Advice for Euro virgins

Mossystone

I hope this is the right place for this request. We plan to make our first trip to Europe in a few weeks time via Hook of Holland, through Holland and down through Germany to Bavaria. We have written to the German Tourist Board and the Bavarian one without even an acknowledgement.
I would like to check any legal requirements for both countries and hope to make use of the stelplaz on route. Can anyone suggest the best publications for non German speaking tourists. We also plan to visit Munich, I understand there are emission control zones, would a 2004 peugeot boxer 1.9 Hdi engine be allowed? if so how do I register for entering cities?
Also we use Calor Lite bottles, is there any simple (cost effective) way to refill, replace or ensure an emergency supply should we run out?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated to help build confidence for the trip.

:nothingtoadd: But I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with the relevant information :wave: have a good trip :wave:

I like the Bord Atlas in Germany. It is written in German, but it is easy to understand. Across the Netherlands I relied on the Camperstop guide.

You can buy a Umwelte zone sticker from this webiste, I guess there is info there on which sticker is appropriate: Informations in English- Umwelt-Plakette.de

If you can't get a sticker, don't panic! I've got a 1991 diesel, so no chance of getting a sticker. We found there are always parking areas on the outskirts of towns with umwelte controls, with an easy walk, or public transport links in. Never visited Munich, but expect it is similar.

There's info on the AA and RAC sites about legal requirements of driving abroad. Ignore the stuff about breathalisers in France, they are just trying to sell you stuff :) Compulsory equipment abroad | AA

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Yeah, bordatlas and acsi card I'd say were both really useful.

There's also a website that allows you to download huge numbers of stellplatz, campsites etc onto your satnav for free. It's Archie's camping - and again we found it invaluable.

We needed motorway vignettes for Austria and Czech republic, which you can get when you are there, but we ordered in advance from tolltickets.com.

Didn't bother with the emmisions thing as we had no plan to drive into the cities.

Brim your tank in Luxembourg if you get a chance. Plus, Lux city is very pretty... And comedy gold as despite having an official language no bugger speaks it and many couldn't identify it. So you get lots of people playing 'which language can we both speak'.

Ooh. And most importantly, don't do what we did on our first trip in the van last year, too much mileage. From memory we did circa 2500 miles in 11 days and it was way too much. And we were only driving for about 6 of those days, so they were circa 400 mile days on average - the novelty wore off quite quickly.

Great as a taster for lots of countries, but we'd at least halve the mileage or double the time next time.

I ordered a umwelt plakette direct from the Berlin (some other websites charge an admin fee) - it doesn't matter where you buy it from, it's valid in every city where needed. Great service - it arrived within 3 days. Online-application environmental zone sticker - Berlin.de

Camperstop was a very useful book for Germany Camperstop Europe 2016 we used several fab stellplatzs from it.

Save up a collection of coins for the stellplatz if you'll be needing EHC, water, waste disposal, and for if there is an overnight charge. We found often that the only card accepted at the machines was the Eurocheque one.

Last edited:
Think you have to go with the flow on milages. We went to France last year and apart from a couple of long hops 250 miles we kept to about 50 miles a day. We did have plenty of time though and didn't always move each day. Stayed in one place for 5 days. After all it's a holiday not an endurance test. You also have to consider the other half. They may seem happy but it must get a bit boring seeing the same old bit of road ALL DAY.

We met one couple when we stopped on the West Coast. We were staying on a really nice camp site overlooking the sea while they were staying on the Aire in the backstreets. The campsite was cheaper than the Aire. They were sitting on their sun loungers in a car park. I asked if they were enjoying it. The wife said it was ok but after a week or so all the places looked the same. She had no idea where they were just another Aire.

Hi Mossystone,

We traveled via Hook of Holland through Holland, Germany and up to Denmark last June, you will have no problems as the German roads and people are great with good quality Stelplaz all over the place.
The fuel is cheap with good euro rates,Take a ACSI book but all sites may have different High and Low periods you could try Vicarious Books for Guides Maps etc if I'm allowed to mention them on here. Google AA or RAC for printable Road laws etc but much the same as UK.We also Use ADAC Plus cover for Germany and the rest of Europe for Breakdown and if you can get as far as Lake Constance it's a great area to camp,Good luck.

Snowbirds.:wave:

I hope this is the right place for this request. We plan to make our first trip to Europe in a few weeks time via Hook of Holland, through Holland and down through Germany to Bavaria. We have written to the German Tourist Board and the Bavarian one without even an acknowledgement.
I would like to check any legal requirements for both countries and hope to make use of the stelplaz on route. Can anyone suggest the best publications for non German speaking tourists. We also plan to visit Munich, I understand there are emission control zones, would a 2004 peugeot boxer 1.9 Hdi engine be allowed? if so how do I register for entering cities?
Also we use Calor Lite bottles, is there any simple (cost effective) way to refill, replace or ensure an emergency supply should we run out?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated to help build confidence for the trip.

If you do decide to buy the Zone sticker (it stays with the vehicle for life) watch where you buy from as there are many rip off sites out there . Take ScamperVans advice as its an easy process and only euro's.( I have dealt with them twice as i changed the van a couple of years ago .)
here is his link
Online-application environmental zone sticker - Berlin.de. You will need to scan your registration docs in a pdf and send them with your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW. instant advice and links to great web sites and books. THANK YOU EVERYONE

I have ordered the screen sticker, checked the legal stuff, downloaded site info onto the garmin and taken note of all the helpful advice and publications.

Will be purchasing the guide books, (I wont put all my trust into electronic devices).

Confidence is building ..

One final question. Can anyone advise on the use of calor lite bottles. Can they be refilled/exchanged or do I have to spend out for a different system? Are there and rules to stop me taking and extra spare cylinder?

travel through germany

hello mossystone,..........I have driven my motorhome through Germany and bits of Holland in the last few years, and like snowbirds said you shouldn`t get much trouble. Remember, most people in Germany speak English, so if you try to ask someone who does not, just find someone else to ask. One thing you do need to be careful of on fast German roads (besides a few people doing up to 100 mph)(dual carriageway type roads) is that often the nearside lane veers off to the right, so you need to pay a bit of concentration or you go the wrong way, and also you will come across junctions and things suddenly. Their road standards and signage occasionally are not like ours especially if roadworks. I knew about the LEZs etc, but to be honest, I did not even consider them, and cannot even remember seeing any signs. I think you would be very unlucky to have an issue over LEZs. I came across the German police once or twice (as in nearly every country I do), but as usual they were friendly and basically as usual, keen to help......have a good trip.....steve bristol.

German tourist information centers

hello mossystone.......I meant to say, I see you are trying to contact German tourist offices before going, but be aware, in every place bigger than a little village, as all over eu, there are English speaking tourist offices with wi fi etc, only too pleased to answer all your questions, and usually with parking outside. The only thing I have had some difficulty finding out is weather or not alpine passes are open, and for that even the websites don't seem to know for sure.....steve bristol

Thanks for the link, A very informative site but (it could be my IT ignorance) I can't see how to contact them from the site. How did you do it please.
looks like they are now all ebrochures .
you could sign up for newsletters a few years ago .

Hi Mossystone,

When we had shorter breaks in Europe I carried the two standard Calorlite and a Camping Gaz with a large burner head to use as an outside backup that i bought over their as it's cheaper in any Supermarket,but once i retired and know spend three months or more in Europe i bought a 6kg Gasit refillable and also take one of the Calorlite full but only use it between fill ups for the shortest possible time if I don't want to move on for a few days then change back to the Gasit.The cost of the Gasit bottle paid for it's self in under two years with a refill in Europe at about €10.00 and you get a discount through the Club for all Gasit parts and Bottles.

Snowbirds.

WOW. instant advice and links to great web sites and books. THANK YOU EVERYONE

I have ordered the screen sticker, checked the legal stuff, downloaded site info onto the garmin and taken note of all the helpful advice and publications.

Will be purchasing the guide books, (I wont put all my trust into electronic devices).

Confidence is building ..

One final question. Can anyone advise on the use of calor lite bottles. Can they be refilled/exchanged or do I have to spend out for a different system? Are there and rules to stop me taking and extra spare cylinder?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back