Acceptable damp levels?

barryd

Ok so I am close to getting a new(er) van. Yesterday I spent two hours looking at one. A swift Esprit 496 with a luton cab of 2014 vintage. I struck kind of lucky as I am in contact with the previous owner (Van is at a dealers where he part ex'd it) so he has given me loads of impartial info. I think they were built with one shell so hopefully damp wont be too much of an issue. I will insist on a current hab check and damp test of course before parting with any cash. when looking at the van I came across the most recent hab check damp test from 2020. I googled the readings and nearly all of them are within acceptable good limits but there are one or two as far as I can make out are reading 21. Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on this.

IMG20220501133233-Large.jpg

The diagram at the bottom was the one I was concerned with but I cant really make out which parts of the van they are. According to the Caravan and Motorhome club site here https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-...l-tips-advice/motorhomes/damp-meter-readings/

Readings between 0-15% no cause for concern

Readings between 15-20% engineer to make note of readings and recheck at next service.

Readings between 20-24% possible early sign of water ingress, look for tangible evidence or ask for Recheck.

Readings between 25-30% moisture evident, remedial work necessary, may not require stripdown unless surface damage (staining, pimpling and softness) is apparent. There is a risk of wallboard deterioration due to retained moisture in the structure if re sealed only.

Reading of 31% and above structural damage is occurring, deterioration inevitable, full stripdown of affected area is required

Last edited:
Give me clue, where are the 21 readings ? My corncern apart from it’s a Swift would be it’s been very dry over the last 2 months with little rain so I would be concerned about any readings in the twenties.

Just a quick note Barry, A lot of personal details at top left. You may want to edit? (y)

Give me clue, where are the 21 readings ? My corncern apart from it’s a Swift would be it’s been very dry over the last 2 months with little rain so I would be concerned about any readings in the twenties.

That bottom diagram (see expanded pic below). That hab check was in the paperwork and as said was from two years ago.

screenshot-1961.jpg

I think that the "21"s are actually "12"s upside down.

The clue is the word "shower"

View attachment 108300

Ah haaaaa! Spot the wildcamping genius that hasnt got a hangover like me today! :D

Well spotted. What I will do then is insist on a new check which I think they do before it goes out anyway. Six months warranty with this and I have a feeling there is a ten year Swift warranty possibly. Must look into that.

Nice one.

Swift have been making caravans for 60 years now l heard on local radio today, l wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, although it might come in handy.

Swift have been making caravans for 60 years now l heard on local radio today, l wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, although it might come in handy.

If you can suggest an alternative with a rear lounge, Alko extended chassis and a payload of 950kg that can take a scooter on the back then Im all ears! :D

I would also stay clear of alko chassis aswell ,for 2014 swift money I'd be looking for an excellent rmb pre 93 but you wouldn't get the rear lounge. I really wouldn't risk it for a swiftgit.

Apologies ,for 44,gs you'd get two rmb,s,l think we have different mindsets in motorhomes barry,id still be very wary buying a swift though.

That's a very dry motorhome....

Good to know thanks. I think its a single shell body I believe. Perhaps Swifts reputation may improve I dunno. Mind you our leaky kontiki as they were once named is still dry! Had a damp issue about 10 years ago but it was sorted and been fine since. Ill still demand a current check though as that one is two years old. It may well end up stored undercover over winter anyway which if nothing else will help keep it clean. Assuming we get it of course. Im so close now I can smell it.

I think that most Swifts leak. There may be a few exceptions. Let's hope you've found one. Personally. I'd not buy a Swift.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back