A1/A47 Junction

Tbear

The picnic area and truck-stop opposite Sacrwell Farm entrance and just east of the above junction is closed for redevelopment. The picnic area may reopen but the main parking area will be flood plain. This is because that part of the A47 is being turned into a dual carriageway. Not sure if it was in the POI as it was a bit notorious but I do know that some people used to overnight there.

Richard

Thanks for that Richard. In its heyday, it was a very handy overnight stop, being adjacent to the A1, with toilets that were very clean, and the opportunity to have a casual walk along the river, at the end of the day. I suppose it was inevitable that it would get hijacked eventually but when the toilets were closed down, it became a smelly unattractive place to stop, and maybe it is a good thing that it has now closed.

Thanks for that Richard. In its heyday, it was a very handy overnight stop, being adjacent to the A1, with toilets that were very clean, and the opportunity to have a casual walk along the river, at the end of the day. I suppose it was inevitable that it would get hijacked eventually but when the toilets were closed down, it became a smelly unattractive place to stop, and maybe it is a good thing that it has now closed.

Hi Rog,

Yes, sadly over the years the lowlife characters have taken it over. I sometimes cycle through there. The rubbish left on the floor leaves clear evidence of what it is frequently used for. I did once try to get the council to open it as an Aire but was told that the police, highways and the council all wanted rid of it. Too far out to police or control and too expensive to constantly have to clear up. Not even the travelling community seemed to want to have anything to do with it. A great shame as it is a wonderful spot on the banks of the Nene, at the junction of a major east/west and a major north/south route. Be nice if we get the picnic spot back which I was given a verbal promise for at the public consultation. I did not see a road on to it on the plan though.

Richard

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back