Added another deterant to hold of thieves

CarlandHels

Just had all windows on our van etched with our registration. So they might change the plates to steal it but it will be costly replacing all the windows round the van. So fingers crossed with steering lock, and windows done they might walk past...

Hey Matey,
Yeah it’s a recurring thought in our minds this battle of ‘What else can I do’ just to make it a bit more difficult for them isn’t it.
Well done you though.

Seems to have gone out of fashion etching windows. At one time every vehicle you saw seemed to be etched. Great idea, did you get the headlights & rear lenses done too? they can be expensive to replace along with the windows

Seems to have gone out of fashion etching windows. At one time every vehicle you saw seemed to be etched. Great idea, did you get the headlights & rear lenses done too? they can be expensive to replace along with the windows

No just got the windows done...

Hey Matey,
Yeah it’s a recurring thought in our minds this battle of ‘What else can I do’ just to make it a bit more difficult for them isn’t it.
Well done you though.

Hiya buddy.. Yeah just thought it would be a good idea. Sometimes the old ways are the best.. We all tend to go for the in thing in security nowadays, but something as simple as etching might be a winner. Even if they change plates and park up somewhere for a day or two, the true reg is still there to see. So hope it deters any thieving gits!!!!

Every little can help in protecting your investment, so long as you have backed it up with good mechanical/electronic forms of protection.

This may only apply to a minority, but a growing minority after Brexit, but if one re-registers the vehicle in another country, as we and many others may do soon, the mis-match between the etched number and the new number may attract too much unwanted police attention.

Might also make some difficulties for prospective buyers in future.

Just a warning thought.

Geoff

I notice the glass etching kits from Ebay don't work on plastic, so I guess something like a Dremmel would be the answer for those.

Cheers

H

This may only apply to a minority, but a growing minority after Brexit, but if one re-registers the vehicle in another country, as we and many others may do soon, the mis-match between the etched number and the new number may attract too much unwanted police attention.

Just a warning thought.

Geoff

As long as you have the paper trail you'll be fine. Like the police give a damn anyway lol

My windows are more likely to be nicked than the van, I'm sure they're worth more.
No worries, just something for plod to look in to!

Groan!

Just had all windows on our van etched with our registration. So they might change the plates to steal it but it will be costly replacing all the windows round the van. So fingers crossed with steering lock, and windows done they might walk past...

Looks as though you’ve got a big van, therefore etching windows won’t be much use as this type of stolen van usually ends up on a gyppo site where the old bill fear to tread.

It would be better to make the van immobile rather than taking steps to retrieve it, like heavy duty double throw deadlocks, immobilisation devices, alarms etc.

Just a warning thought.

Geoff

This may also be a problem for those of us in Scotland if as seems increasingly likely independence happens and we have to reregister our vehicles.

This may also be a problem for those of us in Scotland if as seems increasingly likely independence happens and we have to reregister our vehicles.

I don’t understand your post? Why would we have to reregister our vehicles when we become independent?

I don’t understand your post? Why would we have to reregister our vehicles when we become independent?

As an independent nation we are unlikely to use the vehicle registration agency of another country which is based in Wales, so obviously vehicles will need to be reregistered at a newly set up Scottish agency.
Driving licences too will need to be issued.

I donÂ’t understand your post? Why would we have to reregister our vehicles when we become independent?

What about a change of language, Gaelic number plates. 18 letters I believe?

Last edited:

Just a warning thought.

Geoff

I very rarely see a policeman on the beat far less one having the time to compare window etching to registration numbers

As an independent nation we are unlikely to use the vehicle registration agency of another country which is based in Wales, so obviously vehicles will need to be reregistered at a newly set up Scottish agency.
Driving licences too will need to be issued.

That sounds expensive, probably best stick with us ;)

Very positive post , I like it .

I notice the glass etching kits from Ebay don't work on plastic, so I guess something like a Dremmel would be the answer for those.

Cheers

H

They used some (what looked like) a sandblaster took them 10 mins and all windows done..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back