analysing options to make life easy especially as winter will be arriving.

Hi molly 2, I have solar, also familiar with battery charging needs. Thanks for thinking of me.
Solar in winter is far less than summer yield. Do the sums.

1629044541149.png

This is the cardiff campsite it is owned by the council.
https://www.cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk/
There is free or cheap overnight parking in cardiff, though I guess your not looking for that.
Thanks Drover, Had previously looked at the campsite - it is an option. Would probably need an electric bike to get around as the knees are not so good for walking that distance to the College.
Any parking option is viable until I can settle into a routine although I am sensitive to noise at night so Laybyes are not easy for me. I have looked at the POI;s and like one or two, but uncertain if a long-term option.
Security of the MH while working is the main concern.

Stick a note on the collage staff board someone might have a bit of space at there house or drive.

This parking did allow overnight parking for motorhomes before covid restrictions. It's safe there, we have stayed loads of times.
Toilets close at night but I guess you have a radar key with dodgy legs.so 24 hrs.about 2oo yds to bus stop .
Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9FH
Not far from campsite in center

... guess you have a radar key with dodgy legs...
Not for me yet Drover - Legs not bad enough to justify that. Have found the location you suggested - Thanks.
Working out bus routes for other options.

You say you want a peaceful night and can use a car once set up, we often use a CL near Newport called Pen-y-Groes it’s £15 pounds a night with electric, Mildred has a shower and toilet as well. Google says Cardiff university is 17 mins away.
It’s very peaceful, Mildred may even let you store MH when not in use.
What Three Words for location are educates.circling.cemented
It’s a CMC club CL
Mildred is 92 !!! Her daughter deals with emails
mildredwalford@gmail.com

Can’t help I’m afraid, but good to hear Mildred is still alive and kicking.
Stayed there for a week while house hunting ten years ago.
If as you say, using the car once set up is an option, Mildred’s place is a good option.
I’m an hours drive from Cardiff so not able to help…sorry.

Hi, we have a room in Cardiff just outside the centre peaceful either drive in or catch the bus. We're on the AirBnB app under Rachel Garcia check it out if suits your requirement?

Hi, we have a room in Cardiff just outside the centre peaceful either drive in or catch the bus. We're on the AirBnB app under Rachel Garcia check it out if suits your requirement?
Hi, have finally got into AirBnB. Do you have a room title that I can search for?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back