Add Blue

Alshymer

Hello
Can anyone help.
Having problems with a 2ltr Transit 2018.
The Add Blue warning light is showing malfunction- will not start in 480 miles.
Added 10 litres but engine management light on.
Can anyone suggested a way of solving this?
Thanks

Hello
Can anyone help.
Thanks
Likely need to be plugged in to read where fault lies ....

Our 71 plate relay has just cost a small lump to fix similar issue with heater in the ad blue tank .

Hello
Can anyone help.
Thanks
Make sure you have not overfilled.
Always check the level after any warning before filling.
Check the level on your dash if it’s showing full, try syphoning out a litre. If the gauge still shows full then you may have overfilled.
But sadly this can be caused by many other issues, you will need to have the system read to find out the exact cause, but I did sort my car by doing what I suggested. But the fact that your dash mentioned malfunction suggests you have an issue. and you won’t be alone, Adblue systems are a nightmare on all makes.

Hello
Can anyone help.
Thanks
Was the vehicle level when refilled? Did you try to restart the vehicle afterwards [I did a partial refill on VW Tiguan in the street and the road camber caused the tank float to stick. Reset itself after driving a few minutes on the level road and then stopped/restarted engine. Other people reported this fault on other vehicle, including, IIRC, a Ford Transit]
What capacity is the Adblue Tank and what range do Ford quote? My Tig was 12 Litres, the warning light comes on at 1500 miles left, yet I have never managed to get 10 litres as a refill! I have no gauge so have to rely on the refill valve in the 1.89Ltr Adblue refill bottle that cuts off when the Adblue reaches the tank neck

Steve

Have you managed to fix the problem, if yes, please update this thread. I have 2018 Transit Custom & am concerned that I may have the same worry in the future, thankfully all ok at the moment. Thanks Chris

Hi.
No still looking for the answer. May have to take it in to do a diagnostic!!

• Sad
Reactions: REC

Just had the same problem on 2017 2lt transit based van. Turned out to be faulty injector 2 which then messes up the exhaust and gives the Adblu alarm. I am in the process of having all 4 injectors replaced as the other 3 on their last legs according to diagnostics. Very very common fault on this engine

Mmmm interesting then. When you find out what it is can you post in on this thread please

At work we had a VW Crafter 35 (luton van) which was 2019 plated. If you got truly low, as in circa 500/600 miles left in the adblue, then that had a need for a fill, then a rock and roll drive around the yard to slosh the stuff around !
So it's not just VW by the sound of it, then ... The garage chaps kept talking about workshop time, down time, chargeable work - sounded costly, so that was our fix!

I trust the op has rtfm and followed it?
For my Crafter there are very specific instructions in the manual for refilling.

Oh groan. I am soon going to buy a new Burstner on a Fiat Ducato. I would much prefer an earlier Ducato - remember they did Euro 6 without adblu? BUT I am only changing my mh because my left knee wants an automatic. Those Fiats only had robotised autos, about which I have heard nothing good. So it needs to be a 'new' camper, which inevitably will come with lots of unnecessary computers and dodgy connectors. It's all very well saying take it to a garage for a diagnosis but the last three times I have done this, the diagnosis turned out to be very expensive and WRONG. The diagnostic computers lie, and instead of investigating why the computer says what it does the garage just changes the expensive part that the diagnoser said was faulty. Then it wasn't, so the garage then has to think. And then change the £60 sensor that was the actual fault, not the £1000 new or £500 repaired ABS pump. But by the time they have changed the £500 item and found out it wasn't that, they can't take it off and get a refund.
This is why I have stopmed my foot and got rid of the computerised car and bought a 40 year old Mercedes with hardly any electrics other than the ignition, battery and lights.
So when I get this new camper I am seriously considering getting a £4500 diagnostic computer, ignoring what it says and put my brain into thinking what the actual fault is.
I have a lot of respect for this guy, Diagnose Dan. He starts from the battery and works his way towards the fault. This is just some random video of his to give you the link. His videos are always educational and entertaining.

Well if you do end with Ad Blue the 20l containers from Screwfix are good value.
I have had OEM diags for pretty much every recent vehicle I have owned. The most heavily used and the one that turned out to be the most profitable was the Rover T4 system which could do Rover 25s through to Range Rovers.

The Renault diags were essential for resetting my Grand Scenics AC system which had a weird intermittent fault which turned out to be wiring to the trinary switch.

The BMW system is essential for doing coding.

I have VCDS for VW despite it being a bit limited for my Crafter.

Currently looking to buy a Kia KDS clone for my Soul EV

Diags tools are only any good if the operator has the skill set or often more importantly is allowed sufficient time to use them correctly most fault codes are hints to an issue and not just a method to fire the parts canon at customers expense.

Sadly most garages make their profit from miss diagnosis and the parts canon at the customers expense.

When expensive, best guess, it might fix it maybe, guv type parts are changed always ask for the old part back.
Pay the invoice ‘without prejudice’ and reserve your right to have the allegedly faulty part tested.

loads of bad earths cause the biggest problems, clean and tighten them and it goes away. I have seen the burnt wiring before as people are not bothered about the awkward clips.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back