A19 or A1(M)?

Tonybvi

Off to see Mick and his excellent team again at SAP (Doncaster) next month, travelling from Aberdeenshire and overnighting around Newcastle. Last time we stopped off near Tebay (west side to visit FIL) but this time I’m planning on the more direct route. After Newcastle what’s recommended- A19 or A1(M)?

Any comments much appreciated.

A19 due to the long term roadworks on the A1. It is a bit of a crawl for around 5 miles plus there is a 50 mph limit South of Gateshead for more roadworks. The A19 avoids all that and the dual carriageway just before the Tunnel has been improved, doing away with the Coast Road interchange roundabout and traffic lights. They are currently busy getting rid of the Testo roundabout South of the Tyne but that should not cause any real delay.

Given the chance, I’d use the A19, plenty of lay-bys to stick the kettle on. But…. don’t think about overnighting in any of the lay-bys, strange things happen to diesel tanks. They might leave you enough to get to the next filling station, but not guaranteed.

A1(M)

But the A68 Edinburgh to Darlington what i'd be doing.
Hadn‘t thought of that route. Often take the A68 from Edinburgh to Jedburgh to visit family and then on via the A696 to Newcastle but never carried on down the A68. Is it a decent enough road bearing in mind I’m planning Aberdeen to Doncaster with only 1 overnight stop?

Hadn‘t thought of that route. Often take the A68 from Edinburgh to Jedburgh to visit family and then on via the A696 to Newcastle but never carried on down the A68. Is it a decent enough road bearing in mind I’m planning Aberdeen to Doncaster with only 1 overnight stop?
I use it regularly and you will avoid the main roadworks around the Newcastle western bypass (car park) and A19 as you get towards Teesside.

Plenty of wildcamping spots west of Newcastle so you dont have to detour much off that route.

Its a main A road so no issues in a MH.

The A19 had a closed section just South of the Tyne Tunnel a few weeks ago, has it re-opened? If not, I'd avoid for now.

Went from Teesside to North shields on the A19 yesterday, a bit busy around the Bishop Auckland turnoff, but the new bit of road at Testo's is now open.
Personally unless the roadworks are really bad, I'd A1m it.

M74 ..A66.. A1M ..
That’s exactly the route I took home last time Wully but as we forever seem to be going down the west side (Sue’s dad lives in Preston) I reckon on travelling at least one way down the east side for a change.
Enjoy your holiday and note that I had finished working and was living a life of leisure when I was 56!!!

I live in Durham - A1M for me but would avoid the Angel at rush hour as it can be slow. That said, I do prefer the A68 when in the motorhome.

I have been up and down there to Scotland a couple of times since the start of summer and always used A1M without any problem. I do aim for either mid morning or mid afternoon to be passing around Newcastle though which may help with traffic

its a great road, bit of a roller coaster in places but very rewarding drive, I always use it instead of other options for Edinburgh, you'll loose 10-15mins against the A1 but you'll enjoy it much more.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back