Adblue can refill question

SimonM

I’m using adblue these days in the Merc. I brought a 10Ltr container from home, used it and went to refill it at a filling station.

With difficulty. The first pump only gave little dribbles at a time - but I finally managed to get 10litres. Success, partially

The next time, it also dribbled bit by bit and then stopped at 8litres. Another partial success, but nearer a failure this time.

Is there an interlock that prevents me from simply filling in the same way as a petrol/diesel pump into a can?

Why is addblue sticky ? . And what are the health concerns, as my lorry now has to store tubs under the bed x 3 tubs. Tight barstools .

I paid £1.67 a liter this week from pump at Southampton service moto. The week befor £2. Ltr ix 10 in tub @ co op petrol station. Now I have to fill tubs 3 X 10 liter, at the yard and carry all week untill needed.

Lorry uses 50 to 60 liters a week. But tank on lorry holds 40 liter. 1400 miles a week.. should I need to store more addblue on lorry all week ?

When I first had AdBlue in 2015 the Mercedes garage said the use by date on the containers was more about the deterioration of disposable plastic containers as the age of the contents. The cheap plastics used in throw away containers start to break down with time, allowing the plasticisers to leach out and pollute the contents. It is the same with water, food grade plastics don’t pollute but cheaper ones can. I got very similar advice a few years later when querying the use by date on the Efoy fuel containers.

The truck filling nozzles have a magnet around the neck to open a valve. It is to try and stop idiots filling the fuel tanks with adblue.

The truck filling nozzles have a magnet around the neck to open a valve. It is to try and stop idiots filling the fuel tanks with adblue.
That’ll be why this idiot can’t refill his adblue can :censored: The damn stuff is 3 times the cost when you buy a 10ltr container.

You need a friendly arable farmer. They get big discounts for large quantities and the VAT back. 😉

I can buy it at £7 for 10 litres at home - but right now we are touring Scandinavia and racking up the miles. I’ve used 20 litres so far and have 8 in my container. I’m going to have to either find a way to get 10L easily from a pump or buy some at a vastly inflated price.

Why is addblue sticky ? . And what are the health concerns, as my lorry now has to store tubs under the bed x 3 tubs. Tight barstools .
It's just a uric acid solution. I guess it's not much worse than having a "golden shower" :(

Mark

I believe there is an adapter that you can buy that allows you to fill your own container from the pump
Any luck finding one? I can only find adapters for pumping from a barrel, or magnetic ones to avoid misfilling of tanks but which say they can’t be used to fill barrels.

7 years ago when I was running heavy trucks adblue was £1.50/litre in 10 litre cans on motorway services, we bought it at 27p/litre for 1000litres - it's always been a ridiculous rip off which was never addressed by government despite them wanting us all to go euro6 and ever greener. Hardly an encouragement.

I can understand truckers and other big users looking for cheaper AdBlue. However the cost of what I used when I had a Hymer Mercedes from 2015 to 2019 probably added up to about 1p per mile for AdBlue compared to about 25p per mile for diesel. My new van uses AdBlue and measured against all the other running costs the AdBlue doesn’t seem like such a big deal. Have I got my maths badly wrong or am I missing something?

My car does 2000 miles a year and I haven’t refilled the Adblue in several years.

My MH has done over 5000 miles in the past 7 weeks and I’ve added 20 litres so far. I’d much prefer to save some money if I can, and the truckers pumped price is a hell of a saving.

Back