A30 Chiverton Roundabout

witzend

As part of the A30 Dueling road improvements the Chiverton Roundabout will be closed for 3 days 16 to 19 June So if in the area plan ahead as diversions will be in place for these 3 days no doubt causing havoc in all the surrounding areas

Last edited:
Thanks for the 'heads up'. It's been duelling there for a couple of years judging by some of the road rage I've seen in the dozen or so trips I've done that way since lockdown. I'll be glad when it's all over and it's one section more of dual carriageway between Exeter and Penzance...

The only Dueling Road I know of is the 1971 Spielberg film
That doesn't need improving, edge of the seat stuff for the whole film.
Yes, but did you know they used some of the tanker footage from "Duel" in another film?

Last edited:
Possibly the last big (£8M) infrastructure investment from the EU regional development fund?

Possibly the last big (£8M) infrastructure investment from the EU regional development fund?
With the total project cost of £330M, that £8M is a drop in the ocean. Perhaps good to bear in mind that the UK was a net contributor to EU funds, making a net average payment of £6.4 billion a year in the five years prior to leaving...

Seems like a bargain when you consider we have been paying them €12B pa since 2020 😀
I'd be interested in your reference for that figure as the best estimate I've seen so far is a net contribution for the period 2021 to 2027 of €19.8B -- that's in total, not per annum, and hence represents an annual average of €19.8/7 = €2.83B , or roughly a quarter of the figure you quote.

I'd be interested in your reference for that figure as the best estimate I've seen so far is a net contribution for the period 2021 to 2027 of €19.8B -- that's in total, not per annum, and hence represents an annual average of €19.8/7 = €2.83B , or roughly a quarter of the figure you quote.

Sure, we will pay the last payment in 2060 there is no definitive total at it will vary according to exchange rates.

From December 2020, the payments accrue twice a year. By 31 December 2021, the UK had paid a net amount of £11 billion and was due to have paid a further net £3.3 billion to the end of May, with future current payments of almost €900 million a month.

All info available through the HoC library portal.

Sure, we will pay the last payment in 2060 there is no definitive total at it will vary according to exchange rates.

From December 2020, the payments accrue twice a year. By 31 December 2021, the UK had paid a net amount of £11 billion and was due to have paid a further net £3.3 billion to the end of May, with future current payments of almost €900 million a month.

All info available through the HoC library portal.

Thanks for that. I see that the way the Treasury calculate this differs from the way many financial analysts do since the Treasury calculations take no account of money paid directly to UK entities rather than via HM Treasury. When this is taken into account, the figures you and I have roughly corroborate -- at least for the period up to 2020.

Of note is that the estimated payments to 2060 have already dwindled to just a few million and the total projected for period 2020 to 2065 is £34.1B -- an average of less than a billion a year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back